Afraid of heights?

JMC2009

Your friendly neighborhood Chat Op
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not really afraid of heights, more the falling from them.

My dad knows an 80 year old who is still actively doing this.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't this the kind of job Carole's husband does? (very dangerous)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
nononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononono

000dh013

Gawd, I can't even watch the episodes of Dirty Jobs where Mike climbs a 200-foot tower. Hell to the no.
If you put $10-million up there in a paper bag, I couldn't climb up there and get it.
I couldn't even look up at the top of that tower and wonder what I could do with $10,000,000. Hell, I clicked on the link but I couldn't bring myself to start the video.

nononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononono

SO HERE'S A PICTURE OF MY SIMS 3 CHARACTER WHO'S TEH HAWTEST YOU'VE EVER SEED IN YOUR ENTIRE LIFE TO HELP EVERYBODY GET THEIR MINDS OFFA THAT VIDEO

000ezqqf

(Asher Salamander. And yes, his eyes are purple.)

Qbynewbie

New but not a kid anymore :)
Registered
Reaction score
Very cool. I definitely enjoyed watching that. :)

Given the opportunity, I'd do it. :)

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
That is the coolest video!! I don't know how they can climb that much, I would've pooped out soon after getting out of the elevator.

Just imagine if the wind gusts became really strong!! That would be horrible. My cousin did skyscraper windows. But I don't think the buildings were even close to that height. Plus he had a scaffold, so it was safer.

But what a beautiful view!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Holy cow! I didn't understand the perspective, that it was taller than the Sears Tower! That guy must be in excellent shape to climb a LADDER that high. I get exhausted after just a few flights of stairs!

And I can't imagine what the wind is like up there.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Ugggghhhhh! I'm terrified of heights, but I can usually get over it if I'm strapped in or hooked up to something really well. I even repelled once back in the day at one of those face-your-fears type of nature camps.

But for some reason, skyscrapers do me in. I don't trust going up to the windows! Crazy.

Give me some good solid gear and a real, solid mountain and I'd get those millions :D Something manmade or just a bunji cord or something? Hell No!

Qbynewbie

Registered
Reaction score
The fear of heights is funny -- it's not exactly related to height above the earth. I'm a private pilot and often fly my plane a few thousand feet above the ground, especially if giving someone a scenic ride; 3,000 feet AGL (above ground level) is a great height for scenery. I've given rides to folks who have a real fear of heights on the ground but who found that they had no fear at all in my plane.

I also participate in some pilot forums (think AW for pilots). It turns out that a fair number of pilots are also afraid of heights. I know one pilot who won't climb halfway up a twelve-foot ladder but who thinks nothing of flying his plane at 12,000' AGL. Go figure. :)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...I know one pilot who won't climb halfway up a twelve-foot ladder but who thinks nothing of flying his plane at 12,000' AGL. Go figure. :)
That's interesting, how a fear of heights, in his or her case, wouldn't have led to a fear of flying. Must be the perspective is different inside the plane versus outside among the elements; or maybe there's more of a sense of control in the cockpit that isn't available while climbing a ladder.

Qbynewbie

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps it's a bit of both. I think it operates differently in different people. Some people are afraid of heights and still terrified in planes.

I know one woman who was terrified of flying so she decided to take flying lessons to overcome her fear. ;)

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love when other people take risks.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
I fly just fine,
--it's the walk from the airport bar to the gate that always gets me.

me too...especially if that bar is a Gordon Biersch with their own brews and I've hit them at happy hour...argh

:)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
It might sound strange that I don't fear heights for myself, but I do for others. I can't stand to watch high wire acts, for example, or even someone working at the top of a telephone pole. I look away every time, as it makes me nauseous.

That's why I didn't follow the link in the original post, as I knew it had to do with someone way up there who might fall down to earth and be killed.

There must be a name for that, such as, Fear of Someone Else's Heights. :)

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
The fear of heights is funny -- it's not exactly related to height above the earth. I'm a private pilot and often fly my plane a few thousand feet above the ground, especially if giving someone a scenic ride; 3,000 feet AGL (above ground level) is a great height for scenery. I've given rides to folks who have a real fear of heights on the ground but who found that they had no fear at all in my plane.

I also participate in some pilot forums (think AW for pilots). It turns out that a fair number of pilots are also afraid of heights. I know one pilot who won't climb halfway up a twelve-foot ladder but who thinks nothing of flying his plane at 12,000' AGL. Go figure. :)

Now that you mention it, you're right! I'm exactly that way. I could probably hang outside of an airplane's window and not be bothered at all. Maybe I'm only afraid between 50 feet and 2,000 feet.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
this makes it sound like you're afraid of someone who is tall...

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
It might sound strange that I don't fear heights for myself, but I do for others. I can't stand to watch high wire acts, for example, or even someone working at the top of a telephone pole. I look away every time, as it makes me nauseous.

That's why I didn't follow the link in the original post, as I knew it had to do with someone way up there who might fall down to earth and be killed.

Man, I hear you on this. Especially little kids. Freaks the bejeezus out of me.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
SO HERE'S A PICTURE OF MY SIMS 3 CHARACTER WHO'S TEH HAWTEST YOU'VE EVER SEED IN YOUR ENTIRE LIFE TO HELP EVERYBODY GET THEIR MINDS OFFA THAT VIDEO

000ezqqf

(Asher Salamander. And yes, his eyes are purple.)

I play this.

My dude looks better. I named him Ranger Morelli.