AW Purple Prose Contest (Round One) - Results

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The Results are in!!!!

After carefully tallying the votes (31 people voted -- pitiful, I say) three times, with the help of the advance technology that is Excel...

The finalists are (in alphabetical order):

(da dum dum.....)

alaskamatt17
Dawno
prosperitySue
robeiae

Congratulations!!!! These four contestants would advance to the next round. Watch for more information.

Unfortunately, we have a five-way tie for the fifth slot. These people are:

ChunkyC
maestrowork
msQTpi
paprikapink
Unique

As noted before, we will have a quick sudden death round to determine the fifth finalist.

Here's the deal. Instead of asking for new material... We will have a sudden death "re-vote" for the following entries ONLY...

#6 -- Unique
#27 -- maestrowork
#30 -- ChunkyC
#31 -- msQTpi
#32 -- paprikapink

Please go over these entries and vote for your favorite.

ONE vote per person only. And only vote for ONE entry.

DEADLINE for sudden death: Thursday at 12:00 NOON ET

Send your votes (please only vote for one entry) to maestrowork (at) gmail (dot) com.

Good luck!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Add this link to the calendar announcement! You didn't tell people where to vote... just an abstract "vote now" order. ;)

And how in the world am I going to choose just one of those five? They're all so... so... purple!

CONGRATS TO THE TOP FOUR!

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
aruna said:
Congratulations to the four finalists! They're all brilliant....
Guess I'll have to resort to the hat again! ;)

Congratulations! (see me toasting you here with a full glass of Welch's*sparkling* grape juice) Glug, glug.....)

Now where in the world can I get a four sided quarter?

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
I'm a finalist?? :faint:

And congratulations to the other 3, soon to be 4 finalists.

The next round is still purple, right? My favorite color is green, so that would be ok. Just not orange, that color makes me look jaundiced.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Hey Ray, I have a question. Is this rule in play:
- if the tied entries belong to the same person, it will count as one. The next person with the most votes will advance to the second ground
The reason I ask is because some of those in the tied group have more than one entry, yet I now can only vote for one of their entries--and the one that is indicated is not the one I voted for in round one.

Rob :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
robeiae said:
Hey Ray, I have a question. Is this rule in play:

The reason I ask is because some of those in the tied group have more than one entry, yet I now can only vote for one of their entries--and the one that is indicated is not the one I voted for in round one.

I thought about letting people vote for all the entries by the five people, but it seems complicated, also seems to put some people at a disadvantage (for example, Unique has only one, but maestrowork has 4). I think this is more fair since these ARE the five entries that "tie" for fifth. They don't belong to the same person. So I think this will work.

There's no reason (and I am not condoning this) why you can't read ALL their entries and vote for the person you think wrote the best piece... but for the sake of the contest, I would say just stick with the five entries that tie for fifth... (remember, we are not voting for person... we are voting for the entries... it just so happened that the five remaining entries belong to five different people).

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
maestrowork said:
...but for the sake of the contest, I would say just stick with the five entries that tie for fifth... (remember, we are not voting for person... we are voting for the entries... it just so happened that the five remaining entries belong to five different people).
Good enough!! Thanks!

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
Well I may be a dyed in the wool writer but at least I now know my colour isn't purple - shame really, purple is my favourite colour.

Well done to all those who got through and good luck to all those still at the gate.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
Congratulations, Top Four!
Hey, nice crowd to be in, Tied Five!

A five-way tie for fifth place.... If I weren't in there with such fine company, I'm not sure I'd want to brag to my kids about this. Hah. To heck with my kids. I'm tickled purple!

Okay, now I'm going to go reread the entries. I hope I can ever find this thread again. I don't even know where I am.

ProsperitySue

All is well @>----
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deliberatecreating.blogspot.com
Wow!

Thank you! I really enjoyed writing my entry. This was the first time I've submitted anything to a contest like this. It was fun just to be a part of it by entering and then to see the variety, imagination, and humor in everyone else's entries. It was great to be able to be able to vote and express my appreciation. This is a wonderful way to experience writing...it's very immediate and I could see how others write on the same topic. It's fun all the way. Congratulations to all of you for writing such purpley entries. You really are a talented bunch.

For those of you who didn't see my note in the Purple Prose Peanut Gallery thread...I won $200 on Powerball playing my voting numbers!! I find the more I appreciate in life the more life brings me to appreciate. I loved writing the gabby rogues story, reading your entries, and appreciating you...it was the numbers I voted on that won. :)

AND did you notice that there are five numbers for the tie breaker!?! What kind of interesting coincidence is that?

Scuze me...gotta run to go fill out my lotto form...uh, I mean write something. (heh heh).

Suzanne

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
Does it tell me somewhere around here and I just can't find it, which entries by the top four are their winning entries. I know at least alsakamatt had two entries.... I was just going back for re-read, and realized I dint know which were the winning ones.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Sorry... the top four entries (in no particular order):

alaskamatt17 - #9
robeiae - #3
Dawno - #41
prosperitySue - #40

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
ProsperitySue said:
Thank you! I really enjoyed writing my entry. This was the first time I've submitted anything to a contest like this.
For those of you who didn't see my note in the Purple Prose Peanut Gallery thread...I won $200 on Powerball playing my voting numbers!! I find the more I appreciate in life the more life brings me to appreciate. I loved writing the gabby rogues story, reading your entries, and appreciating you...it was the numbers I voted on that won. :)

Suzanne

Welldone, and welcome! What a great way to join this forum - and you are quite like that good fortune follows the one with the right attitude.
As for your entry::roll:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I tried doing what ProsperitySue did--I played the numbers I voted for in the Powerball. Unfortunately, it did not pan out. :cry:

ProsperitySue

All is well @>----
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deliberatecreating.blogspot.com
Rhymegirl, I also used intuition about the sixth number for Powerball and the game. This time I played Hoosier Lotto for the 5 tied numbers and had two matches so I get a quick pic. You guys are really HOT!! :)

Creativity and intuition are expressions of the same energy. And that energy is more accessed when we are having fun and it was fun to write the purple prose. I think I will write a purple prose about numbers and see what I come up with! When I write I get lots of new ideas anyway and I might even write something I could submit somewhere. Zounds!

Suzanne

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Sue, can you buy tickets for me? We'll split the cost and earnings! Seriously. I am not very good at playing the lottery. But you seem to be on a roll!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The deadline came and went...

And the final results are in...

It's a real close sudden death match... extremely close...

Vote-wise, maestrowork got the highest score... but he just whispered to me that he didn't think it would be fair for him to be in the final round since he's the one running it... so, I now declare....

The fifth finalist is:

UNIQUE

Congratulations! And congrats again to the other four.

I will have info on the second round soon. Hopefully some time today.

Thanks!