Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
Dear Content Producer for XYZ web site-

Allow me to introduce myself, I am the person your supervisor hired to insure you don't look like a drooling idiot in print and pixel. I am friend to your befuddled readers and to this language we supposedly share. Up until now, you haven't been very nice to my friends. Let's quickly go over the rules before any more blood is shed.

1. If you salt your content with jargon, I will pepper it with deletions. Ask yourself, "Would my mother know what the hell I'm talking about?" If you're still wondering, the answer is no.
  2. Don't make up acronyms. I check every one. There are better ways to get into Wikipedia.
  3. Don't use an acronym without defining it first. Putting something down that looks like a dyslexic attempt at the alphabet makes babies cry.
  4. Um, just stay away from acronyms. Play with knives instead.
  5. I check citations and credentials too. No fakies now.
  6. String beads. String daisies. String cheese, but don't string clauses. The last clause in a long string doesn't even have a nodding aquaintance with the subject. They should at least be Facebook friends.
  7. You gave me a sentence that contained seven elements in a compound subject AND 75 words. I've ordered your execution. Your mother agrees with me.
  8. Large or scrolly fonts piss me off.
  9. Left hand alignments make the world a better place. Right hand alignments make me throw up on my keyboard.
  10. Articles are good. Random punctuation is bad. Stay away from Mr. Exclamation Point, he's evil.
  11. Words have very distinct meanings and you don't get to change those meanings to suit your content. Yes, "Speed the death through the roller loophole" sounds really cool, but you can't use that to describe setting up a server. Your mother agrees with me on this point too.
  12. I don't care if your content is darling of Death Row inmates, no one will read a list containing 38 bullet points.
  13. Make one point per sentence. Yes, I realize your point looks lonely all by himself but he's really better off alone. Remember what happened with the Tribbles.
  14. Don't digress. Your lonely point doesn't need backstory. Save it for your mother. You should call her more often.
Follow these rules to live well and to stanch the blood flowing from your content pages.

Best regards,

Carol whose brain is oogy because she's been editing your crap all day

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Great stuff, Carol. Thanks for sharing it here.

I was thinking the folks who frequent Roundtable might also enjoy your perspective. If you don't mind, I can move this thread there when it's had a good run in this room.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm liking it. Not having a great day here. The laugh helped. (Or should I have written TLH?)

Maryn, nudging you with an elbow

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! When I read this I have to think where you must have been when the world; comes to an end and there /you are all alone leaving the world to think ,,you are Pocahontas on a pogo-stick laugh-laughing at the moon! LMAO! The GAA AACP 3CCQ has said your editing is commendable,, where I met your sister is Tuscaloosa on a grocery trip with her daughter buying some shoes and they found this very pretty dress for a dance that's being held at the community hall in this small town right outside of their small town! I know! It'''s so awesome/!

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I think this needs to be a blog post that will get stumbled and tweeted and whatever else happens to great posts...

Fantastic stuff, Carol. Your mother agrees... :tongue

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
As promised (though I almost forgot to, damn aging brain), we'll see what the good folks in Roundtable think of this ode.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
OMG I can't stop laughing! Please, please post this to your FB so I can like it and share it and all that good stuff! Friend me on FB so I can do this and send it to my copyeditor (who has 125 separate queries on my book, eek).

Oh, and I'm a freelance copyeditor. Your OP should be framed on my wall. :Hail: :Hail: :Hail:

Qbynewbie

New but not a kid anymore :)
Registered
Reaction score
Thank your for a great laugh! :)

LOL! When I read this I have to think where you must have been when the world; comes to an end and there /you are all alone leaving the world to think ,,you are Pocahontas on a pogo-stick laugh-laughing at the moon! LMAO! The GAA AACP 3CCQ has said your editing is commendable,, where I met your sister is Tuscaloosa on a grocery trip with her daughter buying some shoes and they found this very pretty dress for a dance that's being held at the community hall in this small town right outside of their small town! I know! It'''s so awesome/!

And thank you, too! :D

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Brilliant. Thanks for posting.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I knew I loved you for something other than your fabulous good looks! Brilliant!

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
OMG I can't stop laughing! Please, please post this to your FB so I can like it and share it and all that good stuff! Friend me on FB so I can do this and send it to my copyeditor (who has 125 separate queries on my book, eek).

Oh, and I'm a freelance copyeditor. Your OP should be framed on my wall. :Hail: :Hail: :Hail:

But Alice, we are friends on FB. On FB, I look like this and answer to name Carol Kabat. :)

(No one ever recognizes me with one head.)

Status
Not open for further replies.