PDA

View Full Version : What would you prefer?

Gehanna
09-20-2005, 07:43 PM
MY BEANS ARE BURNING!

MadScientistMatt
09-20-2005, 07:51 PM
One of the large industrial Halon extinguishers that they have around here at work. When I put out a fire on my Triumph Spitfire with one, it made much less mess than another time when I tried to put out a similar fire on the same car with a dry chemical extinguisher.

Gehanna
09-20-2005, 07:51 PM
LOL

Lesson #1 for stress management

Do Not take on more responsibilities than you are capable of handling at the same time otherwise you'll burn your beans.

Gehanna
09-20-2005, 07:54 PM
I was working on a lesson plan for stress management and I was cooking and I was going to make a post about something but then my beans caught on fire and now I can't remember what I was going to post.

*shakes head* Oh Mercy

three seven
09-20-2005, 07:57 PM
Contrary to what Matt said, I wouldn't suggest using an industrial Halon extinguisher on a pan of beans. Simply turning off the heat and setting the pan aside should be quite adequate.

Gehanna
09-20-2005, 08:12 PM
What an awful mess. It looked like a Volcano erupting on my stove. Bean juice splattering everywhere and beans all over the place.

At least my cornbread was ok. I managed to save most of the beans but I think the pot is history. I seriously doubt that soaking will save it.

I should probably throw the pan away and get rid of the evidence before my husband gets home. He says I am one of the most dangerous people he's ever known...in the kitchen that is.

aspier
09-20-2005, 08:19 PM
Never cook beans! Use them in a pea-shooter pointing towards your husband. That'll freak him out more!

Unique
09-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Don't feel bad, Gehanna. I've got orange Kool-Aid all over my kitchen this morning.

The kitchen gods are angry with us today.....

Gehanna
09-20-2005, 08:44 PM
I think you are correct Unique. I only wish I knew why LOL

Aspire,

I'll include your idea in Volume II of Stress Management titled:

Stress Management Techniques They Don't Want You To Know About

Speaking of Titles,

I was at work the other day making wise cracks and told everyone that I was going to start a new Mental Health magazine for Toilet Readers (people who read magazines while in the bathroom) called:

The Out House Journal: Therapeutic Crap for The Mind

The really funky thing is that after I stopped giggling about it, I began to seriously consider the idea.

Shwebb
09-20-2005, 08:50 PM
The really funky thing is that after I stopped giggling about it, I began to seriously consider the idea.

Gehanna, funny you should bring that up--I was just thinking yesterday that I wish there were a mental health magazine for the layman, that could be both informative and inspirational. So much stuff out there about physical health, but what about the mind? I see medical doctors finally coming to terms and dealing w/ informed patients, but psychiatry is a different story--they don't want you to really know anything that they don't tell you, at least in my experience.

Power to the people, man! (Especially the insane ones. . . )

Gehanna
09-20-2005, 09:06 PM
Shwebb said

Gehanna, funny you should bring that up--I was just thinking yesterday that I wish there were a mental health magazine for the layman, that could be both informative and inspirational. So much stuff out there about physical health, but what about the mind? I see medical doctors finally coming to terms and dealing w/ informed patients, but psychiatry is a different story--they don't want you to really know anything that they don't tell you, at least in my experience.

Really?

Hummm You know you have a very valid point. I often ask clients, who have seen a Psychiatrist, if they know what their diagnosis is and approximately 90% have no idea.

That really bothers me because I think clients need to be informed and I can't understand why so many are not. This is one of the reasons I make wise cracks about mental health. It isn't that I am against it. Lord knows that I am an advocate but it does concern me greatly that the most well informed clients are those who have been in and out of institutions. They are informed because they have been able to pick up info here and there. It should NOT be that way for anyone.

Oh ohh I just mounted my high horse again. If i don't shut up now, I'll be preaching on this topic all day.

Shwebb
09-20-2005, 09:25 PM
It's been my personal experience that the goal in psychiatry is to affix you with a label so they can treat the label, just as they do in medicine. I've often felt like the proverbial elephant in the roomful of blind men--I can't tell you how often I've been improperly dx'd. Thank goodness I've had a couple of therapists who don't mind that I'm intelligent and well-informed, and who were brave enough to agree w/ me when I said the dr. was full of crap.

We have self-help magazines for the body, why NOT one for the mind?

It could include both drug and natural therapies, as well as highlight different modes of psychotherapy treatment (and there are scores of theories) and it could have personal stories of inspiration about how people are working on healing themselves.

I'm certain drug companies would be willing to purchase advertising! LOL

Or am I just having a manic episode? (HEY, I didn't know I was bipolar!)

I wouldn't know the first thing about starting something like this, though, but I'm certain I'd be able to contribute some really good material for it.

PICK UP YOUR PLASTIC FORKS AND UNITE, MY CRAZY BRETHEREN!

Gehanna
09-20-2005, 09:57 PM
Just last week, I began working on the creation of a newsletter. The purpose will be to address all areas of health and healing which will certainly include mental health.

This thread has just given me the focus for what will be included in the first issue.

KTC, I'll need your editing again please. You are my grounding force. You are also the one who will need to help me maintain the level of clarity that will be required for ... as Shwebb put it ... the mental health layman. :)

I have a nasty habit of talking in technical terms.

Are you up the the hire, KTC?

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Unique
09-20-2005, 10:03 PM
Hey! I have a whole drawer full of plastic forks! I want to contribute too. Please, please let me play. You don't even have to give me a diagnosis. I'll bring my own.

I'm damn crazy.

(or as Jenna likes to say, we're all sick weirdos) I'm in for that.

Shwebb
09-20-2005, 10:10 PM
C'mon, Gehanna, let me in, too! Oh, my brain is racing w/ ideas! (Damn, AM I manic?!?) Let me do something, too!

WILL WORK FOR AMBIEN

Gehanna
09-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Absolutely Shwebb and Unique!

I'd be honored to have the two of you involved.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Gehanna
09-21-2005, 03:35 AM
KTC,

I posted a bio for edit in The Critique and I sent you a PM from there as well.

paprikapink
09-21-2005, 04:48 AM
My mother was an avid reader of "Psychology Today" while I was growing up. She used it to throw out little tidbits like this one: "I've read that people who think they should only have to do a job once have big egos." I earned that by suggesting maybe if we put the stuff we took out of the closet back in the spot we took it from it might not get so messy that we couldn't open it. I was, like, 12. I've since observed that her little pop psychology quote in this case, could be true. But I still don't think I deserved "big ego" for a little suggestion.

Maybe your newsletter could have a section on why Paprikapink Hates Her Mother.

[Just kidding. I don't hate her. She's usually pretty funny now that she doesn't have those darn kids to take care of.]

Gehanna
09-27-2005, 04:20 AM
Updated Info for those who may be interested,

I've been busting a hump and the first ever CurrentDay Newsletter has been created!!

It is called Holistics Today: Your Current Day Guide to Holistic Health & Healing.

I figured that to be a much more appropriate title than The Out House Journal: Therapeutic Crap for The Mind. *grin*

Anyway,

Volume 1, Issue 1 is scheduled to be sent out via. email on October 1st, 2005.

It is a free newsletter and so far, it features articles written by me and KTC...or is it KTC and I?

I hate to cut this post short but my son needs me now for homework help. Fortunately, 2nd grade work is easy to edit. :)

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Shwebb
09-27-2005, 07:08 AM
Gehanna,

Congrats to KTC and you!

I will send the thing we discussed--I've been held back a little by a bad cold.
(Achoo!)(sniff, sniff.)
You'll have it before Friday. I think my brain fog should clear by then. It'd better, we're going on vacation to SC next week. I should still be available by email, though, or through PM.

Shel

brokenfingers
09-27-2005, 07:41 AM
Gehanna, send me a copy when it's ready, I think I might need it.

It seems my mind is deteriorating. I used to be able to multitask effortlessly and perform admirably. I guess the day job, WIP, new projects, problems back home in NYC, kids, life, blah, blah, blah etc are taking their toll.

I just got back from NYC last week and bought a new computer with me. Well, I've been transferring files etc all week, here and there and every damn time I need a program cd - I can't find it!

It happened again today when I went to install my printer/scanner thingamajig into my new computer. I looked where all my program cd's usually are - not there, of course. So I looked in the pile of old program cd's, my box of old game cd's, I looked where I put my important stuff, looked in my junk drawers, my backup junk drawers and my inadvertant new junk drawers, looked in my box of really old cd's, my music cd collection, my music cd collection still in the storage box, my stack of music cd's with no cases, under my bed, in the emergency backup junk drawer (which also doubles as the utensil drawer) - still nothing.

And what makes me angry is that the damn thing is only a few months old so the cd can't have gotten buried too deep!

And to make matters worse, I found that damn pack of batteries I knew I had but after spending days looking for them I had to finally admit defeat and reconcile myself to the fact that I guess I did use all those freekin' batteries and had to go out and buy another pack and so now I have 2 opened 12 packs of batteries rolling around in my junk drawer but STILL NO DAMN PRINTER DRIVER CD!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I've thought about it and I would like to be on your mailng list.

Thank you.

paprikapink
09-27-2005, 08:31 AM
Broken fingers, that is a beautiful description of junk drawer proliferation. Who can't relate?

Gehanna, I'd *love* to read your newsletter, even though I wish you'd gone with the Therapeutic Crap title. [I'll bet there's a link in your signature file? In that case, I can't see it; I turned off signatures in the hopes that my pages would load faster.]

Gehanna
09-27-2005, 03:35 PM
Hello!

Originally, I didn't provide a link for the newsletter sign up but it can be found here: http://www.currentday.com/index.php

Pardon the clutter of information on that page. I plan to tidy it all up soon. The newsletter does not focus entirely on mental health. It will address all areas of health and healing.

To Shwebb,

I hope your cold goes away soon and may you enjoy your vacation! :)

Sincerely,
Gehanna

aspier
09-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Is this you, Gehanna? What would you prefer ... that I ask you once again to do a shoefiction for me? Or to smile a happy smile?

Wave!

aspier

Gehanna
09-27-2005, 11:54 PM
No, that is not me. I wish it were tho because I have this thing for rocks and water.

I do need to get some professional pictures made. I don't have any decent ones because of my husband. He has a nasty habit of zooming in on certain attributes and I don't mean my eyes. lol

sassandgroove
09-28-2005, 12:00 AM
Gehanna,
Wow, I just signed up for the newsletter. I am looking forward to it. Great job on the site. Sass :)

Gehanna
09-28-2005, 12:01 AM
That's wonderful news!

Thanks,
Sassandgroove

Unique
09-28-2005, 12:06 AM
Boo hoo - I'm forbidden to see your picture, Gehanna, and I can't see apier's either. (pouts) I hate it when I can't do things other people can do...phooey.

Gehanna
09-28-2005, 12:14 AM
Hi Unique!

The picture that Aspire posted is of the lady on the CDHH index page.

I need to remove the link I posted of me because the image is huge and it will take a toll on bandwidth.

I need to have a decent picture made for professional reasons but I don't enjoy having my picture taken. I never look the same from one image to another and it freaks me out.

aspier
09-28-2005, 01:22 AM
No, that is not me. I wish it were tho because I have this thing for rocks and water.

lol

I am having a discussion with somebody at the moment re exactly that. This is what I wrote when you posted this = 'Its very important that you do not stand on the rocks but stay swimming over them. Points are sharp so don't ...' but I think you know this. So yes 'rocks and water' mmm.

Send me that pic and I'll scale it down for you! This lovely pic now oops bigger, no?

aspier
09-28-2005, 01:27 AM
Boo hoo - I'm forbidden to see your picture, Gehanna, and I can't see apier's either. (pouts) I hate it when I can't do things other people can do...phooey.

No no no pouting dear! Are you hand-y-cubbed? Smile! I'm hiding here = http://users.skynet.be/spier/ and deeper = Minimalism gone! Happier now? Mmm broad smile!

Gehanna, second thoughts ... your husband ... eh what kind of zooms? Exact ones? Oeee ... no wait, let me go yoga rather. Get a clean mind again! (pssst just teasing smile!)

Unique
09-28-2005, 04:07 AM
No no no pouting dear! Are you hand-y-cubbed? Smile! I'm hiding here = http://users.skynet.be/spier/ and deeper = Minimalism gone! Happier now? Mmm broad smile!

Gehanna, second thoughts ... your husband ... eh what kind of zooms? Exact ones? Oeee ... no wait, let me go yoga rather. Get a clean mind again! (pssst just teasing smile!)

Yes, I am happier now. Minimalism is for furniture - not poetry.

The yoga/rocks/water picture sure does look like Gehanna, though - don't you think?

aspier
09-28-2005, 12:20 PM
Yes, I am happier now. Minimalism is for furniture - not poetry.

The yoga/rocks/water picture sure does look like Gehanna, though - don't you think?

Tnx Unique! Happy happy! KTC I love you! Oh and yes sure ... it's Gehanna allwrite! Twice! One small and one bigger! And you know what too? She's got the most exquisite red shoes hiding in her attic you can think of! And she stalls stalls making a shoefix! Snif! Very misterious, no?

Gehanna
09-29-2005, 02:54 AM
Honestly, that isn't me.

It is an image I licensed from a stock photography site. I do not own the copyright. As a result, I must ask Aspire to remove it.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

aspier
09-29-2005, 12:49 PM
Honestly, that isn't me.

It is an image I licensed from a stock photography site. I do not own the copyright. As a result, I must ask Aspire to remove it.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Yes I know Gehanna - I was going to today! It was just a quicky glancy to make you happy! So, ok woosh delete now!

Gehanna
09-29-2005, 06:30 PM
Thank you for removing it Aspire. :)

Sincerely,
Gehanna