Ebook Royalty for Published Nonfiction Book

AKDawn

Registered
Reaction score
I am the author of three traditionally published nonfiction books. When I signed my book contract, a friend advised me NOT to agree to any ebook royalty amounts as at that time (many years ago) there was no indication of how things would play out. My publisher agreed to leave that clause open for future negotiation.

Now my publisher is wanting me to sign for 10% Net on an ebook version of one of my print books. This seems absurdly low, and articles I have read indicate that even 25% Net on the ebook version of a print book is low.

I would be very grateful for thoughts, advice, recommendations on this from other authors who are in similar situations.

Thanks much!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If it is a large commerical press, 10% is not abnormal assuming the net only excludes vendors fees. For small presses 30-40% would be more normal. I would suggest either just taking what is standard for them, or suggesting a slightly higher rate. But a major commerical press is typically just not going to pay what the small epublishers do... don't ask me why.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
25% seems to be the standard from a publishing house. Some are at 40%. 10% seems quite low to me.

Vein, they don't pay what the smaller houses do because they don't have to.