military / police / civ interactions

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
A couple scenarios: A teenager without a driver's license or high school diploma joins the military. Presumably a military driver's license would be goo in the 50 states? Also when would the recruit get a GED, while in, or after discharge?

A civilian police officer who is on suspension (had to turn in badge and firearm) then uses a privately owned firearm to threaten poeple and claims to represent the police department...is this impersonating an officer of the law?

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
A couple scenarios: A teenager without a driver's license or high school diploma joins the military. Presumably a military driver's license would be goo in the 50 states? Also when would the recruit get a GED, while in, or after discharge?

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/genjoin/a/asvabminimum.htm

Apparently the Army is the only branch that will even consider someone without a GED. The other branches only allow a small fraction in without a high school diploma.

As per the drivers license, according to several sites I checked, you don't need a civilian license to drive military vehicles (but do have to qualify for a military license). You would have to check individual state laws to see if they accept a military license in lieu of a civilian one.

A civilian police officer who is on suspension (had to turn in badge and firearm) then uses a privately owned firearm to threaten poeple and claims to represent the police department...is this impersonating an officer of the law?

Yes.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

In the U.S. Army prior to 1970, many commanding officers in basic training ordered recruits with no high school diplomas to take GED tests before the first eight weeks was up. If he or she couldn't pass, then the recruit attended post night classes and recycled until able to pass.

If some fell through the cracks, unit commanders also pushed for GEDs to be acquired in a timely manner. It's my understanding that at present, some branches of the military insist on a diploma or GED before enlistment.

In that same army, '59-'70, military driver's licenses were required to operate specific military vehicles on or off bases. They were not for driving privately-owned-vehicles. Those required a state driver's license. I had a Montana driver's license when I went in, and renewed it by mail for the duration of my time in the military, no matter my duty station.

Kenra Daniels

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenradaniels.com
When hubby was in, 1980 til 95, his military license authorized him to operate military vehicles only, and he had a different authorization for each class of vehicle. He had to have a civilian license to operate a privately owned vehicle (POV).

One of our daughter's friends recently attempted to enlist in the Army without a GED. He was told by the recruiter that he would have to complete it in a 'timely manner', but wasn't told how long that would be. You could get the information from a recruiter, either in person or online.

Frye

Registered
Reaction score
We still must have state driver's licenses. The govy license is, as Dragon Lady said before me, for military vehicles only. And a state license is a prerequisite. Of course, you can join without one - just can't drive anything until you get licensed.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score

Probably not - although suspended, he's still on the rolls - but he's going to make his suspension a lot longer and may get fired for being so stupid.

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
When hubby was in, 1980 til 95, his military license authorized him to operate military vehicles only, and he had a different authorization for each class of vehicle. He had to have a civilian license to operate a privately owned vehicle (POV).

One of our daughter's friends recently attempted to enlist in the Army without a GED. He was told by the recruiter that he would have to complete it in a 'timely manner', but wasn't told how long that would be. You could get the information from a recruiter, either in person or online.

Yep. If I remember correctly, the Army won't issue you a military license for their vehicles without a current civilian driver's license. The military training is to teach you to drive a HMMV, or a 5-Ton or a Gamma-goat (those things sucked), or other vehicle. It is not a license to actually operate that vehicle on a road. You have to have your civilian license to do that part.

The Army used to let you in with no GED, but I doubt they will anymore. They'll help you get one to a certain extent, but that's more a recruiter trying to help out a prospect. If you do get in without one, yes, there are courses you can take via military programs so you can get a GED or an associates degree and sometimes even a full 4-year degree.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Probably not - although suspended, he's still on the rolls - but he's going to make his suspension a lot longer and may get fired for being so stupid.

He's still on the rolls but he's not allowed to act as a police officer. I'd call the local police station or DA's office (public liaison) and ask them. Get it from the horse's mouth.

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
A suspended copt treatening someone w/ a pvt pistol and claiming to rep the dept is not impersonating an ofc. In addition to violating various dept rules (conduct unbecoming, violation of a direct order ((the susp ofc is given stict direction about what to do in a police intervention situation and sounds like he's blown it here, tho we need more scenario)), he may be committing the misdo crime of brandishing or a felony assault.