Established Agent or New Agent

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I've chosen a legitimate agency that I want to submit my novel to, but I'm torn about which agent. Now accepting submissions are:
  • Established Agent with a large list of clients and lots of sales. She obviously has great connections and knows her stuff, but might be too quick dismiss a new author.
  • New Agent with a very small list of clients. She might be green, but she also might be more likely to want to build her list by taking on a debut novel by a new writer.
Suggestions or thoughts?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The new agent is the better bet as she is taking on more clients

BrooklynLee

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Well, first off, I think you might want to come up with a broader list of agencies (though perhaps you already have, I don't know). As far as making this decision, I'd look more closely at the client lists. It's possible that the more established agent has a lot of debuts authors on her list, in which case, she might be very open to a new writer. Second, try and see how your book fits in with the others that the two agents have sold. You may find that one list has a lot of similar titles.

Do you happen to know if this agency allows you to submit to more than one agent? Obviously, not at the same time, but if they allow you to requery, then you might want to do the established agent first and then, if she passes, try the newer agent.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Well, first off, I think you might want to come up with a broader list of agencies (though perhaps you already have, I don't know). As far as making this decision, I'd look more closely at the client lists. It's possible that the more established agent has a lot of debuts authors on her list, in which case, she might be very open to a new writer. Second, try and see how your book fits in with the others that the two agents have sold. You may find that one list has a lot of similar titles.

Do you happen to know if this agency allows you to submit to more than one agent? Obviously, not at the same time, but if they allow you to requery, then you might want to do the established agent first and then, if she passes, try the newer agent.
I'm not in the US, and would prefer to find an agent in my home country, if possible. So my list of agents and agencies is small. I'm working through them, top to bottom, a few at a time.

Good advice to check the lists. I've done that and New Agent's list is so small, it's difficult to tell. Established Agent's list is very broad.

This agency is a "query one and you've queried them all" kind of agency.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
When or if you run out of agencies in your area, keep in mind that most of this is done through e-mail or phone calls. You're not limited anymore

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
New agents often work with established agents at their agencies, so you may get the benefits of someone new and eager to get clients and the experience of the older ones. I'd go with the newbie.

ETA: I just read my post over and what I meant to say is: I'd give the newbie a chance. Not that the newbie is generally preferable.

Last edited:

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I would go with the new agent. She is fresh and eager and is working closely under the established agent. She also has the time to really pore over your ms. Is it DB's new agent?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Compare more than numbers- look at who they represent - ie, what are the books like. If newer agent reps books nothing like your book, but established agent looks a better fit, then that seems the better option, and vice versa. All things considered, it's a gut check decision. But I'd focus on more than numbers- look at interviews, books they like/represent, etc to try to weigh who might be a better fit for your book/writing.

~suki

AngelaA

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelaaddams.com
Be wary of very new agents. It's not always a bucket of sunshine working with them. There are have beem threads like this before and I've said more...do a search on the topic, you might find some very enlightening conversation.

agentpaper

One of many
Registered
Reaction score
My agent is new at an established agency and I love her. Granted your experience may differ, but I wouldn't not query a new agent at an established agency just because they're new. Like others have said that new agent has the benefit of working with the other more experienced agents and will give you the benefit of giving you more personal attention. However, if the other agent is a better fit, I'd go with her. Like Suki said, follow your gut.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Go with your gut. Read interviews, blogs, twitters--anything you can find. Look at personality and who you'd work best with.

Never go by who seems easiest. Go with who seems best for you.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a shiny query to the newer agent. Now my fingers are firmly crossed.

Thank you all for your opinions and advice!!

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... and if things work out you'll always have the opportunity to speak with them and have further info to base a decision on. There's no commitment till you sign on the dotted line. G'luck. (I've gotten to know a new agent recently. They're awesome and I'd love them to rep me but unfortunately they don't rep my genre. There are many factors to consider besides experience.)