PDA

View Full Version : Down with Bathroom Mirror Scares!

AnneMarble
09-24-2010, 07:58 AM
OK, it happened again. I started watching a horror movie. And then it happened. A stupid bathroom mirror scene. I know I wasn't expecting much, but did they have to use the stupid mirror in a stupid "scare" yet again?

If I see one more horror movie with a false "scare" because someone shows up behind the heroine in a bathroom mirror, I might just start an anti-stupid-bathroom-mirror-scene blog. Or a thread. Come on, directors. It's such a retread.

Even before the scare, I thought... Here we go again. First the mirror squeeks loudly every time it slides open, just to rile the audience up. Then along came The Scene. A man's reflection showed up just behind the heroine's reflection in the mirror! Gasp! (Yeah what a shock, I never saw that coming. ;)) Oh, and guess what? It's her husband! Oh how dare he show up in their bathroom? Snort!

OK, sometimes the scare is real -- a hideous creature appears in the mirror. (And I don't mean my reflection after I stay up too long watching these movies.) I mean an actual creature shows up in the mirror! Great. So what? How about creating some suspense? I mean suspense beyond "OK, when is the hideous creature going to show up in the mirror?"

And yes, some movies do these scenes well. But that doesn't mean almost every freaking horror movie should copy them. Besides, if the scariest moment in your movie comes because your heroine sees a reflection in her bathroom mirror, then maybe you should try a little harder. ;)

night-flyer
09-24-2010, 08:14 AM
I was watching a horror movie the other night, and of course the woman had to walk by the mirror. The music got that funky scary sound, and so I waited for it to come.
lol, it never did. She dawdled and walked by the mirror, but no scary monster/demon appeared. I was very shocked. The scary part happened a few moments later, but no mirror reflection horror.

That was quite funny, because I was waiting for it. It's been done so many times.
And then they tricked me, by not doing it.

AnneMarble
09-24-2010, 08:35 AM
That was quite funny, because I was waiting for it. It's been done so many times.
And then they tricked me, by not doing it.
Now that was clever. :D I wish more moviemakers would try being that clever.

Here's another one. Next time somebody does one of those "She thinks her husband is a serial killer even though everyone else thinks she's delusional..." plots... Why not have the actual twist be that she really is delusional?! That would be cool -- and probably make a lot more sense than the typical plot. ;)

night-flyer
09-24-2010, 08:51 AM
lol! Now, that would throw some people off.

It's just like in the haunted house movies. The husband always thinks that the woman is nuts, when she tells him that there's a ghost in the house.

I vote that she really is nuts, there are no ghosts. Just delutions, then she kills him--thinking he's a ghost or demon.

That'll teach him for not believing her. I hate it when the husband always says they're crazy, instead of believing them. What kinda husband is that?

MissMacchiato
09-24-2010, 09:02 AM
haha, there was a hilarious stand up routine where I think it's Eddie Murphy or Pablo Francisco talking about how if it was their wife, first time they ever heard that creepy voice which is like 'get out' they'd be out the door, down the path, in the car, and I have to say, that's my type of husband!

leahzero
09-24-2010, 10:23 AM
http://www.hulu.com/watch/11203/saturday-night-live-digital-short-the-mirror

kuwisdelu
09-24-2010, 10:26 AM
That'll teach him for not believing her. I hate it when the husband always says they're crazy, instead of believing them. What kinda husband is that?

One that doesn't believe in the supernatural?

But yeah, I think the future of twists is that the twist will be foreshadowed and foreshadowed and foreshadowed, and then the real twist is the lack of one, and what happens is an actual, logical ending.

clockwork
09-24-2010, 04:51 PM
The cousin of the bathroom mirror scare is the open fridge door scare. Nobody in the kitchen, open the fridge door, grab a beer, close the fridge door, "GAH! Where did you come from and how did I not hear you?!" A popular alternative because the scene is usually lit by the fridge light alone. Usually accompanied by a scary orchestral hit to let you know that this is supposed to be scary and that you should be scared now.

JimmyB27
09-24-2010, 07:04 PM
I think they should use this bathroom mirror thing in a vampire film.

mirandashell
09-24-2010, 09:12 PM
The one that gets me is when someone wonders through a dark house knowing there is a monster/killer in there...

Turn the bloody lights on, you silly cow!

dolores haze
09-24-2010, 09:26 PM
I have a horrific moment every single morning when I look in the bathroom mirror. There's not a damn thing I could see in a movie that would scare me more than that.

dolores haze
09-24-2010, 09:30 PM
The one that gets me is when someone wonders through a dark house knowing there is a monster/killer in there...

Turn the bloody lights on, you silly cow!

And don't go into the creepy basement, carrying a candle and wearing your snow white night dress. Gah! YOU DESERVE TO DIE!

night-flyer
09-24-2010, 09:38 PM
I agree with all Delores and Mirandashell, I want to kill these people myself. If you're too stupid to live, then I root for the monster. :D

mirandashell
09-24-2010, 09:45 PM
There's loads of films where I end up doing that! LOL!

night-flyer
09-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Teenagers, where they stop and have sex or smoke a joint while Jason is chasing them?

Or when everyone splits up to get picked off one by one when they know someone is killing them off?

lol

Shadow_Ferret
09-24-2010, 11:16 PM
I really hate any scene where the danger is right outside the camera view. And the person is there who SHOULD be able to see the monster just outside camera range, but doesn't, then the camera just does a pan and THERE IT IS! Yeah. Stupid. Why didn't the person see the thing standing right next to them like that?

Gah! I kept jumping even though I knew it was comedy.

katiemac
09-24-2010, 11:25 PM
I think they should use this bathroom mirror thing in a vampire film.

Buffy did it. Except it was a compact mirror.

Sage
09-25-2010, 05:33 AM
I think the creepiest mirror scenes are the ones where the mirror doesn't match up with what's supposed to be reflected in it. Like if the reflection moves when the person looking at it doesn't, for example.

I definitely expect something to move behind the character in the mirror in horror movies just because it's been done so often. Then when I'm feeling the most creeped out IRL, say, I'll be brushing my teeth and refuse to look up at the mirror because I do not want to see if there's something scary in there (bad logic, but so is being scared at that point).

Jessianodel
09-25-2010, 06:10 AM

I hate you. I knew the mirror scene was coming, but I expected a monster.

Jesus that guy was freaking creepy!

night-flyer
09-25-2010, 06:25 AM
I thought he was pretty scary! lol

I wouldn't want to see him in my mirror.

AnneMarble
09-25-2010, 07:36 PM
:roll:
The people who made that must have sat through the same movies. :D

xitomatl
09-26-2010, 09:07 PM
My favourite/hated horror movie cliche is getting the keys.

Quick, get the car door/house/garage/whathaveyou keys out quickly to get in and be safe!

Oh no, you have so many goddamned keys you have to try TEN of them to figure out which one it is!

Oh shit, now you DROPPED them! Gah, pick them up quickly!

FINALLY find the right key and get in the house/car/whatever!

Just as the door is closing, arm/leg/foot/stick blocks you from closing the door because you took so damned long to unlock the door!

I don't know about you guys, but I don't have three dozen keys on my keychain. Makes me wonder why these people insist on carrying around a warden's-sized key ring with them. Maybe they're all janitors.

Or when they yell "Hello!" into the dark, mysterious, creepy, building. Just to let the evil murderer or monster know exactly where they are. Great idea.

Oh, but we love the horror movies all the same ;).

Zoombie
09-26-2010, 09:32 PM
"So, if you were in a haunted house, you'd be the one who went to the closet to prove there are no ghosts?"

"No, I'd be the one in the front with the fucking flamethrower shouting that anyone sentient should get the fuck out because I'm burning the place down. I don't believe in ghosts, but I sure as fucking HELL don't believe in taking stupid risks."

My favorite quote about this kind of thing.

night-flyer
09-27-2010, 12:51 AM
Zoombie, you're going in alone. I don't want to end up a crispy critter. You're more dangerous than the ghost. lol

I hate the old abandoned fun house movies. Who leaves an amusement park abandoned, and how do they make the rides work after the place has not been running for years? And would you really want to ride on crap that has not been maintained for years?

If you find an abandoned amusement park, just know that there are likely insane, psycho killers in it there and stay out!!

Camilla Delvalle
09-27-2010, 04:46 AM
Yeah, mirrors are overused. What annoys me more is when the murderer is apparently killed but wakes up again and continues to chase them. :deadhorse

Camilla Delvalle
09-27-2010, 04:52 AM
I really hate any scene where the danger is right outside the camera view. And the person is there who SHOULD be able to see the monster just outside camera range, but doesn't, then the camera just does a pan and THERE IT IS! Yeah. Stupid. Why didn't the person see the thing standing right next to them like that?
Yeah, once I saw a movie where the detective was standing in the middle of a huge empty car park outside an airport. It was like 100 meters to the nearest object. The detective was looking for the murderer. Then suddenly the murder appeared from nowhere right behind the detective.

Smileycat
09-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Knock, knock!

Who's there?

Look in the mirror and you'll find out!

(sorry, that was the best I could do on such short notice)

Lyra Jean
09-27-2010, 07:46 PM
One that doesn't believe in the supernatural?

But yeah, I think the future of twists is that the twist will be foreshadowed and foreshadowed and foreshadowed, and then the real twist is the lack of one, and what happens is an actual, logical ending.

What no blowing stuff up?

Lyra Jean
09-27-2010, 07:51 PM
My favorite bathroom scary scene was done in "Sixth Sense" where he's in the bathroom and the ghost walks by the door. No mirror involved.

Why can't it be the guy who is freaking out about the haunted house the woman who is cool and collected.

xitomatl
09-29-2010, 06:38 AM
What annoys me more is when the murderer is apparently killed but wakes up again and continues to chase them. :deadhorse

Except if it's Michael Myers. It's okay if he does it.

Same cloth, different thread: Who else is getting sick of Rob Zombie doing movies? And more importantly, redoing movies? Apparently now he's re-making The Blob.

JUST STOP IT ALREADY!!!

:Headbang:

I really want to like him too, I see a proficiency for making movies there, I just wish, he, you know, didn't just take old movies and redo them. I think if he actually came up with a semi-original idea and ran with it, he might make some really awesome horror.

mirandashell
09-29-2010, 09:49 PM
OH just thought of one. Someone being chased by a car..... so they run down the middle of the road. Why? Why not go offroad? Run into the trees or the building. Don't just run down the road! You're a target! Ten easy points....

night-flyer
09-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Oh crap! That's my favorite one to yell at the TV about. Stupidest people alive...well dead, after the car hits them. I'm with you, Mirandashell, how hard is it to get off the freaking road?

blacbird
09-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Oh, crap, I know there's a slimy huge angry voracious monster hiding in this cave, let me go look.

night-flyer
09-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Okay Blacbird, while you're doing that, I'll go check out this abandoned house on the hill and see if I can use the phone to get help.

Lyra Jean
09-30-2010, 07:03 PM
OH just thought of one. Someone being chased by a car..... so they run down the middle of the road. Why? Why not go offroad? Run into the trees or the building. Don't just run down the road! You're a target! Ten easy points....

I think that's what made me mad about the first Mad Max movie. First, it's a long ass walk through the woods to get to the beach. The world is collapsing around them and she wants to go swimming by herself. Then when the bad guys come after her she just stays in the middle of the road. She deserved to die.