PDA

View Full Version : submitting straight to the publisher

roostercharmer
09-26-2010, 08:25 AM
I'm submitting directly to two publishers. I have a couple of questions.

Since both are email-only submissions I'm wondering which font to use. I know Courier is the standard MS font, but since my MS will likely be read on a computer would it be better to use a sans-serif?

One asks for "an email which includes your name, address, telephone number, and a one to three paragraph synopsis of your work, along with the manuscript attached as a Word doc or RTF file." I know a synopsis and query aren't interchangeable, but a 1 to 3 paragraph synopsis seems pretty similar to a query. Also, who would I address the email to, since I don't know the name of the person who reads the slush pile entries?

Thanks for any help.

Captcha
09-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Do you mean which font for your MS? Assuming you're submitting as an RTF or DOC file, I'd go with Courier or Times New Roman - they're the standards, and the readers can always change the font if they prefer something else.

And I think you're right that the 3-paragraph synopsis is essentially asking for a query letter. A lot of on-line publishers are dealing with writing rookies, and I've noticed that some of them have phrased their submission requirements in more descriptive, less jargon-y language. A rookie might not know what goes in a query letter, but surely s/he can understand what a synopsis should be.

Finally - I don't usually address e-mail enquiries to any one person. I mean, there have been times when I have, when I knew that person's name, but if a search of the publisher's website doesn't give the information, I wouldn't worry about it. If they're asking for e-mails, they likely accept that e-mail is a more casual form of communication, and they won't be too worried about the tiny details. (Not saying you should be sloppy, of course).

roostercharmer
09-27-2010, 03:07 AM
Thanks so much Kate! Answered all of my questions. Appreciate it. :)