PDA

View Full Version : Are there any English actors in Hollywood?

seun
09-24-2010, 11:53 AM
I recently saw an old episode of Fraiser in which Daphne'e ex turns up. Without a doubt, he had the worst English accent I have ever heard. And yes, that includes Keanu Reeves in Dracula.

I know it's a two way street - English actors who can't do American accents obviously exist, but it seems American shows and films go out of their way to hire actors who can't do the right accent. They should just get Hugh Laurie to play everyone.

scarletpeaches
09-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Daphne Moon herself had one of the most fuck awful accents I've ever heard, which is why I only ever watched two or three episodes of Frasier. I couldn't take it any more.

Shakesbear
09-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Claire Forliani in CSI is English but her accent sounds like Audrey Hepburns' Eliza Doolittle on speed.

scarletpeaches
09-24-2010, 12:57 PM
And the worst of it is, she's married to a Scot. You'd think she'd ask him for help on sounding vaguely British.

seun
09-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Daphne Moon herself had one of the most fuck awful accents I've ever heard, which is why I only ever watched two or three episodes of Frasier. I couldn't take it any more.

It was better than the guy who played her brother. Christ, that was bad.

dpaterso
09-24-2010, 01:26 PM
I think it's charming, how hard they try, because they want to be taken seriously, as actors.

-Derek

Mr Flibble
09-24-2010, 01:27 PM
The ginger pillock in Tango and Cash

Every time he attempts a 'you wanker' I have fits of giggles.

hammers
09-24-2010, 01:31 PM
You cant get any worse than Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.

seun
09-24-2010, 01:49 PM
You cant get any worse than Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.

That's what I thought until I saw Daphne's ex boyfriend.

Wayne K
09-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Al Pacino as Scarface was so bad it was good, but Dick in Mary Poppins just sucked

scarletpeaches
09-24-2010, 01:53 PM
I loved watching him in Diagnosis Murder. "Corr bloimey, Murray Poppuns, there's bin a moydah!"

Wayne K
09-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Brad Pitt with the fake Irish brogue in the movie he did with Harrison Ford was the worst fake accent of all. I walked out and haven't lusted for him since

scarletpeaches
09-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Shrek is supposed to be Scottish and it really rips my nips when people like Myers come out with nonsense like, "My grandmother was Scottish, so I thought I'd try the accent."

Uh...what? Being related to someone in no way makes you the same nationality.

Also - Mrs Doubtfire. Worth the death penalty.

Wayne K
09-24-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm against the death penalty.....usually

JimmyB27
09-24-2010, 02:32 PM
The weird thing is, Helen Baxendale's accent in Friends sounds horribly fake to me. I don't know if it's because she's surrounded by all those American accents or what, but it does sound pretty awful, imho.

seun
09-24-2010, 03:09 PM
The weird thing is, Helen Baxendale's accent in Friends sounds horribly fake to me. I don't know if it's because she's surrounded by all those American accents or what, but it does sound pretty awful, imho.

I always wondered if the director told her to up the Englishness of her accent and sound annoyed at every single thing.

JimmyB27
09-24-2010, 04:28 PM
I always wondered if the director told her to up the Englishness of her accent and sound annoyed at every single thing.
I can see a director doing that. "Honey, ya just don't sound English enough. Whaddya mean, you are English?"
Maybe that explains all the appalling accents put on by American actors too?

donroc
09-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Doesn't matter. Most performers in film and TV (except in commercials) cannot articulate in any language. I sometimes think I am hard of hearing until I switch to Turner Classics and understand every word spoken -- even rapid fire exchanges by Cagney and O'Brien.

MissMacchiato
09-24-2010, 04:35 PM
lol you guys are hilarious.

... I think Aussie accents are worse. Seriously. NO ONE in australia talks like that.

Remember Paul Hogan?

Screw the death penalty. That's not the death penalty - THIS is the death penalty - death by embarrassment on behalf of your country. Slow and insiduous.

:D

JimmyB27
09-24-2010, 05:03 PM
lol you guys are hilarious.

... I think Aussie accents are worse. Seriously. NO ONE in australia talks like that.

Remember Paul Hogan?
Uh...Paul Hogan *is* Australian...

MissMacchiato
09-24-2010, 05:15 PM
I KNOW! THATS THE WORST PART!

Mr Flibble
09-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Are you saying not all aussies weather leather waistcoats and keep big knives in their trousers?

I don't believe you. :D

Shadow_Ferret
09-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Wait...

you mean British people don't sound like that?

*shrugs* As an American, I guess I wouldn't know that.

CaroGirl
09-24-2010, 05:41 PM
No. You're all wrong. The worst British accent ever in American cinema is Don Cheadle in Ocean's Thirteen. Cor blimey, what load of shite.

Mrs. Doubtfire's accent was supposed to be wrong. That was part of the joke.

Shadow_Ferret
09-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Mrs. Doubtfire's accent was supposed to be wrong. That was part of the joke.

Really? It was? Sounded fine to my ears.

scarletpeaches
09-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Mrs. Doubtfire's accent was supposed to be wrong. That was part of the joke.Yes. It was hilarious when they gave her a bad Scottish accent and said she was from England. :rolleyes:

CaroGirl
09-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Really? It was? Sounded fine to my ears.
Not according to the eggspurt:

Also - Mrs Doubtfire. Worth the death penalty.

CaroGirl
09-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Yes. It was hilarious when they gave her a bad Scottish accent and said she was from England. :rolleyes:
Yes, well, that is the joke, like it or not.

Stu: Where are you from? Your accent's a little muddled.
Mrs. Doubtfire: Really? Well, so's your tan.

GeorgeK
09-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Dick Van Dyke wasn't attempting a british accent in Mary Poppins...except for maybe when he sang.

James Marsters, Amanda Tapping, Lucy Lawless, they all seem to have a knack for accents, as far as I could tell. I was really surprised that Lucy is not a midwestern American, but a Kiwi.

CaroGirl
09-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Dick Van Dyke wasn't attempting a british accent in Mary Poppins...except for maybe when he sang.
No, he was massacring a cockney accent.

seun
09-24-2010, 06:32 PM
The thing that makes me laugh in American TV/cinema is when a British accent is mentioned and it's always something along the lines of Hugh Grant.

Mr Flibble
09-24-2010, 06:42 PM
So you don't sound like Hugh Grant, Seun?

My illusions are shattered. SHATTERED I TELL YOU!

Bufty
09-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Anyone remember seeing Marlon Brando as Fletcher Christian in Mutiny on the Bounty and NOT squirming when he first spoke?

seun
09-24-2010, 06:51 PM

I veer between a telephone voice (which results in nobody at work realising it's me) and trying desperately to not sound even slightly as if I have relatives in the Fens.

CaroGirl
09-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Anyone remember seeing Marlon Brando as Fletcher Christian in Mutiny on the Bounty and NOT squirming when he first spoke?
Oh, the HORROR!

(c'mon, somebody had to)

CACTUSWENDY
09-24-2010, 07:11 PM
I saw an interview many years ago that brought this problem up. If the actors talked 'real English' we Americans would not understand them. Take for example The Harry Potter gang. It makes it real difficult to understand them sometimes. The slurring is different from what Americans do. You might compare it to the ethnic speak pattern of the street folks. Take a street gang movie and have them speak in true street talk and I don't have a clue what they are saying except for maybe every tenth word or so.

They have diction folks on the sets to give the actors the best selection for the American movie goers. I sometimes can not understand what SP says on here sometimes. I can not imagine her speech pattern in RL. :D In years past I have worked with folks from across the pond and I really had to pay attention to what they were saying.

seun
09-24-2010, 07:16 PM
I sometimes can not understand what SP says on here sometimes.

That's because she's Scottish.

...runs away...

Shadow_Ferret
09-24-2010, 07:16 PM
I sometimes can not understand what SP says on here sometimes.

Yes, it's a good thing she never says anything important.

Bwahahaha!

What?

*sees SP heading his way and ducks out the door*

:D

scarletpeaches
09-24-2010, 07:22 PM
clockwork, Perks, thethinker42 and Bookewyrme didn't seem to have any problems understanding me when we talked. One Englishman and three Americans.

CACTUSWENDY
09-24-2010, 07:23 PM
I know...was just saying that accents are tuff no matter what 'English' is being spoken. :evil

scarletpeaches
09-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Oh, the correct kind, you mean?

JimmyB27
09-24-2010, 07:57 PM
clockwork, Perks, thethinker42 and Bookewyrme didn't seem to have any problems understanding me when we talked. One Englishman and three Americans.
What?

hammers
09-24-2010, 08:17 PM
The thing that makes me laugh in American TV/cinema is when a British accent is mentioned and it's always something along the lines of Hugh Grant.

Or they have a very bad cockney accent, would be interesting if they tried one of the northern accents though, maybe something like geordie.

Cyia
09-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Yes. It was hilarious when they gave her a bad Scottish accent and said she was from England. :rolleyes:

That was a Scottish accent? I never would have imagined.

No, he was massacring a cockney accent.

I always thought that was part of the show's charm :D

*Ducks flying pointy things chucked in my general direction*

The top slot on my "sew their mouth shut" list is Angelina Jolie. Have you seen the previews for The Tourist?

Cyia
09-24-2010, 08:27 PM
I saw an interview many years ago that brought this problem up. If the actors talked 'real English' we Americans would not understand them.

Heh. One of my dad's long-term care nurses was Welsh. I fear no accent after learning to decipher that!

Priene
09-24-2010, 08:28 PM
That English bloke who plays Zog in Smallville is another funny 'un. I suppose technically he's from Krypton and therefore won't sound completely English.

I imagine Seun sounds like Vinny Jones. You're should be a dead-ringer for Wendy Richards and Scarletpeaches is a Miss Jean Brodie soundalike. Except when she's angry, when an inner Rab C Nesbitt comes out.

CaroGirl
09-24-2010, 08:33 PM
If the actors talked 'real English' we Americans would not understand them.
But don't a lot of Americans love Coronation Street? I know it has a huge following in Canada (where people have no accent whatsoever).

CACTUSWENDY
09-24-2010, 08:54 PM
I love the funny sitcoms that the English have had, but have to pay real close attention to what is said. Remember the two older gals that were still living like they were '60s babes? ETA; Absolutely Fabulous (Just remembered the name of it.) They were a riot, but I know I missed some of the jokes.

It's like a few shows we have here now. One speaks with such a southern drawl that after the first two shows I could not watch it any more. To me it was very jarring, but I bet the folks in the southern USA enjoy it.

I have said this many times here on AW. I am amazed that this site has folks from all over the world and the English is done so well. My hat is off to those that do this. :)

Cyia
09-24-2010, 08:57 PM
It's like a few shows we have here now. One speaks with such a southern drawl that after the first two shows I could not watch it any more. To me it was very jarring, but I bet the folks in the southern USA enjoy it.

If one of those shows is True Blood, I will slap you.

There should be a formal injunction against Anna Paquin using what she thinks passes for a southern accent. It was bad in X-Men, and it's only gotten worse since she started playing Sookie. I can't stand to watch it.

maxmordon
09-24-2010, 09:01 PM
We like to poke how bad English accents can be done, but have you tried? My attempt to it can only be described as one of the Upper Class Twit of the Year having an anal orgasm over and over.

Kitty Pryde
09-24-2010, 09:05 PM
That English bloke who plays Zog in Smallville is another funny 'un. I suppose technically he's from Krypton and therefore won't sound completely English.

Ha! I was gonna say--that guy is English and yet he does an AWFUL English accent. I wonder where the CW finds these people.

My #1 most awful accent of all time is Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber in Die Hard. He can't even get through a single sentence without switching it up!

CaroGirl
09-24-2010, 09:10 PM
Hat's off to Sean Connery for barely even trying to do any accent but his own. He tried to muddle up an Irish accent for The Untouchables but it was so feeble you could almost discount it as an attempt at all.

Cyia
09-24-2010, 09:15 PM
My #1 most awful accent of all time is Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber in Die Hard. He can't even get through a single sentence without switching it up!

I've never understood that one, either. They name the character Gruber, then pick a man with one of the most distinguishable English accents around to play him. And THEN... pick the other guy with one of the most distinguishable English accents in the world (Jeremy Irons) to play his brother in Die Hard 3!

seun
09-24-2010, 09:50 PM
I imagine Seun sounds like Vinny Jones.

Only after too much lager and watching The Long Good Friday.

scarletpeaches
09-24-2010, 09:52 PM
One of these days you have to phone me and say, "Sort yerself aht, you slaaaaaaaaaag."

CaroGirl
09-24-2010, 09:53 PM
At work, I occasionally have conference calls with a team that works in Ireland. I've never met these guys, but on the phone I always picture a room full of Colin Farrells. It gets me through the day.

seun
09-24-2010, 09:57 PM
One of these days you have to phone me and say, "Sort yerself aht, you slaaaaaaaaaag."

Put your knickers on and make me a cup of tea.

CACTUSWENDY
09-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Just remembered the title of that show. Absolutely Fabulous. :D Those gals were a scream.

http://www.youtube.com/user/abfab07?blend=1&ob=4

seun
09-24-2010, 09:58 PM
At work, I occasionally have conference calls with a team that works in Ireland. I've never met these guys, but on the phone I always picture a room full of Colin Farrells. It gets me through the day.

My brother thinks he looks like Colin Farrell. I take great pleasure in telling him he doesn't in the slightest.

Priene
09-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Only after too much lager and watching The Long Good Friday.

That'll be every weekend then.

Put your knickers on and make me a cup of tea.

Only if you call me luv.

plaidearthworm
09-27-2010, 05:58 AM
John Barrowman's American accent is spot on, I was blown away to hear his native Scottish accent in an interview. A bad Southern accent makes me shiver. I couldn't take one more second of Minnie Driver's accent in The Riches. People seem to think blowing vowels out like snot bubbles makes a Southern accent. Anyone wanting to do a Southern accent should be required to study with Jaime Pressly. I saw her on a late night talk show, and she broke the accent down *by state* and did it perfectly for each one.