PDA

View Full Version : Home Decorating: Traditional? Modern? Contemporary? Eclectic?

Rowan
09-26-2010, 12:46 AM
I recently moved and had to do the whole painting/redecorating thing. Personally, I tend to go for traditional furnishings and neutral colors (no pastels in my house) with bold accent colors. For example, one of the spare bedrooms is a black & white toile with red as an accent color. My writing room is a muted yellow and my kitchen is dressage coat red! :)

So what's your theme and do you think your house reflects your personality?

jennontheisland
09-26-2010, 01:02 AM
I'm trapped in an apartment with little in the way of redecorating options allowed in the lease. It's a 1920s building with a lot of the original art deco features. I'd love to have the money or permission to add a few more touches along those lines.

Last house I had, I went with "organic modernism" a movement popular in the late 50s. The house was built in 1952, and my intention was to have it look as if it was in its original state. I like the clean lines, combination of bright and muted colours (living room and kitchen were a flat cloudy grey, but kitchen counters were cherry red), and use of geometric shapes.

robeiae
09-26-2010, 01:03 AM
My theme is whatever my wife decided it would be. And that pretty much reflects my entire life...

Jessianodel
09-26-2010, 01:54 AM
I don't know what mine counts as...I like wood furniture and floors, but for walls I'd rather paint them really bright colors.

When I move out of my room and into a bigger one, I'm painting the walls. two (opposing) will be a dark blue sponged with silver, and the other two will be chartreuse.

brainstorm77
09-26-2010, 01:59 AM
My theme is nothing right now. I haz no house of my own:tongue

I guess I'd go with traditional. That was my house style before I sold.

Snowstorm
09-26-2010, 02:21 AM
My theme is a "humble Old West log hotel." Nothing cheesy, but authentic. It's very comfortable, and I just love trying to decorate using that theme. It's actually harder than it sounds, trying to make rooms nice, yet humble-simple at the same time.

tiny
09-26-2010, 02:24 AM
My house is.... forest green in the front room, orange down the hall, taupe and blue in the living room, eye searing orange, dark red, brown, slate blue, bright blue.... holy hell, I live in a box of crayons. The furnishing is anything we like that's comfortable and withstands the pets.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
09-26-2010, 02:53 AM
Mission-style with a sprinkling of antiques. Lots of wood. Walls are peach and cream in the living room, forest green in the back office, golden yellow in the front office, and Confederate blue in our bedroom with obscenely white curtains. Plantation shutters throughout. Eclectic and comfortable... and it's only taken us 32 years to get it to the point we're BOTH happy with it. :D

CACTUSWENDY
09-26-2010, 02:59 AM
It's too dark inside this suitcase to tell what I have. Sorry. :Shrug:

BardSkye
09-26-2010, 04:38 AM
I'd have to call mine Early Tornado.

When you can see the floors they're either industrial grey carpet or fake wood tiles. Walls, other than the bathroom, are paneled in pine and pecan wood, and bookshelves. The bathroom is Chinese red with black and gold trim and a black and gold mural on one wall done in the Chinese style.

Rowan
09-26-2010, 04:49 AM
I'd have to call mine Early Tornado.

When you can see the floors they're either industrial grey carpet or fake wood tiles. Walls, other than the bathroom, are paneled in pine and pecan wood, and bookshelves. The bathroom is Chinese red with black and gold trim and a black and gold mural on one wall done in the Chinese style.

Early Tornado :roll:
I hope it's not a big dragon mural on the bathroom wall! :)

backslashbaby
09-26-2010, 05:12 AM
I go for the shabby-chic thing both because I like it, and because the house is from the early 30's ;)

I like old French stuff for some bizarre reason (I always have), so I take the old antique stuff from the 20's and 30's already here and throw in cheap and expensive French stuff from the same general period and call it a style ;)

I love the old 'Orientalism' stuff, too. Fortunately, both my American relatives from the period and my imaginary French ones did, too. So there's a lot of that here.

So, gargoyles and toile and dragons and cherubs. Lots of wraught iron and old brick :D That's home.

Caitlin Black
09-26-2010, 05:21 AM
If I ever get my own house, here's what I'd WANT to do:

Paint the walls black. Ceiling too. And red carpet. Black tiles in the tiled areas. Black marble counters in the kitchen with dark blue specks. Art everywhere. Furnishings must be black, red, blue or white, depending on what seems best in that spot of the house - clash or mesh.

Here's what I'd actually do, considering I'd want to be able to sell the bloody thing at some point:

Cream-white walls and ceiling. Light-coloured boring carpet. Hell, light boring tiles too. Grey-white kitchen counters. I'd still have darker furnishings, because I'd keep those if I ever moved house, but everything that stays must be the boring and popular light colours.

I don't care what the outside of the house looks like.

Smish
09-26-2010, 05:41 AM
My style is contemporary and comfortable. Simple, but warm.

If I ever own my own home, I'd like either:

a) In the city: a condo in a historical row house with tall ceilings, wood floors, and crown molding, OR

b) In a more rural area: a house with a wrap-around porch, and a porch swing on every corner.

For now, I'm happy enough with my roomy apartment with an eat-in kitchen.

Button
09-26-2010, 05:48 AM
Comfortable. :)

We pick up gently used furniture for everything. His desk is a door atop two short file cabinets. Mine's a small tiled kitchen table.

The rental we are in right now is a cozy, two bedroom house with hardwood floors through the living rooms and the two bedrooms.

Some picks at the bottom of this page. They were taken by the landlord and before we moved in. :)

http://calissaleigh.com/write/2010/05/moving-lafayette-la-same-city-different-house/

I'll take more later and post them.

Gehanna
09-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Is there any such thing as a utilitarian decorator? If so, that's my style.

Gehanna

Ambrosia
09-26-2010, 04:46 PM
My husband and I painted the house when we first moved in several years ago. All the walls at that time were white.

My kitchen is painted bright yellow. I started painting the molding at the top a vine green, with the intention of hand painting vines and leaves down the walls to add interest. But we had to paint the living room and the bathroom and his son's bedroom. And the master bedroom. We were tired, and out of time to move in, so the kitchen project got put off "til later".
And the master bedroom didn't get painted at all.

The living room is a sky blue. We live in the middle of a swamp and it was going to be a sky blue background with dried phragmites (common reed) and trees on the walls, making it match the view out the window. But we ran out of time and it is still an undecorated medium sky blue.

The bathroom is a bluish-green, mimicking the ocean, with linoleum that looks like rocks and sand. I bought a fishing net with shells for the window and an underwater scene shower curtain and hooks with fish on them. We replaced the old sink with one of the nice molded ones that looks like brown sand. And replaced the sink faucet with one that has flowing lines.

My stepson has just a tad darker of the bathroom color covering his walls and ceiling (the only ceiling in the house that isn't still white) and has hand drawn fish and sea monsters and plants on the walls. Blue rope lights going around the top of his walls which he would turn on at night. His floor is the first that had the carpet removed and wood laminate put in.

I bought a beautiful bamboo flooring for the living room a couple years ago to replace the carpet, but it is still sitting in the basement. I found a person giving away unused solid oak flooring a few months after that, and spent a few hours on a Saturday with my husband climbing up a twisting, narrow, unstable staircase hauling it down from a storage room in a town an hour away so we could have it. It was slated for the master bedroom. Like the bamboo flooring, it is still sitting in the basement.

Fwiw, I would have put a lighter shade of paint on the ceilings of the rooms that remain without ceiling paint, but my husband said no. A pale tint of the wall color would have brought the rooms more together but he was afraid it would make it too dark in the rooms. Men.

As you can see, the house remains unfinished. It would be nice to have those floors installed and get rid of this awful filthy carpet. Oh well.

Synonym
09-26-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm in an apartment with late 50's, early 60's fixtures. Pink counters and pink enameled metal cabinets. Tan bathroom tiles and fixtures. White walls and very little wood. So, whatever I do is bound to be an eclectic mix of some sort.

I've been using browns and blue and a little burgundy to cut all that white. Classic contemporary as opposed to my old style--garage sale. If I had a bigger budget and my own place it would be Mission-style. I love that look. As it is, I'll have to settle for the two Mission-style bar stools and dream on.

MissMacchiato
09-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Mine would be... neutrals. Mushroom/beige/latte coloured walls, with dark wood baseboards, dark wood furniture, with splashes of pink and cream. Pink is my absolute favourite colour but I'd want my house to be neutral with a hint of girly, rather than over the top. And a LOT of art.

I collect pictures whenever I travel to somewhere new, and I have them framed in the same type of wood so they have something to link them together. Here's a pic of the ones near my desk...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/pinksugarprincess/IMG_0550500x375.jpg

Ken
09-26-2010, 06:47 PM
... mine would be oak and other wood of the sort. Don't care for colors much. Throw rugs would be a neat addition in solid earthy colors like green or brown and if there was a miss about maybe a yellow one along with some matching curtains to brighten the joint up a bit. There'd also be paintings on the walls: traditional ones of ships and landscapes. Ah, so nice to dream.

Rowan
09-26-2010, 07:04 PM
This may come as a shock, but I have a lot of horse statuary and/or horse-themed artwork in my home! :) I think there's a horse presence in every room...

Everyone complains about my MBR. :Shrug:It's a darker color--a metallic bronze on the walls--that matches the bedding. Considering what one does in one's BR, I didn't want it bright and cheery in there.

Here's the wall color (on R): http://www.ralphlaurenhome.com/prod_pdf/regmetallics_howto.pdf (http://www.ralphlaurenhome.com/prod_pdf/regmetallics_howto.pdf)

Synonym
09-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Wow. That's great. My landlord would have a cow. LOL

But, it would almost be worth it.

Rowan
09-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Wow. That's great. My landlord would have a cow. LOL

But, it would almost be worth it.

:D
It really matches my bedding though!
http://www.home-decorating-co.com/croscill-galleria-bedding.html

jennontheisland
09-26-2010, 07:18 PM
I love the bright blue on that page Rowan! I'd totally do walls like that.

Landlord's pretty easy going too... hm...

Rowan
09-26-2010, 07:23 PM
I love the bright blue on that page Rowan! I'd totally do walls like that.

Landlord's pretty easy going too... hm...

The metallic sheen adds so much impact! :) Thankfully Home Depot still carries the RL specialty paints.

Ken
09-26-2010, 07:28 PM
... never knew there was metallic paint for walls. Looks neat, though it's a bit difficult to get a good idea of how it actually looks from a photo.

Greenify13
09-26-2010, 07:29 PM
My home which is an apartment, was once all white. Made me feel insane, truly. White with brown furnishings, I hate brown and overwhelming amounts of nuetrals, my husband loved them until last night. As we rearranged some things, which I do fairly often to give things a "fresh" perspective we grimmaced over one of the brown couches. He agreed we need more color, asked what color I'd want to go with I announced red! He looked a little scared in that moment. :ROFL: "Bright red?"
"No, a nice deep red." "You want red furniture?" "Well it's either that or a lot of accents of it."
He's coming around to color, yay me! I once wanted a home that was mostly black and white, and every room would have it's own appropriate accent colors. Living room: red or blue. Bathroom: Blue or Green. Kitchen: Yellow or some other lovely color. And so on...
I ramble, mostly traditional, I love color though. We put our grape plant in the living room corner next to the fireplace, best thing we've done with the living room! The green leaves with the brown furniture and still white walls. The green light we use for it also gives a wonderful glow and is awesome. Love that too, especially with how the plant's shadow is projected on the wall and ceiling.
Oh I ramble on...

Rowan
09-26-2010, 07:34 PM
My home which is an apartment, was once all white. Made me feel insane, truly. White with brown furnishings, I hate brown and overwhelming amounts of nuetrals, my husband loved them until last night. As we rearranged some things, which I do fairly often to give things a "fresh" perspective we grimmaced over one of the brown couches. He agreed we need more color, asked what color I'd want to go with I announced red! He looked a little scared in that moment. :ROFL: "Bright red?"
"No, a nice deep red." "You want red furniture?" "Well it's either that or a lot of accents of it."

I love red too--either as an accent or main color. I went with red or burgundy as my accent color in every room. And of course the kitchen walls are red (not much actual wall with the cabinets and all). :)

Originally posted by Ken:
... never knew there was metallic paint for walls. Looks neat, though it's a bit difficult to get a good idea of how it actually looks from a photo.

It looks just like the photograph. Granted, the person who painted that wall is a much better painter (I have a few, ah...imperfections here and there...) ;) But overall, color is true to the pic--speaking for color I used.

Greenify13
09-26-2010, 07:41 PM
I love red too--either as an accent or main color. I went with red or burgundy as my accent color in every room. And of course the kitchen walls are red (not much actual wall with the cabinets and all). :)
Lovely! :) I figure if I get my main color of red, he can have all the nuetral accents he wants, it could be wonderful if done right! I can't wait until I have my house next year. It will be all fresh and new by the time I'm done with it. It's my mom's house, but she's giving it to us, and while her tastes are traditional-like mixed with Native American, it could use more color to brighten up.
You should put up pictures of your awesome decorating sense, :tongue

Rowan
09-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Lovely! :) I figure if I get my main color of red, he can have all the nuetral accents he wants, it could be wonderful if done right! I can't wait until I have my house next year. It will be all fresh and new by the time I'm done with it. It's my mom's house, but she's giving it to us, and while her tastes are traditional-like mixed with Native American, it could use more color to brighten up.
You should put up pictures of your awesome decorating sense, :tongue

I wouldn't go so far as to say "awesome"! My father hates my BR colors and refers to the black and white toile room as "the black room". (It has off-white walls!). Men...:ROFL:
The "black room" bedding: http://www.home-decorating-co.com/thomasville-bedding.html It's very light and cheery. I have some black accent rugs and lamps but still very bright.

You've got plenty of time to start planning your takeover too! And access to the house so you can play with swatches... so much fun! (Once all the work is done).

Ken
09-26-2010, 07:54 PM
It looks just like the photograph. Granted, the person who painted that wall is a much better painter (I have a few, ah...imperfections here and there...) ;) But overall, color is true to the pic--speaking for color I used.

... when I used to draw with inks I had a bottle of gold and silver colored paint. Don't think I ever used them. May still have them somewhere for all I know. Might do well for patching up any neglected areas on your walls. // ps And I'm sure you did a fine job. And who wants perfection anyway like in that RL photo? Flawless perfection is dull.

Greenify13
09-26-2010, 08:03 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say "awesome"! My father hates my BR colors and refers to the black and white toile room as "the black room". (It has off-white walls!). Men...:ROFL:
The "black room" bedding: http://www.home-decorating-co.com/thomasville-bedding.html It's very light and cheery. I have some black accent rugs and lamps but still very bright.

You've got plenty of time to start planning your takeover too! And access to the house so you can play with swatches... so much fun! (Once all the work is done).
Now, I don't like toile, that is a beautiful set! And you definitely, in my book, have awesome decorating sense. :)
I have books, and cards of paint swatches. Hundreds of them, I started collecting when I became a teen, or thereabouts. I even started making notes, and did some research, I have a general idea of what will happen to that house. :D

regdog
09-26-2010, 08:11 PM
My home decorating style, cat and dog hair. It goes with everything. Literally.

Rowan
09-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Now, I don't like toile, that is a beautiful set! And you definitely, in my book, have awesome decorating sense. :)
I have books, and cards of paint swatches. Hundreds of them, I started collecting when I became a teen, or thereabouts. I even started making notes, and did some research, I have a general idea of what will happen to that house. :D

Thank you :)
You'll have to revive this thread and post pictures!! :)

Originally posted by Regdog:
So no clashing btwn the species, like plaid and polka dots? ;)

Originally posted by Ken:
... when I used to draw with inks I had a bottle of gold and silver colored paint. Don't think I ever used them. May still have them somewhere for all I know. Might do well for patching up any neglected areas on your walls. // ps And I'm sure you did a fine job. And who wants perfection anyway like in that RL photo? Flawless perfection is dull.

True...and it's usually dark in there! :)

brainstorm77
09-26-2010, 08:22 PM

Sooooooooooooo true:tongue

stormie
09-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Several years ago, my husband, sons, and I, moved back into my old childhood home (a Craftsman-style house) with my sister. We did a lot of renovating. Our style is what I call "cozy," with wallpaper on most walls and lace curtains in the windows.

We also scout flea markets for great old finds, like a 1915 wall clock that works, for only $2. And a 1920s hobby table for $30.

Greenify13
09-26-2010, 09:09 PM
I will most definitely do that (revive the thread) :D that's a great idea!

joyce
09-26-2010, 10:14 PM
I'd have to describe my current look as "Early Roadkill and Early Wal-Mart". My daughter describes the look as "Beachy Country", whatever that means. I have the extra attraction too of white, black and red dog hair, as well as multiple squirrel ornaments. I think I need a change....

Rowan
09-26-2010, 10:33 PM
I'd have to describe my current look as "Early Roadkill and Early Wal-Mart". My daughter describes the look as "Beachy Country", whatever that means. I have the extra attraction too of white, black and red dog hair, as well as multiple squirrel ornaments. I think I need a change....

Squirrels? I have a bunch in my yard you can have...they're live but very decorative. :) [Two of the little delinquents broke into my shed--busted a window out--to get at some bird seed. Those two can be shipped free of charge!]

joyce
09-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Squirrels? I have a bunch in my yard you can have...they're live but very decorative. :) [Two of the little delinquents broke into my shed--busted a window out--to get at some bird seed. Those two can be shipped free of charge!]

My husband says I can't every die because the squirrels will break into the house and take over. I never meant to feed them, as it started with a bird feeder. Then I became the Statue of Liberty....bring me your crippled, ripped up by cats and other beasties, for I will care for you. I had all these three legged ones and injured squirrels showing up at my door years back. I think they were sending out the word an idiot with a soft heart lives here. I've got such a soft heart I've now been keeping them for years.

Rowan
09-26-2010, 11:09 PM
My husband says I can't every die because the squirrels will break into the house and take over. I never meant to feed them, as it started with a bird feeder. Then I became the Statue of Liberty....bring me your crippled, ripped up by cats and other beasties, for I will care for you. I had all these three legged ones and injured squirrels showing up at my door years back. I think they were sending out the word an idiot with a soft heart lives here. I've got such a soft heart I've now been keeping them for years.

In case mine get lost, what's the nearest cross street? :D You do accept squirrels with criminal records, right?

joyce
09-26-2010, 11:13 PM
In case mine get lost, what's the nearest cross street? :D You do accept squirrels with criminal records, right?

Send them on. Yes, I'm willing to give most species a second chance.;)

Rowan
09-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Send them on. Yes, I'm willing to give most species a second chance.;)

Put bars on the shed windows! They're pretty flexible when it comes to home decor so they'll fit right in. :)