PDA

View Full Version : Agents who handle literary fiction?

righter
09-25-2010, 10:37 AM
I mean exclusively. When you use querytracker or other tools, you get agents who consider lit. fic. among other genres. You never get any agent whose specific interest (or at least primary interest) is lit. fic.

I know agents normally consider everything and not restrict themselves to one genre, but is there some way to find out whether certain agents prefer lit.fic. to everything else. I hope I am making sense.

waylander
09-25-2010, 11:46 AM
There is, but it means lots more research. Look at their websites, blogs if they have them, look for interviews they've given, search out the books they've sold.

Danthia
09-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Looking at their client list is a good indication. If they've sold a lot of lit fic and have a lot of lit fic authors on their list, they probably like lit fic. I don't think there's any agent who handles one thing exclusively (except for fiction vs non-fiction). They have to stay diverse to make a living.

IceCreamEmpress
09-26-2010, 05:32 AM
The best way to find out is to look at client lists, as already suggested. If someone represents a bunch of literary and experimental writers, there you go.

Whose books do you love that are in the same general vein, or targeted at the same general kind of readers, as yours? It's fairly easy to find out who represents those writers.

kullervo
09-26-2010, 10:24 AM
They want to be agents, but they also need to eat.