Out of the Mouths of Babes: Prologues

Status
Not open for further replies.

fringle

always abroad
Registered
Reaction score
I thought I'd share this little conversation I had with my 8-year-old daughter since the subject of prologues and how readers feel about them tends to come up often.

"How was library time today?"
"Terrible."
"Terrible? Why was it terrible?"
"Well, I got a book that I thought was going to be really interesting, but you know what happened? I read the first six pages and they were just alright. Then after I already read six pages, chapter one started. So what were the first six pages? And chapter one had nothing to do with the first six pages. I was mad."

She was really in a huff about this. She got even angrier when I laughed.

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When my eldest son was in fourth or fifth grade he got huffy about a library book from school.

Son: and then the whole first chapter was everything that had ever happened to these people and I was like "Who cares? Where's the story?"

Me: Did it get better?

Son: A little. But everytime we got a new person in the story, we had to hear everything about them. It was boring!

Me: It's called Backstory. (I explained backstory to him and info dumping.)

Son: Backstory is evil. I just like regular story.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Thank you both forf sharing. It's all so true and kids are great. They never beat around the bush, they just come out and say it like it is.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Babes did pretty well by Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone. Which starts in omniscient POV, years before the "regular" story (Harry's POV) in order to fill in the backstory. Of course, this prologue-ish first chapter was very well-written, with action of its own.

There is no evil technique, only evil execution. ;)

nmulder81

Registered
Reaction score
My 8 yr old recently picked up a book for a kid slightly older (he is just getting into chapter type books). He kept asking me why the book would start in the middle and then go back to the beginning. I couldn't understand what he was talking about. He then said "momma I'm talking about the pro luge". I was even more confused....took me awhile to figure out what he kept going on about...

Status
Not open for further replies.