Status
Not open for further replies.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I'm posting this here since I don't suppose this is something print published authors have to worry about very often! And because I got such great help here getting my head around the tax issues here :)

Does any one know of a good uk bank for paying in $ cheques? My current, natwest charged me £5.50 for the privilege last time. Most banks don't want to give you their fees when you ask in person, though my research is beginning to suggest most have £n fee for up to £100 and roughly double that for more than £100, or 0.25%, whichever is higher. So far I've established that hsbc is £6/£12, and the co-op is £4/£12. Natwest wouldnt tell me, annoyingly enough. I've heard that citibank is free if you have a $ account, but you need £2k in sterling before you can open a $ account with them. I have that, but i'd rather keep it in a nice high interest savings account! Theres some debate over whether tgats still true, but their website, as usual, offers no hints. There's also auctionpix, which will change cheques for 95p, but I'm a bit lairy of them since it seems such a strange set-up.

So, anyone got any suggestions, or experience with the above?

I'm posting from my phone, so excuse the predictive text!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Indeed, paypal is good. Otherwise ask your publisher to hold the payments until they are larger so you don't lose as much.

Last edited:

Darklite

Registered
Reaction score
I did quite a bit of research on this when I was looking to cash my $ cheques. In the end all I found out is there’s going to be fees whatever avenue you take. My Bank, Lloyds, charge £8 for anything over $100 and 0.25% (I think) for anything less. They did say if I could get the cheque in sterling I wouldn’t have to pay a fee, but Loose Id only pay in US cheques as far as I know. So right now I’m having to pay the banking fees :(

Last edited:

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Can you send a paper cheque to paypal? Because that would make life so much easier.

Some of my publishers have switched to paypal on request, but others only send out paper cheques. My bank suggested I wait until I have a few (not sure how this is meant to reduce the loss, since 0.25% of £100 plus 0.25% of £80 is still the same as 0.25% of £180), but there's also the fact that it's 0.25% or a flat fee, so no matter what the size of the cheque the bank is still walking away with a sizable chunk of my earnings. With some cheques I've got the flat fee is greater than the amount of the cheque!

Though I've had a good look around, it seems like it's going to have to be a case of sucking it up and just paying the cheques in. I'm still tempted to change my current account to another bank anyway, and it will factor in to my decision, but it's definitely not worth putting £2k of my savings into a low interest citibank account just for the privilege of being able to pay in $ cheques.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am sure Loose Id would work with you to the extent they can. For example by holding pay-out until it hits a higher threshold. It would be worth discussing it with them or raising it on their listserv to see what other overseas authors have done.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I will ask them about raising the minimum threshold, but I struggle to work out what's good to shoot for. That UK banks change price at the £100 threshhold (rather than $100, so you get to play guess the exchange rate) doesn't help, and the 'flat fee or percentage, whichever is highest' means that so far I'm losing a minimum of 10% of my earnings, rather than 0.25% (my sales are a little below the average for Loose Id mentioned on your site). I don't suppose, based on your numbers, you have any suggestions for a good minimum to request from Loose Id?

With RR, the minimum is $100, which is better for paying in cheques but quite bad when it's a short story in an anthology and you're splitting royalties several ways. I don't know if it'll ever sell enough for me to see that $100, though it does seem to be selling reasonably well compared with other numbers quoted for them. I've asked about renegotiating the amount, which was a no go, but they were more than happy to pay through paypal. Swings and roundabouts, I guess.

It is all, of course, a motivator to write more books and get higher royalty cheques. Especially when it's going to take the bank 8 weeks to even desposit the money in my account. It would just be nice if they were willing to deposit more of it!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I don't know, but I need to look into this given that I will be leaving the US sometime in the next few years. It would be nice if they offered direct deposit or paypal.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Could you sign the cheques on the back and pay them into your credit card account? I knew a Canadian writer who had UK bank accounts who used to do this with some of the fees he earned from the US, but I don't know whether there was a financial benefit to it or he was just too laid back to care too much about the fees.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I can't speak for all banks, but certainly with mine you can only pay cheques into your current account, so credit card accounts are out.

@veinglory: Could you keep your current account with a US bank, and open another for the UK? Obviously not a practical long term solution, but I guess it depends how long you're here for. Alternatively, citibank offer both dollar and sterling accounts, so if you became opened an account in the US before you left you might get around the £2k rule.

ALM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
meansal.wordpress.com
<<I knew a Canadian writer who had UK bank accounts>>
If there's a way to do this, I'd be interested to hear about it. Even as a Brit expat, I have found it impossible to open a UK bank account without a UK address. Perhaps your Canadian friend used a relative's address.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It just isn't a great idea to have a bank account that you can't easily change or close. Most banks require you to come in to the branch to do things like close the account. I left Canada with my check and credit card account still open because otherwise I had no access to money in case of emergency. The credit card ended up, somehow, slightly in debt and so began a five year odyssey of internatonal phone calls, the debt growing and frustration before I mailed cash to their head office and begged them to close the account despite their policies to the contrary. I would never risk going through that again.

Last edited:

Andrew F

Call me Andy
Registered
Reaction score
Paypal does charge you for larger transactions, particularly if the trade didn't originate from an affiliate.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Digging this up briefly again: I did some research and some experiements, and I've settled on using Auctionchex myself. £1.20 no matter how many cheques you send in, and faster than my bank too! I think if you're a US expat, though, Citibank is probably the best bet, especially if you're going to be dropping back to the homeland from time to time.

I've written it up from applying from an ITIN to paying in cheques on my blog, if anyone else needs to know in the future :)

Reaction score
I can't for the life of me remember when I sent off my W-7. I don't think I'm up to 120 days yet, though.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I sent mine off in July, and got it back in September. I think, for them, that's unusually quick (especially considering I forgot to sign it first time around!).

Status
Not open for further replies.