PDA

View Full Version : Type of motorcycle for my character...

Captcha
09-23-2010, 06:17 AM
I want my character to ride a motorcycle, but I don't know much about them.

I'd like a make/model that isn't too flashy - not a sports bike but not a big Harley either. It shouldn't be super expensive, but I'd like it to be recognized as good quality. Not quite a classic, but something that shows that he has good taste and appreciates quality workmanship. But the bike should be good because it's useful and reliable, not because it's pretty.

Can anybody help me with this? The story's set in the present day in Vancouver, Canada, so most American bike models are probably appropriate, but if there's anything specially suited to that setting, please let me know.

It should be a bike that would make a salt-of-the-earth farmer, who also happens to know about motorcycles, think favourably of my character.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Kenn
09-23-2010, 01:13 PM
The Japanese manufacturers dominate the motorcycle market and have done so for some time. There is no doubt that one of those would fit the bill, but they wouldn't set your man apart from the rest. Perhaps it's best to look towards the name rather than the quality of workmanship (which is excellent in Japanese bikes). Something Italian or a Triumph (a modern one) perhaps. Have a look at some bike reviews to see what they look like and if they would fit in.

Mr Flibble
09-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Kenn said it

A Triumph (trump), a Ducati maybe. Or a Bimota if you want a little flash. Mmmmmm Bimota,....

the addster
09-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Ducati? Not exactly cheap to keep. Or practical, but real pretty. If you give him anything Italian, he better be a mechanic by trade.

A HD Sportster would be small, inexpensive and reliable.

There's a move toward stripping down older Honda Goldwings because those things are so damn reliable, and they actually look kinda cool worked over. They are on the larger side, but look a lot sleeker with the crap off of them.

Kenn
09-23-2010, 10:13 PM
If you give him anything Italian, he better be a mechanic by trade.
I'm not sure why. The modern ones are very reliable (although servicing can be expensive).

A HD Sportster would be small, inexpensive and reliable.
Not sure I would describe any quarter ton bike as small. Harleys sound great and are excellent cruisers, but they are not especially good in many other respects because of their size.

rugcat
09-23-2010, 10:38 PM
I'd suggest a Beemer. (BMW)

They are the hallmark in quality for motorcycles, and if he had an older model and kept in immaculate shape, that could fit the character and response you want.

Here's a photo of an R-75, a 750cc model.

http://www.kliktronic.co.uk/BMW-R75.jpg

Kenn
09-23-2010, 11:27 PM
An R75/6 to be exact and it is a classic if ever there was one. Fair to say that they don't make them like that anymore. I am not so sure that the new ones are in anything like the same class (a bit like their cars in my mind, although that's only my opinion).

Captcha
09-24-2010, 04:12 AM
Excellent information, guys - thanks!

I like the look of that BMW...

I also liked the Triumphs that I saw on their website, but I wasn't sure about the image the website seemed to be trying to project - not quite sure if it fits my guy...

Canotila
09-27-2010, 02:54 PM
He could get a Chang Jiang 750 M1. They are the old BMW R71 manufactured during WW2. The plant was captured by the Russians, who shipped it off and manufactured bikes for themselves before selling the factory to the Chinese. As far as I know, those bikes are still used by Chinese law enforcement.

I looked into getting one before realizing me on a motorcycle = death. The reps at the company were super helpful and friendly, they quoted me $4800 American for a brand spanking new bike, including taxes, shipping, duty fees etc, to have it shipped into Seattle. For an extra $300 I could get a side car. Three of my friends have them and they are extremely happy with them.

http://www.chang-jiang.com/lsc/lsc60404.jpg

whacko
09-27-2010, 03:39 PM
I'd go with the Beemer too. But Kawasaki, Yamaha and Honda are all fine choices for tourers or sporties.

For a classic, there's always Norton too. For real class, you could have the Brough Superior -the first bike to top 100mph, and the machine Laurence of Arabia was killed on trivia fans.

That Chang Jiang 750 looks the part though, doesn't it?

Regards

Mr Flibble
09-27-2010, 03:46 PM
For a classic, there's always Norton too. For real class, you could have the Brough Superior -the first bike to top 100mph, and the machine Laurence of Arabia was killed on trivia fans.Or maybe a nice Ariel square four. Or an original Thunderbird (always wanted me one o' them)

I'm going to start dribbling any moment now. *sigh* Had to give my license back :( (not from speeding or anything, I hasten to add, because of a medical condition) I miss my elsie.

whacko
09-28-2010, 03:06 AM
Is that a Lotus elsie?;)

But the Thunderbird? I prefer the wine myself. But were I ever to rebel without a cause, that'd be the machine for me.

Regards

Mr Flibble
09-28-2010, 03:09 AM
Lol Elsie - LC (Yamaha RDLC. I had a race tuned one. Stan Stephens job, beautiful, till it got nicked. Just my size - cos I'm a shortarse - but went like, well you know off a shovel. I used to like surprising people at the lights :D 0-60 in about 2.5, and handled like a dream)

*sigh*