What is the most important part of a book?

What is the most important aspect of a story?

• Option 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option 2

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Option 3

• Option 4

• Option 5

• Option 6

• Option 7

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Another aspect (explain?)

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ANinfinity

I'm plenty of fish in the sea
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What is the most important aspect of a book that makes you like it? In other words, which one of these directions that one can take when writing a novel is the most important to you?

Sorry for the convoluted poll format, I was more limited in character length than I expected.

Option 1: A story that is action driven. It is all about fun and not about depth. The characters are flat or stereotypes, but it doesn’t matter.

Option 2: A story that is action driven, but characterization is deep.

Option 3: A simplified writing style that doesn’t seem to try to show off the author’s ability to abuse a thesaurus.

Option 4: A more verbose work that challenges your grasp of the English language, but in doing so offers some very deep perspectives that otherwise would be overlooked.

Option 5: A story with little hard action, but plenty of suspense and tension.

Option 6: A story with little plot that instead focuses on description and building a universe from scratch and making it real and believable.

Option 7: A story that gives a lot of action at times, but slows it down a little to give the reader a chance to breath (so to speak).

Last edited:

ANinfinity

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All or none of the above, as long as it's interesting.

How can it be all if some of the options are conflicting and opposites?

Invincibility

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
How can it be all if some of the options are conflicting and opposites?
Because different writers do different kinds of stories in different ways. And it all depends on how each option is written.

ANinfinity

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because different writers do different kinds of stories in different ways. And it all depends on how each option is written.

Welcome to the board!

ANinfinity

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I judge a book by it's price first, though. lol

Reaction score
None of the above. The most important thing about books to me is whether they make you think. I love it when I think back about particular situations/themes even months after I've finished the book.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
It really depends. I read a wide variety of literature. Next on my reading list, once I complete Incriminating Evidence,by Sheldon Siegel, is a novel translated from Japanese into American-- The 210th Day by Soskei Natsume (1915). It could be a combination of any of the options, or none at all. :)

Qbynewbie

New but not a kid anymore :)
Registered
Reaction score
Huh? You described kinds of stories, not parts of stories.

+1

The poll describes various kinds of stories, any of which might be interesting or ghastly.

The thread title asks "What is the most important part of a book?" The title above the poll asks "What is the most important aspect of a story?" These are not the same thing. Which do you mean?

I'm sorely tempted to respond "the reader" for without readers you have the proverbial tree falling in the woods with no one to hear it. But that's probably a cop out.

The most important aspect of a book depends entirely on what type of book it is. If it's a coffee-table book, the most important part of the book may truly be the images that it contains, rather than anything contained within the actual text. If it's a textbook, one hopes that the words will convey accurate information to the students who are reading them.

But if you really mean "story" rather than "book", well, it depends on what kind of story it is. Some stories are character-driven and those stories had better have interesting characters. Others stories may depend on plot or action or whatever; there's no one answer to your question.

Except that, there is, in a way: every single written story communicates a tale to the reader. Every single one uses words to communicate with those who are reading it. So I think that, in the end, the most important aspect of a story (and also of a book) is that it be well-written, that it's author has chosen its words carefully and laid them down with care.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
The mud flaps, or whatever those things are called. I love using those as bookmarks.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not so interested in plot formula or genre. I really don't want to read a whole stack of books that are variations on a theme.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
the part that i can inject myself into and forget about myself

page 40

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I lose interest quickly.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Option 8 - A well-written, character-driven story with good plotting, solid world-building, and the ability to keep me up long after bedtime turning pages.

I voted for 2, but the above is more what I look for, without the world-building. I like stories set in this world.

Status
Not open for further replies.