PDA

View Full Version : The Social Network

katiemac
09-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Peter Travers calls it "the movie of the year that also brilliantly defines the decade." There's award talk for Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield and Justin Timberlake.

I will be surprised if Aaron Sorkin goes unrecognized for adapted screenplay. Eisenberg and Garfield are excellent. Timberlake struggles some. But it's an excellent, solid film and I don't think Travers's statement above is unfounded. It may not be the film of the year, but it certainly addresses the decade. It looks great, sounds great (music by Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails) and David Fincher makes some smart decisions in terms of directing.

So... yeah. Go see it (http://www.thesocialnetwork-movie.com/).

Toothpaste
09-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Been looking forward to this since I heard about it. Am planning on seeing this weekend. I'm a big Sorkin fan, and also love Jesse Eisenberg, so I'm kind of totally the audience for this film :) .

KTC
09-29-2010, 07:42 PM
I can't WAIT to see this one! The movie looks great and I'm a huge Eisenberg fan. That guy has the chops!

ChronicSelfEditor
09-29-2010, 07:43 PM
This movie has zero appeal for me, but if I hear of anyone I know wanting to see it, I will pass on the review.

BenPanced
09-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Saw an interesting article about how the advance reviews are beyond glowing for this one, and what the backlash is going to be like once it gets out to the general public.

katiemac
09-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Saw an interesting article about how the advance reviews are beyond glowing for this one, and what the backlash is going to be like once it gets out to the general public.

I don't know; maybe. But everyone I know who has seen it (general public and people in the biz, alike) really enjoyed it.

Shadow_Ferret
09-29-2010, 08:42 PM
This movie has zero appeal for me, but if I hear of anyone I know wanting to see it, I will pass on the review.

Yeah. I don't get the buzz about it. The promos look boring. The story of Facebook. Really? *yawn*

katiemac
09-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Yeah. I don't get the buzz about it. The promos look boring. The story of Facebook. Really? *yawn*

There's a lot of talk about Facebook, but it's less about the site itself and how a 20-year-old guy became the youngest billionaire in the space of a few years. It also simultaneously (and nicely) addresses the world we live in now, thanks to the Internet.

Shadow_Ferret
09-29-2010, 09:06 PM
That's ok. I'll read that paragraph when the newest history books come out. :D

kuwisdelu
09-29-2010, 09:14 PM
I have zero interest in Facebook, but I think the movie looks pretty good.

Toothpaste
10-05-2010, 02:25 AM
Saw it. LOVED it. Even if you have no interest in the subject matter, it's still so well worth watching just as a character drama.

Also as writers it is wonderful to see truly brilliant writing. Aaron Sorkin is getting so much credit for this film's amazingness it's eclipsing the directing and acting (which is also fantastic) - and to his credit it's been so long since I've been wonderfully surprised by a joke, or impressed by the structure of the storytelling. I always maintained that the West Wing was one of the funniest shows on television.

robeiae
10-05-2010, 02:35 AM
I enjoyed the crap out of the made-for-TV movie, Pirates of Silcon Valley. I always thought it could have worked on the big screen. I'm looking forward to this one, as is my daughter.

willietheshakes
10-05-2010, 03:11 AM

I know what you mean: the making of laws and foreign policy. Relationships on the edge of power. In the United States. Who cares?

And talk talk talk. All that ever happens is talking.

God, what a fucking yawn. Who would be interested in such a thing?!?!?

(Best. Television series. Ever.)

Zoombie
10-05-2010, 03:16 AM
You can make a good film out of anything.

This film is just one of the many many MANY films that proves that axiom.

xitomatl
10-05-2010, 06:14 AM
I have zero interest in Facebook, but I think the movie looks pretty good.

That's pretty much what I think too. At first I thought Zuckerberg had something to do with it and REALLY had no interest in it, but when I heard he had nothing to do with it, and it's not necessarily the best light he's painted in (so I've heard...), that piqued my interest.

Like Facebook or not, it's really culturally significant.

Toothpaste
10-05-2010, 07:43 AM
Oh he's definitely not painted in a good light. But nor is he a villain. It's complex. How lovely. :)

katiemac
10-05-2010, 08:23 PM
That's pretty much what I think too. At first I thought Zuckerberg had something to do with it and REALLY had no interest in it, but when I heard he had nothing to do with it, and it's not necessarily the best light he's painted in (so I've heard...), that piqued my interest.

Like Facebook or not, it's really culturally significant.

He was supposed to be involved. But supposedly he wanted too much control and Sorkin/Fincher/Spacey moved on without him.

Satori1977
10-06-2010, 07:00 PM
I agree with Ferret. Sounds boring, but because of the rave reviews, Sorkin and Eisenberg, I will probably watch it.

BenPanced
10-06-2010, 07:15 PM
I agree with Ferret. Sounds boring, but because of the rave reviews, Sorkin and Eisenberg, I will probably watch it.
:Huh:

If it sounds boring, how do the reviews and the talent attached trump all?

Zoombie
10-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Because anything can SOUND boring if you work hard on it.

Like... insomniac, bat obsessed billionaire tries to find the annoying clown who keeps bothering him.

Actually, never-mind, that sounds like a neat movie...

Diana Hignutt
10-06-2010, 08:47 PM
I love this director- David Fichner. He can do no wrong.

Lhun
10-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Because anything can SOUND boring if you work hard on it.Sounds like a great idea for a forum game.