PDA

View Full Version : And...canceled.

dragonjax
09-29-2010, 05:29 AM
Okay, so LONE STAR isn't canceled after two episodes - but it is officially shelved (http://www.tvguide.com/News/Lone-Star-Shelved-1023754.aspx).

I shouldn't bother watching new shows. Ever.

(Be careful, Hawaii Five-O. I'm watching you. And we've seen what happens when I watch shows that I enjoy.)

AlexPiper
09-29-2010, 05:49 AM
I shouldn't bother watching new shows. Ever.

(Be careful, Hawaii Five-O. I'm watching you. And we've seen what happens when I watch shows that I enjoy.)

These days, I'm stunned when any series I find during the first season survives past that season's finale. I was holding my breath for Castle, but it seems to have staying power!

Of course, USA or SyFy shows are a fairly safe bet. USA is pretty good about not launching a series until they're fairly sure about it, and SyFy just lets /everything/ stick around even if they actually /should/ cancel it.

xitomatl
09-29-2010, 06:16 AM
Two of my absolute favourite shows ever were cancelled far, far, far before their times:

Carnivale
Dead Like Me

I would have added Futurama to that list, but thankfully the Fox execs pulled their heads out of their asses for two seconds, and started it back up.

Carnivale was particularly a bad blow because they left so much open at the end of the very last season. Brilliant writing, brilliant cinematography, brilliant art direction. I still have open wounds from that one.

katiemac
09-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Okay, so LONE STAR isn't canceled after two episodes - but it is officially shelved (http://www.tvguide.com/News/Lone-Star-Shelved-1023754.aspx).

Entertainment Weekly says canceled (http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/09/28/lone-star-canceled/).

AlexPiper
09-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Carnivale
Dead Like Me

The Carnivale creators have actually posted resolutions to all the dangling plot threads and explained what would've happened (thankfully).

Dead Like Me got a really wretched movie conclusion, and the creator went on to make Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies... both of which were /also/ brilliant, and both of which were /also/ cancelled before their time. Bryan Fuller just doesn't seem able to win with his own pitches...

Wendy Jenae
09-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Fox is notorious for canceling shows after one or two episodes. They've been doing it for years.

These days, I primarily watch cable shows. It seems like the only networks really taking chances are AMC, HBO, Showtime, USA, FX, etc.

What is most frustrating is that networks won't give quality shows a chance to find an audience, but yet they push hard to make a sitcom like "Sh--t My Dad Says" get on the air in rapid speed.

Leah J. Utas
09-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Blang. I loved Lone Star. Haven't seen Monday's ep. yet.
I, too, must be careful about the shows I love.

Grrarrgh
09-29-2010, 05:28 PM
I loved Dead Like Me. And Moonlight. And Pushing Daisies. And Firefly. And a whole host of other shows that were canceled before their time. These days, I'm almost tempted to not start a new show until after the first season has aired and it's picked up for a second season, just so I don't get hooked on it. This year, I've only picked up Hawaii 5-0, and I just have to pray that it sticks around.

ChaosTitan
09-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Hawaii 5-0 has had some stellar ratings, so they are probably safe.

I hate to say it, but canceling Lone Star doesn't surprise me at all. When was the last time a primetime soap that wasn't focused on teens (90210, One Tree Hill, The OC) actually took off and thrived on network TV?

katiemac
09-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Fox is notorious for canceling shows after one or two episodes. They've been doing it for years.

Lone Star isn't really a Fox-isolated incident, though. Any network would have canceled it after two. The ratings were terrible.

BenPanced
09-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Anybody else remember when "only" 4.1 million viewers was enough to make it an unbridled success? No? Just me? Okay, I'll shut up.

(Kind of like when one of Madonna's albums sold "only" 3.5 million copies in its first weekend and it was declared a flop. She wrinkled up her forehead and said "A flop? Triple platinum? By whose standards?")

KTC
09-29-2010, 07:48 PM
I still can't believe CHRISTINE was canned. I loved that show.

Shadow_Ferret
09-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Lone Star? They had a show about the guy from Space Balls?

dragonjax
09-29-2010, 09:41 PM
The Carnivale creators have actually posted resolutions to all the dangling plot threads and explained what would've happened (thankfully).

They did? I'll have to find those. I was hooked on Carnivale, and very pissed off when it was canceled.

dragonjax
09-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Anybody else remember when "only" 4.1 million viewers was enough to make it an unbridled success? No? Just me? Okay, I'll shut up.

(Kind of like when one of Madonna's albums sold "only" 3.5 million copies in its first weekend and it was declared a flop. She wrinkled up her forehead and said "A flop? Triple platinum? By whose standards?")

THIS.

GeorgeK
09-30-2010, 01:53 AM
Hawaii 5-0 has had some stellar ratings, so they are probably safe.

That's what they said about "Farscape".

ChaosTitan
09-30-2010, 02:19 AM
That's what they said about "Farscape".

And? "Farscape" was on for several seasons and it got a miniseries. It wasn't canceled after two aired episodes.

wyntermoon
09-30-2010, 02:57 AM
They did? I'll have to find those. I was hooked on Carnivale, and very pissed off when it was canceled.

Oooooooooooh, I was too! The cinematography in that show was brilliant; I just enjoyed *looking* at it though the second season wasn't as strong as the first.

xitomatl
09-30-2010, 05:09 AM

Ya, I know, but it's not anywhere near the same as being able to watch them. The brilliance in that show was the writing interconnecting all these things. I almost didn't read what would have happened. Now I'm kind of sorry I did.

Dead Like Me got a really wretched movie conclusion, and the creator went on to make Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies... both of which were /also/ brilliant, and both of which were /also/ cancelled before their time.

I don't even count the Dead Like Me movie. No Rube, and the woman they got to play Daisy was god-awful. I never did catch Wonderfalls or Pushing Daisies. Pushing Daisies looked really similar to Dead Like Me though.

Bryan Fuller just doesn't seem able to win with his own pitches...

Reminds me of somebody else *cough*Joss Whedon*cough*. Don't even get me started on Firefly being cancelled ;).

nmulder81
09-30-2010, 05:58 AM
I remember one show I was totally bummed got canned...anyone remember American Gothic with Gary Cole? I loved that show. I think it only went 1 season. Might not have even finished the entire season. It was early to mid 90's.

rugcat
09-30-2010, 07:18 AM
I loved Dead Like Me. And Moonlight. And Pushing Daisies. And Firefly. And a whole host of other shows that were canceled before their time. These days, I'm almost tempted to not start a new show until after the first season has aired and it's picked up for a second season, just so I don't get hooked on it. This year, I've only picked up Hawaii 5-0, and I just have to pray that it sticks around.You are not the demographic. People on this board are writers. Writers are not the demographic for TV.

For every person who likes great writing, quirky plots, and fine acting, there are ten who are simply bored, and flip the remote over to the familiar comfort of According to Jim (8 seasons)

There are some exceptions, shows that appeal to almost everybody from teens to elderly writers, but they are few and far between.

heyjude
10-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Dragonjax, I feel your pain. I loved Lone Star. I, too, am feeling like the kiss of death.

There are several shows that sounded kind of promising this time around that I didn't bother with, thinking they'd be cancelled just as I got interested, but I fell for it with Lone Star...

FWIW, somewhere (Zap2It?) they said they're going to burn off the remaining 4 epis on the weekends.

Diane Amy
10-01-2010, 06:13 PM
I remember one show I was totally bummed got canned...anyone remember American Gothic with Gary Cole? I loved that show. I think it only went 1 season. Might not have even finished the entire season. It was early to mid 90's.

Someone's at the door.... someone's at the door.

That so creeped me out!

Yep, I remember American Gothic.

shawkins
10-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Ah, crap. I caught an episode of Lone Star on monday and liked it quite a bit.

One I really miss is Action, the Jay Mohr as a sleazy hollywood producer sitcom from the early 2000s. It was about the funniest thing I've ever seen on TV, and the dialogue was brilliant.

Remmik
10-02-2010, 08:10 PM
I think part of the problem, too, was the Lone Star would have been better suited for cable TV where it could find its niche audience.

JanDarby
10-02-2010, 08:17 PM
I still can't believe that ANYONE thought a show about a conman stealing people's life's savings would appeal to a country that's really, really, really angry right now at assorted entities who have stolen people's life's savings.

heyjude
10-02-2010, 11:52 PM
I still can't believe that ANYONE thought a show about a conman stealing people's life's savings would appeal to a country that's really, really, really angry right now at assorted entities who have stolen people's life's savings.

But he was really, really cute.

:gone:

No, seriously, IMO it was a complex issue, well-handled, and I did end up having some sympathy for the MC. But I get why a lot of people weren't willing to go along with that premise.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
10-04-2010, 04:48 AM
But he was really, really cute.

Yeah, I thought it might last a little longer just because they were so willing to show him without his shirt.

There was a rumor on Ain't it Cool News that the show might move over to FX--at least to air the canned eps.

dclary
10-04-2010, 06:09 AM
Lone Star? They had a show about the guy from Space Balls?

Now THAT'S a show I would watch!!!