Status
Not open for further replies.

Clifton Hill

Not new, not old, just me.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CliftonH.com
I wrote this on my blog, and am still curious what others might think (Care to comment?):

Todd Newton posted an interesting piece about why he encourages everyone to review his book the Ninth Avatar, whether they liked it or not. Check it out here: http://initialdraft.blogspot.com/2010/09/importance-of-reviews.html

I find this interesting because it conflicts with my opinion. I was of the feeling that I shouldn't bother to write a review for a book I disliked because it was of a negative aspect and I wanted to focus on the positive. Problem is that there is some disingenuity to that. And I want to be honest. Obviously everything I write is my opinion though. So if I dislike a book, it does not mean that another will find it the same way. In fact I will point out a particularly well watched and reviewed movie: Batman Begins. I could not get into this movie. I have my reasons why I didn't conform with the masses, but I loved the Dark Knight. Absolutely.

A lot of it has to do with our expectations and prior experiences. I've heard of a lot of anger from X-Men comic fans regarding the X-Men movies, but I liked each one. Why? I had little expectation going in. I read some X-Men story lines when I was a kid, but I never collected them. (Simple fact for any person offended by that is I didn't like coming in late to such a large series—I felt lost as to how to approach it.)

The reverse is probably true if you have the background necessary to enjoy a certain piece, whereas a layperson does not.

So I am considering reviewing about books I did not like. Not to dismiss the author, or garner visits from those interested in controversy, but because I like to discuss books. How they work, and...how they don't.

So how do you approach reviews? What is your opinion on the matter?

MartinD

Thought I'd stop by
Registered
Reaction score
For a lot of authors, any recognition is welcome. It can be hard to be noticed in the flood of new books.

I've read a few zinger reviews that were just nasty but, in the comments below the review, I'll sometimes see something along the lines of, "It might not be very good, but I think I'll buy it, anyway. I'm always looking for romance novels about witches...."

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I blogged about it some time back, but in short: I think bad reviews sell books. They often tell the reader more about what's in the book than the good reviews.

If I had a book out, I'd also be encouraging people to leave a review. Good or bad, it doesn't matter as long as they say why.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think it depends on the book and the review. I doubt every negative review helped, hurt or even affected sales in the same way.

Last edited:

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
I posted this some time ago, regarding bad reviews, and Peter Lampack, one respected agent said to Clive Cussler something along the lines of
"Listen, when we start getting good reviews, we're in big trouble..."

So yes, negative publicity is publicity and can help spur sales on. :D
Not every negative review helped but it did make people more curious.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I blogged about it some time back, but in short: I think bad reviews sell books. They often tell the reader more about what's in the book than the good reviews.

Now that you say this, I realize you're totally right. I've bought several books off Amazon because I read the negative reviews and realized that whoever wrote them was totally not getting something - the exact "something" I was after.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
In publishing, they say a great review in the right spot will sell 100,000 books. They also say a horrible review in the same slot will sell 90,000 books.

If bad reviews mattered a damn, many bestsellers wouldn't have sold a hundred copies. I don't know if it still holds the record, but The Bridges of Madison County received what was, at the time, the most horrible reviews, and the fewest good reviews, of any book on record. But it hit number one on the NYT list three times, stayed there a year, and sold more copies in hardcover than any adult novel ever.

I suspect most people read reviews, and then, over time, forget what the hell the reviewer said, one way or they other. But they remember the book.

Clifton Hill

Not new, not old, just me.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CliftonH.com
Ok, so that's fascinating stuff.

Jamesaritchie - In the reference for "Bridges..." was it constructive negative reviews you speak of or antagonistic?

I certainly don't think that it is ever really appropriate for someone to be hateful in their review. If a book is that horrible, just stop reading or keep the review constructive. But I can see how something purely negative and inflammatory can almost add to a book's appeal and mystique.

I guess I won't feel so bad then if I write a negative (though constructive) review.

Sevvy

Spec Fic Writer
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of it has to do with our expectations and prior experiences. I've heard of a lot of anger from X-Men comic fans regarding the X-Men movies, but I liked each one. Why? I had little expectation going in. I read some X-Men story lines when I was a kid, but I never collected them. (Simple fact for any person offended by that is I didn't like coming in late to such a large series—I felt lost as to how to approach it.)

So how do you approach reviews? What is your opinion on the matter?

In that particular case, I don't think it was solely prior expectations (though those played a major role). The end of the second movie made a promise to those who were familiar with the story world by hinting at one of the most well known X-men story lines there is. And then they half-a**ed it. It was more a case of "go big or go home," and they should have gone home on that last movie. It's the same thing in books, actually. If there's a gun on the mantle in the first scene, you've made a promise to the reader that it's going to go off by the last scene. A very general example, sorry, but it's the best I can think up right now. I am glad you liked the movies, though. I enjoyed the first two very much, actually, and I was a fan from a young age.

I'm one of those people who read negative reviews of books on Amazon. If I'm looking for your book, I've already probably heard good things about it. Now I want to see if there's going to be anything in it I can't stand. If people are complaining about things that don't bother me, or their complaints sound silly, I'll still buy the book. So I don't think negative complaints can hurt a novel too much, because everyone knows that not everyone likes every product. We expect there to be negative reviews from people who just didn't like a book.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I keep a review blog and I cross-post reviews to Amazon and a number of blogging communities. I'll give negative reviews, positive reviews and meh reviews depending on what I think.

I do that because I've got an opinion and I want to share it but also because I think it's a way of building a relationship with people on-line by being honest about what you do and don't like. If all you're doing is reviewing books that you like, then you're only showing one side of yourself.

While I doubt that people would every buy/refrain from buying a book based on my review, I think that people do at least know that when I'm saying something positive about a book, I'm doing so because I'm genuinely enthusiastic about it.

I think I've only ever slammed 2 books in the 4 years I've been reviewing and they were God awful tripe that I couldn't find anything to be positive about. The rest of the time, I tend to say that I didn't like something because of x, y, z - for example, I recently posted a negative review of Hush, Hush because it pushed all the buttons I dislike about YA paranormal romance, but I equally made the point that if you like those things, then you'll probably like the book.

I think Todd Newton's being sensible - the important thing is that people are out there talking about his book on-line. That's one way to build word of mouth and word of mouth is gold when it comes to sales.

MM

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I've seen that happen with my own book. Someone wrote a scathing review. Several people responded with "I want to read the book to see if I agree with what you said." Some of them later reported that they didn't agree, and they loved the book.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I've bought books based on bad reviews before, because the things the reviewer hated were things I know I like. The reviewers own opinion actually means very little to me; I want to see their description of the book. A reviewer whose opinions are the exact opposite of my own is just as useful as one I agree with, I just buy the books they hate instead of the ones they love. :D

The only really bad review is one that praises or bashes without explaining why.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
If a book is so bad I can't think of anything good to say about it, I stop reading. So if I review a book, there will be some good points mentioned.

Sevvy

Spec Fic Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I've bought books based on bad reviews before, because the things the reviewer hated were things I know I like. The reviewers own opinion actually means very little to me; I want to see their description of the book. A reviewer whose opinions are the exact opposite of my own is just as useful as one I agree with, I just buy the books they hate instead of the ones they love. :D

The only really bad review is one that praises or bashes without explaining why.

Very truthful.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
The important thing is to get your name out there.

As far as I can tell, whatever negative press I've gotten has been drowned out by the good stuff--and my book keeps selling. I don't think the German or French foreign rights would have sold if it wasn't doing well--yet I got one whopper of a nasty review around when HBTO first hit the shelves.

Personally, I'd say just keep on truckin', and ignore whatever negative reviews you get. Thank the people who give you good ones, and keep on passing your book around to reviewers so that word of mouth will spread. Eventually the cover art or your name or the book title will "ding in" with the reading public and they may just pick it up because they've been "seeing it all over". Ya know?

Also, opinions are only that--what floats your boat may not float mine. Take any review under that advisement (even if it's for your own stuff). :)

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I don't review books often, but I posted a somewhat negative one a while back. I did it because I was so disappointed in the author and the in publishing industry that pressured her for another book so soon.
Her story went absolutely nowhere for the first 7/8ths of the novel and then the action really began. I got unbelievably tired of reading about the MC's lack of food and sleep for an entire year. She should have been dead after the first three months. Then, the author used an analogy to open each chapter (the same one) that really should have been used only once or twice.
She's an excellent writer, but that particular novel fell far below her potential.

PhoebeNorth

Time Lord Victorious
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.phoebenorth.com
I write reviews--positive, negative, gushing, ranting, but always honest and fairly detailed. Since a lot of YA authors really avoid writing anything but positive reviews, I've written pretty extensively about why I do what I do on places like YA Highway and my own blog.

The gist is that I think that detailed, honest, and frank reviews (positive or negative) are the only ones that are useful to the audience of those who buy books. And I agree that negative reviews sell books--I read the negative reviews of books that I buy (and sometimes love) because they're often much more helpful and descriptive than positive reviews.

Anyway, I can't wait to get some negative reviews myself!

Last edited:

KathleenD

New kid, but no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathleendienne.com
A bad review like the one Stephen King used to get in any number of minor variations would sell piles of books.

He'd get slammed for telling a page turning story that appealed to man's baser instincts, but the actual message received was "hey, a normal person might actually enjoy this book."

I've run into the opposite syndrome with Kazuo Ishiguro. I know some people who read the glowing reviews and think they're in for a boring experience more concerned with literary tricks than telling a story. I practically jump up and down and say, no, this guy's got the goods, he can do BOTH.

As it happens I think King does both, but that's a whole 'nother kettle of mutilated fish.

My worst review was written by someone who clearly didn't read the story - to the extent of not having any of the character names right. I was annoyed until I realized someone reading the blurb posted next to the review would realize the reviewer... was a few pages short of a full novella. And hey, it upped my Google ranking ;)

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I think passionate reviews in either direction tend to sell more books than passive, apathetic ones. If the book provoked a strong reaction in the reader, whether positive or negative, that's a good thing. It gets people both talking and thinking, and in my case, if I haven't read the book before, it makes me curious. I want to read it myself just to get in on the debate. (I put Hush, Hush on my To Read list for this very reason.)

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Of late I tend to write bad reviews rather than good ones, and I've done a few lately, because I recently read three books that has huge glaring plot holes. All three were books by established writers who had a following, and I had to say something to offset the gushing reviews they were getting. Because of those obvious plot holes I'm pretty sure they would have sold so well as first time authors, or maybe they wouldn't even have found publishers. That sort of thing annoys me no end. I'm sure my review made no effect on sales, but at least it's been said.

I do try to be fair, however, and point out the book's good points as well.

I would never write a bad review for a first time writer, or one who is not getting much publicity, or a struggling midlist author. They have enough to worry about.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so that's fascinating stuff.

Jamesaritchie - In the reference for "Bridges..." was it constructive negative reviews you speak of or antagonistic?

I certainly don't think that it is ever really appropriate for someone to be hateful in their review. If a book is that horrible, just stop reading or keep the review constructive. But I can see how something purely negative and inflammatory can almost add to a book's appeal and mystique.

I guess I won't feel so bad then if I write a negative (though constructive) review.

I don't think I ever read a constructive review of Bridges. Go back and look at some of the reviews. Many of them were simply insultingly bad.

I agree that when you think a book is bad it's best to just stop reading, but when a book just keeps selling and selling, too many reviewers can't wait to slam it.

I gave up reading reviews years and years ago. I simply do not care what any reviewer has to say about a book. No matter what the book is, all honest reviewers do is express one opinion, and too many reviews come form people who want to make themselves look big, or who simply have no clue.

I can form my own opinion. and I'm not going to pass on a potentially good book because anyone blasts it. Nor am I going to read a book with glowing reviews if it doesn't look like my cup of coffee.

I listen to my close friends, and I tend to trust the reading public more than most reviewers seem to.

Reaction score
I've run into the opposite syndrome with Kazuo Ishiguro. I know some people who read the glowing reviews and think they're in for a boring experience more concerned with literary tricks than telling a story. I practically jump up and down and say, no, this guy's got the goods, he can do BOTH.
Oh God, yes. The man is astounding. I love him like WHOA. Anyone else who does is added to my list of 'BFFs'. :D

KathleenD

New kid, but no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathleendienne.com
You're about to have a lot of BFFs ;)

Know anyone making T-shirts that say "I Read It Before The Movie Came Out"?

Mind you, I don't really care. I'm rubbing my hands at the thought of so many new people picking up the book, people who wouldn't read a book review if it were glued to the ceiling over their bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.