PDA

View Full Version : Best Science Fiction Movies of the Millenium?

Diana Hignutt
09-22-2010, 07:36 PM
There are two movies (at this time) that I would consider to stand far above the rest since 2000 in the science fiction film category:

Moon

and

Sunshine

What am I missing. It can't be that easy, can it?

childeroland
09-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Off the top of my head I'd include District 9, The Host, Ghost in the Shell 2 (and its sequel, Solid State Society), Paprika, Primer and WALL-E. I suppose I'd also include Timecrimes and Steamboy, a judgment with which no one will agree.

Diana Hignutt
09-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Off the top of my head I'd include District 9, The Host, Ghost in the Shell 2 (and its sequel, Solid State Society), Paprika, Primer and WALL-E. I suppose I'd also include Timecrimes and Steamboy, a judgment with which no one will agree.

I wasn't that impressed by The Host, and I haven't seen several of the others, but I'll give a thumbs up to District 9, Primer, Timecrimes, and how could I have forgotten WALL-E.

katiemac
09-22-2010, 10:29 PM
I really, really liked TIMER (http://timerthemovie.com/). Assuming it's still available, you can stream it on Netflix.

Shadow_Ferret
09-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Well, I haven't seen Moon (doesn't look that interesting to me) or Sunshine (ditto), and District 9 bored me, but I enjoyed the following:

Pitch Black
Jumper
Serenity
Star Trek
MInority Report
28 Days Later
Donny Darko

And if we can include comic book heroes and animated films, then:
X-Men
The Dark Knight
Wall-E

Mr. Anonymous
09-23-2010, 10:31 AM
I liked Gattaca a lot. Also thumbs up to Children Of Men.

AI was also interesting, but I'm not sure whether I actually liked it or not, lol. It has stuck with me though.

Diana Hignutt
09-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Well, I haven't seen Moon (doesn't look that interesting to me) or Sunshine (ditto), and District 9 bored me, but I enjoyed the following:

Pitch Black
Jumper
Serenity
Star Trek
MInority Report
28 Days Later
Donny Darko

And if we can include comic book heroes and animated films, then:
X-Men
The Dark Knight
Wall-E

I was deliberately leaving out comic books, but animated is fine I think.

Other than Jumper, I agree with all of your picks. I think you should give Moon or Sunshine (you liked Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later, after all) a try, they are bit more cerebral than your average sci-fi film, but you do like Donnie Darko.

Diana Hignutt
09-23-2010, 02:38 PM
I really, really liked TIMER (http://timerthemovie.com/). Assuming it's still available, you can stream it on Netflix.

I will check that out, thanks, Katie!

Diana Hignutt
09-23-2010, 03:46 PM
I liked Gattaca a lot. Also thumbs up to Children Of Men.

AI was also interesting, but I'm not sure whether I actually liked it or not, lol. It has stuck with me though.

Gattaca was a goody. I haven't made it through Children of Men yet, I find it rather grim for my tastes. I found AI to be the most relentlessly depressing film I've ever seen.

JimmyB27
09-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Sunshine
Really?

"A team of astronauts are sent to re-ignite the dying sun 50 years into the future. "

Seriously...that's a good film?

I'm trying to think of more...Cloverfield?

SPMiller
09-23-2010, 04:24 PM
This millennium meaning 2000 and after? I guess that depends on how we define "science fiction". I mean, Serenity is a western, and Star Trek is an action film. Cloverfield was horror (and bad), and Jumper was fantasy (and painfully terribad). Shit, even Minority Report was fantasy.

Diana Hignutt
09-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Really?

"A team of astronauts are sent to re-ignite the dying sun 50 years into the future. "

Seriously...that's a good film?

I'm trying to think of more...Cloverfield?

Yep. It's fabulous. One of Danny Boyle's best, imho. Great cast, great writing, great directing, some of the best visuals I've ever seen, and a moodiness that can't be beat. And I could look at Cillian Murphy and Chris Evans all day long.

Diana Hignutt
09-23-2010, 04:55 PM
This millennium meaning 2000 and after? I guess that depends on how we define "science fiction". I mean, Serenity is a western, and Star Trek is an action film. Cloverfield was horror (and bad), and Jumper was fantasy (and painfully terribad). Shit, even Minority Report was fantasy.

Yep, after 2000.

And, I think I did mean, real, hard science fiction at first. And my two picks for best still fit. Well. there's a little element of Sunshine we could debate, but quantum chaos gives us a little wiggle room on that one, I think.

SPMiller
09-23-2010, 04:57 PM
And, I think I did mean, real, hard science fiction at first.I figured you did.

Well. there's a little element of Sunshine we could debate, but quantum chaos gives us a little wiggle room on that one, I think.Yeah. I don't know about movies like Primer. That one was based on the same sort of quantum nonsense to justify time travel. Total rubbish, but entertaining nonetheless, especially for such a low-budget movie.

District 9, um, maybe. It doesn't fit my definition of science fiction. FTL travel was implied, for example.

JamieFord
09-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Inception.

JimmyB27
09-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Yep. It's fabulous. One of Danny Boyle's best, imho. Great cast, great writing, great directing, some of the best visuals I've ever seen, and a moodiness that can't be beat. And I could look at Cillian Murphy and Chris Evans all day long.
Okay. It just sounds like another appalling pseudo-scientific mess like The Day After Tomorrow.
Also...Chris Evans (http://images.askmen.com/men/entertainment_100/pictures_100/chris_evans/chris_evans_150.JPG)? Really?

Diana Hignutt
09-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Okay. It just sounds like another appalling pseudo-scientific mess like The Day After Tomorrow.
Also...Chris Evans (http://images.askmen.com/men/entertainment_100/pictures_100/chris_evans/chris_evans_150.JPG)? Really?

Yep, Chris Evan, really. The action takes place entirely on a spaceship (or two). Don't forget that Danny Boyle(the director) is aslo responsible for Trainspotting, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, and the Academy Award-winning Slumdong Millionaire.

Diana Hignutt
09-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Inception.

Yes. Of course.

Diana Hignutt
09-23-2010, 05:45 PM
I figured you did.

Yeah. I don't know about movies like Primer. That one was based on the same sort of quantum nonsense to justify time travel. Total rubbish, but entertaining nonetheless, especially for such a low-budget movie.

District 9, um, maybe. It doesn't fit my definition of science fiction. FTL travel was implied, for example.

I liked District 9, for what it was, but I wouldn't call it one of the best of the last ten years. Not against some of the others already named.

Shadow_Ferret
09-23-2010, 06:16 PM

You have a rather narrow view of what qualifies as Sci-Fi.

ajkjd01
09-23-2010, 06:24 PM
There are two movies that have seriously messed with my head over the last few years, and both could be considered some form of SF.

When I say "messed with my head" I mean that I can't get the storyline out of my head. It may well inspire writing projects down the road. It's like the brainworm that keeps popping up and making me nuts when I'm supposed to be working on something else.

Whether you think the movie is good or not, it's made an impact.

Those movies are...

Inception
I Am Legend.

mirandashell
09-23-2010, 06:30 PM
You have a rather narrow view of what qualifies as Sci-Fi.

Absolutely. Sci-Fi is a very broad umbrella. It can encompass almost any other genre. Horror, western, action adventure, romance.... you name it.

JimmyB27
09-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Yep, Chris Evan, really.
Did you follow my link? :tongue

SPMiller
09-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Whether you think the movie is good or not, it's made an impact.

Those movies are...

Inception
I Am Legend.As long as you're aware that the ending of the bolded movie completely destroys the entire point of the original story, cool.

defcon6000
09-23-2010, 07:25 PM
C'mon, no one said the new Star Wars films???

(JK. I know they sucked :tongue)

Shadow_Ferret
09-23-2010, 07:27 PM
As long as you're aware that the ending of the bolded movie completely destroys the entire point of the original story, cool.

Right. When I see movies based on novels like "I am Legend," I often wonder if they only read part of the book, or maybe the Cliff Notes version of the book.

defcon6000
09-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Right. When I see movies based on novels like "I am Legend," I often wonder if they only read part of the book, or maybe the Cliff Notes version of the book.
I'm pretty sure no one read I, Robot when they filmed it, except for the rules.

Shadow_Ferret
09-23-2010, 07:46 PM
I'm pretty sure no one read I, Robot when they filmed it, except for the rules.

Which Asimov claims he got from John W. Campbell. :)

defcon6000
09-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Which Asimov claims he got from John W. Campbell. :)
You learn something new every day. :)

SPMiller
09-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Right. When I see movies based on novels like "I am Legend," I often wonder if they only read part of the book, or maybe the Cliff Notes version of the book.It's far more depressing than that. They filmed something much closer to the original ending, but the test audiences gave it the thumbs-down, and so the producers forced a happier, more conventional ending.

AerostarMonk
09-23-2010, 09:43 PM
I had a problem with the huga tonal shift in Sunshine in the third act. It completely threw me out of the film. It seemed like it belonged to a different movie altogether.

As for I, Robot, I thought it was well-known that the script for that movie was really called Hardwired and was slapped on with a thin coat of Asimov paint to justify the title? Or maybe I'm mistaken. I sometimes get my trivia confused.

I'd like to submit AI: Artificial Intelligence. I know I'm probably going to hang for this one. But I think it's one of the most underrated sci-fi movies of the decade.

ajkjd01
09-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Yeah, was totally aware of the botching of the ending of I Am Legend.

I was still blown away by the world in the movie, and the book.

To me, the ending wasn't what's eating my head. There's probably some truth in the fact that it really affected me because of the fate of the German Shephard (I grew up with them. And not saying any more...cause it would be a spoiler).

It's the worldbuilding that's got me. I'm totally fascinated by the what-happens-when-the-people-go-away idea. I may end up writing something with this kind of world; I just can't get it out of my brain.

Zoombie
09-24-2010, 01:12 AM

Oh man, I had a hilarious idea.

What if what Christopher Johnson meant by three years was "three years for ME" and his ship could go up to 99.99 C or something like that.

Mr. Anonymous
09-24-2010, 03:32 AM
Gattaca was a goody. I haven't made it through Children of Men yet, I find it rather grim for my tastes. I found AI to be the most relentlessly depressing film I've ever seen.

It is pretty grim, yeah, but I liked it. I agree, AI was pretty depressing. What did you think of that ending though?

SPMiller
09-24-2010, 03:38 AM
I'll butt in there, Mr. Anonymous, to say that AI's ending ruined the film. It should have ended with the boy at the bottom of the sea, with the fadeout. Then Spielberg took over, and the movie just kept going, and ugh.

Mr. Anonymous
09-24-2010, 03:40 AM
I'll butt in there, Mr. Anonymous, to say that AI's ending ruined the film. It should have ended with the boy at the bottom of the sea, with the fadeout. Then Spielberg took over, and the movie just kept going, and ugh.

I'm right there with you, lol.

Diana Hignutt
09-24-2010, 02:47 PM
It is pretty grim, yeah, but I liked it. I agree, AI was pretty depressing. What did you think of that ending though?

It ended?

I see SP Miller already gave the answer I was going to.... (thanks, btw, SP)

AerostarMonk
09-24-2010, 08:30 PM

According to what I've heard about the film the ending was what Kubrick originally planned. Spielberg just went with it. Which is fine with me. I thought the ending was even more depressing than David at the bottom of the sea. A false happy ending is not a happy ending.

BeatrixKiddo
10-16-2010, 08:54 AM
While Sunshine and Moon were both very good, they hardly qualify as the "best of the millennium" (at least, in my snotty opinion)

I'd say Star Wars is at the top of that list, if not the very top.
Um, Blade Runner...hello!!! ;)
My top sci-fi movies of all time were Alien and Aliens. Ripley!
Then of course there's The Day The Earth Stood Still.
District 9 was pretty unique and interesting.
Back To The Future series...comedies count too ya know!
The first Matrix (and only the first...ahem)
Star Trek (dur)
Dune (I love that movie...don't judge me)
Spaceballs...ludicrous speed is GENIUS
(The?) Ice Pirates
Flash Gordon (corny can be magnificent too)
Not sure if Inception qualifies as sci-fi but it's one of my new favorites
Terminator
Tron (and hopefully Legacy)
Predator
The Thing
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
Coma
Brainstorm
Flight Of The Navigator (kids movies count too! Humph!)
E.T.
Robocop
Saturn 3 (one of my favorite classics and Farrah's hair was just divine)

and on and on and on...

Too many to count.

Diana Hignutt
10-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Yeah, this millenium is only films 2000 and after. Some of your list make it.

SPMiller
10-18-2010, 04:53 PM
According to what I've heard about the film the ending was what Kubrick originally planned. Spielberg just went with it. Which is fine with me. I thought the ending was even more depressing than David at the bottom of the sea. A false happy ending is not a happy ending.Brutal. Apparently true. But the movie should have ended at the bottom of the sea nonetheless. For one who made his name on sickly sweet sappy movies, Spielberg is awfully prickly about the "assumptions" people make about him. I consider them justified, even if in this particular case I was wrong.

RickN
10-18-2010, 06:07 PM
While Sunshine and Moon were both very good, they hardly qualify as the "best of the millennium" (at least, in my snotty opinion)

I'd say Star Wars is at the top of that list, if not the very top.
Um, Blade Runner...hello!!! ;)
My top sci-fi movies of all time were Alien and Aliens. Ripley!
Then of course there's The Day The Earth Stood Still.
District 9 was pretty unique and interesting.
Back To The Future series...comedies count too ya know!
The first Matrix (and only the first...ahem)
Star Trek (dur)
Dune (I love that movie...don't judge me)
Spaceballs...ludicrous speed is GENIUS
(The?) Ice Pirates
Flash Gordon (corny can be magnificent too)
Not sure if Inception qualifies as sci-fi but it's one of my new favorites
Terminator
Tron (and hopefully Legacy)
Predator
The Thing
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
Coma
Brainstorm
Flight Of The Navigator (kids movies count too! Humph!)
E.T.
Robocop
Saturn 3 (one of my favorite classics and Farrah's hair was just divine)

and on and on and on...

Too many to count.

Nearly every one of these was prior to 2001, so they're not from this millennium. Maybe the best from the prior millennium....

RickN
10-18-2010, 06:09 PM
It's far more depressing than that. They filmed something much closer to the original ending, but the test audiences gave it the thumbs-down, and so the producers forced a happier, more conventional ending.

Like the theatrical release of Blade Runner with the happy ending and the voice-over narration to explain it.

SPMiller
10-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Well, it's the same thing we all do in writing, isn't it? If your editor tells you a happier ending means your book will sell more copies, then you do what you have to do. Movie audiences aren't book audiences, after all.

dgiharris
10-21-2010, 12:07 AM
I'm guessing the new Tron, Tron Legacy is going to make the list :)

ANinfinity
10-21-2010, 12:13 AM
What do you guys think of Starship Troopers? I wonder why people make Movies based on books if they aren't going to use the book to make it? They could have made a better movie if they chose a similar theme and called it something else. It feels as if at least half of the movie adaptions of books are just using the name to grab a few extra readers.

After than mini-rant (rantlet?) - I loved Starship Troopers for some reason. One of my campy favorites.

defcon6000
10-21-2010, 12:34 AM
What do you guys think of Starship Troopers? I wonder why people make Movies based on books if they aren't going to use the book to make it? They could have made a better movie if they chose a similar theme and called it something else. It feels as if at least half of the movie adaptions of books are just using the name to grab a few extra readers.

After than mini-rant (rantlet?) - I loved Starship Troopers for some reason. One of my campy favorites.
Starship Troopers is a disgrace to Heinlein and should be burned.

Even if it was called another name I still think it was a bad film, it just wouldn't have gotten the undeserved hype.

Zoombie
10-21-2010, 12:57 AM
Dude, Starship Troopers (the film) was an awesomely subversive send up Heinlein's disturbingly pro-facism stance in the book! It was campy, hilarious, and has some of the BEST MUSIC EVER.

dclary
10-21-2010, 02:44 AM
Heinlein would have LOVED the movie version of Starship Troopers. I know I did!

defcon6000
10-21-2010, 06:53 AM
Heinlein would have LOVED the movie version of Starship Troopers. I know I did!
Are you Heinlein's medium?

Zoombie
10-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Also, I liked it because the monolithic facistic Federation were a bunch of blithering incompetents who got 95% of the characters in the film killed by managerial stupidity.

defcon6000
10-21-2010, 11:39 AM
All I remember from that movie was the vagina brain bug and that random (shallow) sex scene... My memory must be dirty.

Bmwhtly
10-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Probably "Frequently Asked Questions about Time Travel" (also know as "FAQ About Time Travel")

You've probably not heard of it, but if it's possible to see it in the colonies I suggest you do.

Zoombie
10-21-2010, 10:46 PM
All I remember from that movie was the vagina brain bug and that random (shallow) sex scene... My memory must be dirty.

Ah man, you should watch it again!

Just remember, it's a really sneaky film. Just like all of the other good Paul Verhoven movies.

Ya know.

Robocop.

defcon6000
10-21-2010, 11:40 PM

Just remember, it's a really sneaky film. Just like all of the other good Paul Verhoven movies.

Ya know.

Robocop.
I would if I could stomach the awful CGI. I don't believe I liked Robocop either. Weird, I know.

Zoombie
10-22-2010, 01:50 AM
You...didn't like...Robocop?

Are you...human?

<prods with a stick>

Diana Hignutt
10-22-2010, 02:59 PM

Ya know.

Robocop.

And Showgirls :)

seun
10-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Probably "Frequently Asked Questions about Time Travel" (also know as "FAQ About Time Travel")

You've probably not heard of it, but if it's possible to see it in the colonies I suggest you do.

That was a great film. Made me larf.

WCP
10-25-2010, 07:38 PM
i'd like to give a shout out to A Scanner Darkly, The Chronicles of Riddick, and District 9 (which is definitely sci-fi and should be on the list)

BeatrixKiddo
11-02-2010, 06:33 AM
Nearly every one of these was prior to 2001, so they're not from this millennium. Maybe the best from the prior millennium....

Sorry guys, my bad.

I get all excited talking about sci-fi...and then miss something important in a thread...like the actual meaning of the words "current millennium".

D'oh!

http://www.charite.de/klinphysio/images/static/homer_simpson.jpg

Lyra Jean
11-02-2010, 06:53 AM
Starship Troopers actually scared my brother because he saw it while I was in Basic Training (I didn't make it through). So he thought my basic training was the same as in the movie.

What is the real ending to "I Am Legend" I want to know. PM me if you could.

RayC
07-21-2011, 06:07 PM
The Matrix.
Brazil.
The Fifth Element.

Not a huge sci-fi fan, but I did really like those.

PrincessofPersia
07-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Also, Moon.

Inception.

Inception was terrible. I couldn't even finish it. I tried three times. I really did. It was just so awful.

The Matrix.
Brazil.
The Fifth Element.

Good choices, but none of those are newer than 2001, which is what the OP was looking for.

nighttimer
07-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Inception was terrible. I couldn't even finish it. I tried three times. I really did. It was just so awful.

You're off my Christmas card list.

Good choices, but none of those are newer than 2001, which is what the OP was looking for.

Fine then.

Blade Runner: (http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner-Four-Disc-Collectors-Harrison/dp/B000UBMSB8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1311325338&sr=8-7) Four Disc Collector's Editon (2007)

I win. :Trophy: Lock thread.

PrincessofPersia
07-22-2011, 09:29 PM
You're off my Christmas card list.

I'm not Christian, so no big loss there.

And I'm sorry, but it was just intentionally obtuse under the guise of trying to be deep. It's not that it was hard to understand, it was just pointlessly complicated. And boring. Soooooo boring.

Fine then.

Blade Runner: (http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner-Four-Disc-Collectors-Harrison/dp/B000UBMSB8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1311325338&sr=8-7) Four Disc Collector's Editon (2007)

I win. :Trophy: Lock thread.

:D Not sure that counts. Great movie though.

xitomatl
07-23-2011, 03:03 AM

Throw in "the bugs that fart up blue gas into space" and that's all about I remember too. It was truly awful. But I am glad I'm not the only person who thought thought that big brain bug looked rather like a huge Vagina.

If we're talking strictly from 2000 and beyond, I'm going to say 28 Days Later and Children of Men. Both I'm counting in the sci-fi world because they involve some sort of medical-type viral thing that instigates the plot.

It's tough, there hasn't been a huge boon of really great sci-fi movies in the past 11 years.

I have to say, I was not as impressed with District 9 as I thought I would be. It was alright, but just... alright.

And I Am Legend. Ya, that was actually rage-inducing what they did to one of my favourite books. Same with I, Robot.

Children of Men is a great example of how you can adapt a movie and retain the original feeling, even if you're changing the story a healthy amount.

Manuel Royal
07-23-2011, 07:45 AM

You've probably not heard of it, but if it's possible to see it in the colonies I suggest you do.Heard of it; would love to see it. Netflix doesn't have it, I know that.

Note: 2000 was last millennium. The 21st century (and third millennium) started January 1, 2001.

So that allows for Donnie Darko. Definitely different.

Another vote for Moon (in the top ten, anyway).

Primer (one of the best cinematic looks at time travel ever).

Timecrimes (Maybe even better. Merciless. And with an inherent ambiguity that is literally impossible to resolve.)

I enjoyed The Man From Earth, a little low-budget indie written by Jerome Bixby.

I guess I have to include Inception. It's an interesting treatment of an old idea. Some problems with the plot for sure, but the themes are so deep ... I've gone back and forth on this movie.

I haven't seen The Fountain yet. Haven't really gotten a coherent description of it; not sure whether it even counts as science fiction.

(Found Serenity disappointing; not in the top ten. Whedon's great with characters, lazy and cliched with plot. And he knows less science than I did when I was twelve.)

Definitely not Avatar.

Coming up: a new version of When Worlds Collide. I wish I could say it'll be good, but I have little hope.

Somebody's actually going to try and film The Stars My Destination. If this were done right, it would rock like nobody's business. Probably won't be.

ETA: Wanted to add Solaris, the 2002 Stephen Soderbergh movie. I think it's underrated. I've seen the 1972 Tarkovsky movie, and read the great Stanislaw Lem novel. They're three different works with different tones, but all three are good.

Y'know, I don't know why we don't have more movies set in space. Wouldn't you like to see a good movie set in a space colony, or in the Saturn system? (Maybe use my recommendation that we send robot crafts to Saturn to collect water and bring it back to, say, the Earth-Sun L2 point, to create a depot of fuel for propulsion and energy.)

ETA Some More: Supposedly we're going to eventually see a movie version of Rendezvous with Rama.

NewKidOldKid
07-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Gattaca. One of my favorite movies overall, sci-fi or not.

Children of Men too. Very dark, very grim (with a message of hope, though, so don't give up on it!) but that's the kind of movie I like.

Manuel Royal
07-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Reiterating: Gattaca (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119177/) came out in 1997. Good movie, though.

Cybernaught
07-30-2011, 07:27 AM
Equilibrium.

telford
07-30-2011, 12:23 PM
So, no one liked Dog Soldiers?

Victoria
07-30-2011, 01:20 PM

Dog Soldiers is one of my favorite movies, but is it scifi? I consider it strictly horror. Now, if the werewolves were from outer space...

GeorgeK
07-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Reiterating: Gattaca (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119177/) came out in 1997. Good movie, though.

It was good until the ending killed it for me, when the astronauts were wearing dinner suits to fly to Mars. I guess NASA got purchased by GQ.

Victoria
07-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Equilibrium.

Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes!

bearilou
07-30-2011, 04:25 PM

Favorite movie of all time.

:nothing