The Social Network

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Peter Travers calls it "the movie of the year that also brilliantly defines the decade." There's award talk for Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield and Justin Timberlake.

I will be surprised if Aaron Sorkin goes unrecognized for adapted screenplay. Eisenberg and Garfield are excellent. Timberlake struggles some. But it's an excellent, solid film and I don't think Travers's statement above is unfounded. It may not be the film of the year, but it certainly addresses the decade. It looks great, sounds great (music by Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails) and David Fincher makes some smart decisions in terms of directing.

So... yeah. Go see it.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Been looking forward to this since I heard about it. Am planning on seeing this weekend. I'm a big Sorkin fan, and also love Jesse Eisenberg, so I'm kind of totally the audience for this film :) .

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I can't WAIT to see this one! The movie looks great and I'm a huge Eisenberg fan. That guy has the chops!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Saw an interesting article about how the advance reviews are beyond glowing for this one, and what the backlash is going to be like once it gets out to the general public.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Saw an interesting article about how the advance reviews are beyond glowing for this one, and what the backlash is going to be like once it gets out to the general public.

I don't know; maybe. But everyone I know who has seen it (general public and people in the biz, alike) really enjoyed it.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. I don't get the buzz about it. The promos look boring. The story of Facebook. Really? *yawn*

There's a lot of talk about Facebook, but it's less about the site itself and how a 20-year-old guy became the youngest billionaire in the space of a few years. It also simultaneously (and nicely) addresses the world we live in now, thanks to the Internet.

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Saw it. LOVED it. Even if you have no interest in the subject matter, it's still so well worth watching just as a character drama.

Also as writers it is wonderful to see truly brilliant writing. Aaron Sorkin is getting so much credit for this film's amazingness it's eclipsing the directing and acting (which is also fantastic) - and to his credit it's been so long since I've been wonderfully surprised by a joke, or impressed by the structure of the storytelling. I always maintained that the West Wing was one of the funniest shows on television.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I enjoyed the crap out of the made-for-TV movie, Pirates of Silcon Valley. I always thought it could have worked on the big screen. I'm looking forward to this one, as is my daughter.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. I don't get the buzz about it. The promos look boring. The story of Facebook. Really? *yawn*

I know what you mean: the making of laws and foreign policy. Relationships on the edge of power. In the United States. Who cares?

And talk talk talk. All that ever happens is talking.

God, what a fucking yawn. Who would be interested in such a thing?!?!?

(Best. Television series. Ever.)

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
You can make a good film out of anything.

This film is just one of the many many MANY films that proves that axiom.

xitomatl

Celsius 232
Registered
Reaction score
I have zero interest in Facebook, but I think the movie looks pretty good.

That's pretty much what I think too. At first I thought Zuckerberg had something to do with it and REALLY had no interest in it, but when I heard he had nothing to do with it, and it's not necessarily the best light he's painted in (so I've heard...), that piqued my interest.

Like Facebook or not, it's really culturally significant.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I think too. At first I thought Zuckerberg had something to do with it and REALLY had no interest in it, but when I heard he had nothing to do with it, and it's not necessarily the best light he's painted in (so I've heard...), that piqued my interest.

Like Facebook or not, it's really culturally significant.

He was supposed to be involved. But supposedly he wanted too much control and Sorkin/Fincher/Spacey moved on without him.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Ferret. Sounds boring, but because of the rave reviews, Sorkin and Eisenberg, I will probably watch it.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Because anything can SOUND boring if you work hard on it.

Like... insomniac, bat obsessed billionaire tries to find the annoying clown who keeps bothering him.

Actually, never-mind, that sounds like a neat movie...

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love this director- David Fichner. He can do no wrong.