PDA

View Full Version : STRENGTH, questions for the promotors:

rtilryarms
09-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Some quick questions for the promotors:

1) What are the anticipated out of pocket costs?

2) Has anyone contacted Lulu.com (or other publishers) on behalf of AW to share in the costs? It would be highly palatable to have such high exposure with such a prominent writing group.

3) I am still contacting Corporations. Have we established our distribution goals?

ChunkyC
09-20-2005, 07:42 PM
I'll have to get back to you on our costs for creating the downloadable posters/flyers, yarmy. It's going to be all labour, as the actual printing of them will be done by those who download them. Mind you, we'll be printing a bunch ourselves to distribute around our area, so I'll be able to give you that cost as well. As for the rest of your questions, those are probably Jenna questions.

Christine N.
09-21-2005, 01:26 AM
I have a Book Festival to go to on Oct. 1. Any chance the flyer will be done before then? I'd love to be able to hand them out.

JennaGlatzer
09-21-2005, 02:10 AM
Hi! Sorry-- I've been so wrapped up with the editorial end of things that I've had little time to work on the rest.

I got two cover mock-ups today from our artist, Kyle, and am working with him to make some changes. He did a cool job with the layout, but the image wasn't quite right.

I am planning to contact Lulu to ask if they'd donate part of their cost/profit as well. It would be impossible for them to completely donate the printing costs (that's a big outlay on their parts), but it would be cool if they'd donate their own part of the proceeds from it. Of course, they'd get some good press out of it, too.

Mike, my thought on sponsorships is this:

What if we just offer a flat-rate "ad" section in the beginning pages, right after the introduction?

$30 donation to the Red Cross or another approved charity for hurricane relief for a 40-word ad, or something like that.

The reason I mention "or another approved charity" is that we could wind up raising donations for two organizations this way. The Drawing Strength participants are raising money for Habitat for Humanity to rebuild homes, for instance. I like that cause, too.
My cost for the project thus far has only been the domain registration for www.storiesofstrength.com (http://www.storiesofstrength.com)-- something like $14.

The ISBN will cost about $35.

I don't think there are any other necessary out-of-pocket costs. I will spend some money to distribute a press release through PRWeb.com. The rest of the costs are labor and anything we choose to do in terms of publicity-- mailings, review copies, etc.

Dawno
09-21-2005, 02:21 AM
BTW, hope this isn't too OT, I've just downloaded a nifty animated graphics program and am experimenting with creating 'buttons' to do little blog ads. If you need something like that, I'd be happy to volunteer...I'd like to help somehow (aside from buying copies), just let me know what I can do.

ChunkyC
09-21-2005, 02:24 AM
I have a Book Festival to go to on Oct. 1. Any chance the flyer will be done before then? I'd love to be able to hand them out.
Based on Jenna's target of the 25th to finalize the cover, I'd say the odds are really good to have the flyer/poster done before the end of the month. We're ready to rock the moment we see the cover. I think it'd be great for you to have 'em to hand out there, Christine!

By the way -- could any of you folks from Europe verify that the two appropriate sizes for flyers/posters in your area are A4 and B4 respectively?

Ken Schneider
09-21-2005, 02:27 AM
I would be happy to make a donation for the cost Jenna. 50.00 bucks help?

I will be advertising the book, how what and why in three daily newspapers.

? though.

If we want to purchase copies to sell locally, put in bookstores locally-etc, will we be paying full price.

I have a large convention-Christmas show and books sale related- at the IX (international expo )convention center in Cleveland in late Nov. I could take copies with me, and flyers.

We can all put it up on our websites.

I'm not looking to make any money for myself, of course. Just curious as to how it will work.

Denise should be sending my story back very soon.

Ken

Alphabet
09-21-2005, 04:05 AM
$30 donation to the red cross or other seems truly miniscule amount. Is it really worth dragging the anthology into what might be perceived as an advertising gimmick for that kind of donation especially when you think that companies tend to have charitable budgets and aren't going to be changing their charitable budget one cent, just diverting from one to another - that's the reality of it.

I've got serious doubts about it - and it has nothing to do with me, I know, but I'm just voicing my concerns. Now, if you wanted to get global corporations who will actively promote the book to their staff eg in corporate newsletter or mass-emailing - i.e. a real publicity partnership - now THAT would be worth giving some add-space to, and worth far more than $30 too. Can we get any to agree to purchase n books for staff-incentives too perhaps?

And come to think of it, I'm not sure advertising is a good thing even then - perhaps just a 'with thanks to the following corporations for ....' and then a discreet list.

rtilryarms
09-21-2005, 05:42 AM
Anything will help

mommie4a
09-21-2005, 06:27 AM
Just a couple of suggestions/thoughts (though I have very little experience in this):

1. I'm presenting at the Society of Professional Journalists conference in Vegas from Oct. 15-19. They have something like 10K members, 1K usually show for the conference and Judith Miller is one of the speakers. If you think there could be an opportunity to use that forum, please let me know.

2. What about advertising or asking writer's groups to publicize the book? For example, Poets & Writers League of Greater Cleveland would probably be willing to send something out to its members (I would ask the head, who I know casually).

3. Bloggers - the blogosphere is pretty darn huge. While we all may have only 10-20-200 or whatever visitors, between us all, it could be a lot. For sure, I will do something to advertise the book on my blog and website.

Ok - that's all. :) Hope it sparks something that could help raise $$.

JennaGlatzer
09-21-2005, 07:23 AM
companies tend to have charitable budgets and aren't going to be changing their charitable budget one cent, just diverting from one to another - that's the reality of it.

I know what you're saying. I was hoping that the money would be taken from their advertising budgets instead of charitable budgets, though, which wouldn't otherwise be used the same way.

More thoughts in a bit... hubby is going to kill me if I don't spend a little time with him.

rtilryarms
09-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Coming together nicely

aruna
09-21-2005, 02:20 PM
I think one company that could be approached is amazon.com. There must be some way they can contribute - for example, carry the book on their front page!

Christine N.
09-21-2005, 03:40 PM
That's a good idea Aruna. Don't know if Amazon will put a Lulu book on their site. I guess there's going to be a boilerplate press release that we all can get to send to our local papers? We have three here, plus the four local TV stations, affliates of FOX, et al...

Will there be a media kit? LOL Sounds weird, but I think if we had one to send to big media it would help.

Unique
09-21-2005, 05:10 PM
And come to think of it, I'm not sure advertising is a good thing even then - perhaps just a 'with thanks to the following corporations for ....' and then a discreet list.

Just two cents worth, but I agree with Alphabet. If ads were included, perhaps they should be in the back, not the front. Hopefully the readers would be feeling charitable and uplifted after they've read the wonderful stories - a better psychological response for the advertisers and the writers.

Let the 'touchy-feely' go first - then the commercial aspect.

Christine N.
09-21-2005, 06:46 PM
I like the subdued, humble contributor's list in the back, myself.

MarkPettus
09-21-2005, 08:21 PM
I don't think you should include advertising. If a company wants to donate money or services, I recommend using a double-spaced aknowledgement page with each company's name centered on its own line, a la public broadcasting...

If you think advertising monies are required to justify the effort, sell tear-out cards at the back of the book, and don't sell them cheap.

Shwebb
09-21-2005, 08:29 PM
I don't know if I'm showing the true extent of my ignorance by putting this out there, but

do you think it would make sense if we put any up-front money we receive in paying for sample copies to show to bookstores or for initial inventory, so bookstores would be more likely to carry them? We might sell more that way, and make up for the intial investment by the sponsors.

Alphabet
09-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Shwebb... hands up from me here... I'm equally ignorant of what is supposed to be done LOL!

But it does seem to me that is a very dangerous road to tread. The last thing we want is to make people think that the monies we receive might not be going 100% to directly aid the victims of hurricane. I think unless a sponsor specifically allows/requests their donation to be used to further promote the book we should not even think of using a dime of it other than as claimed.

JennaGlatzer
09-21-2005, 11:54 PM
I think unless a sponsor specifically allows/requests their donation to be used to further promote the book we should not even think of using a dime of it other than as claimed.

Yes, agreed.

The review copies have to be something that we do ourselves and pay for ourselves. NO ONE is required or pressured to buy copies of the book, but if you're up for it, one good way each of us can help is to buy one copy to send to a media source, along with a press release (or bring in to a local bookstore).

-NOTE: Anyone who does this, please make sure to post to tell us where you've sent a copy so we don't duplicate efforts. I'll start a separate thread for that.

If a company wants to donate money or services, I recommend using a double-spaced aknowledgement page with each company's name centered on its own line, a la public broadcasting...

Cool. I'm used to having to bend over backwards for advertisers with low budgets, but I think you're all right in correcting my thinking on this. A "thank you to the following companies, who supported our efforts" type of page sounds good to me.

The compromise can be that I'll list them all (with links to their sites, assuming they all have sites) on the storiesofstrength.com main page.

rtilryarms
09-22-2005, 01:02 AM
Jenna,

I'll email you tonight. I have people who will help with no provisions of promoting thier businesses. If all we need is a couple / few hundred beans then we are covered. All I'll do is give them a book each with a few siggys thanking them by successful contributers.

if you need more money we can cross the bridge when we get there.

I'll email ya tonight

aruna
09-22-2005, 09:00 PM
A couple of questions: is the title decided on? "Stories of Strength?" Just curious.

Will the book be available in the UK, and how? I would be happy to act as a distributor if need be: packing and sending off the books. Unless it becomes a bestseller here and I get such an avalanche of orders I can't handle it! Just wondering.

I have contact to the Amazon Customer Reviewers Discussion Board. They are great, concerned people with lots of heart and generosity. When Guyana had a flood last January they collected for a member whose home was destroyed. There are lots of them, they are prolific book readers and BUYERS, and have family and friends... and write great reviews! People like Don Mitchell and The Rebecca Review can help get it into the public eye. I know them - virtually.

Shwebb
09-22-2005, 09:08 PM
Pardon me for my ignorance, but I'm wondering how it works when people buy the book from a bookstore instead of through Lulu.com. I know that the price will be set (I'm assuming by Jenna, or somebody) and Lulu takes so much per book, the balance going to charity. Does the book price get posted on the cover? Then if the book gets sold at a bookstore, how do they get their cut?

rtilryarms
09-25-2005, 04:57 PM
I know this is a "DUH" question but has anyone contacted Red Cross?

Shwebb
09-25-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm in process of contacting our local Red Cross chapter--I happen to know the Financial Development Director on a casual basis.

Ken Schneider
09-25-2005, 05:04 PM

Um... good question.

good answer- http://www.tri-cityherald.com/tch/local/v-rss/story/7012179p-6914337c.html

http://www.redcross.org/

Edit: Just another thought. At the red cross site you can find your local chapter. If you can set up a signing for the anthology, maybe your local chapter could be involved as an encouraging force. Maybe they would even park the redcross truck outside the bookstore.

rtilryarms
09-25-2005, 07:30 PM
Red Cross is a partner charity with United Way....

Moondancer
09-25-2005, 08:36 PM
Hmmmm...

Red Cross is a partner charity with United Way....

I got an idea. Update soon.

I am working with one here but there are questions I can't answer, yet, that may prevent them from helping with advertising and gaining press notice. I am saying this because I think I have an idea what your idea is so don't be disappointed if you get a "No". There are regulations that charities must follow, especially if they have federal charters and funds.

rtilryarms
09-26-2005, 12:39 AM
I am working with one here but there are questions I can't answer, yet, that may prevent them from helping with advertising and gaining press notice. I am saying this because I think I have an idea what your idea is so don't be disappointed if you get a "No". There are regulations that charities must follow, especially if they have federal charters and funds.

Good point

Moondancer
09-26-2005, 02:42 AM
But I work for one of the largest United Way contributors / campaigners in the USA. And the campaign is just about to break ground..

Cool... I hope, I hope, I hope....

Alphabet
09-26-2005, 02:47 AM
For a U Kan't believe I don't know this .... what/who is United Way?

<secret handshake>

Richard
09-26-2005, 02:53 AM
Catch: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Way

PattiTheWicked
09-26-2005, 04:43 AM

I've emailed the PR and community relations folks at the Greater Columbus Chapter of the Red Cross with information.

I promised 'em a gallon of A-neg if they'd help out.

rtilryarms
09-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Everybody here is so awesome!

maestrowork
10-01-2005, 01:11 PM
I just got an email from Red Cross about their "Dine For America" day -- October 5th (and I'm going to participate)... just thinking if we could get them to officially sanction the anthology and send out an email like that (with a link on their website), it would be a great promotion...

rtilryarms
10-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Ray, it may be more possible from a national level. But to get there one has to start at the local level. Do it and if you get an ear, you might be the one that finds the brother-in-law of the CEO/Chairman. I'm doing the same thing on the opposite corner of the USA.

I will be turning the networking up when we get the official press release and poster graphic done.

Alphabet
10-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Since we are setting our own book prices and such....

WHAT (and it is a big what, so I capitalised it) if we were to have two copies of the book, one that cost the big give-to-charity price, and the other that represented a cost-price REVIEW COPY. I'd even go for giving LULU a percentage on review copy versions of the book.

So long as people were sensible with the review copies, and only gave them to places that could influence a large number of readers (I'd say +500 as a ball-park figure), I think it would make publicising the anthology that much more affordable for us all.

Don't get me wrong, if that doesn't happen I'm still quite happy to work out how much I want to give to the charity and do some of that via copies of the book which I can then selectively distribute to best effect, I just know some of us are less financially sturdy than others at this time.

On the OTHER hand, perhaps it IS a good idea to force a charitable contribution with each review copy, just to keep us in check and to make sure that we don't spend more on promoting the book than the book ends up making for the relief-fund.

See - I don't even know if this is a good idea or not, but it is certainly something to think about. Thoughts, anyone?

Kim Gogo
10-01-2005, 05:32 PM
Since we are setting our own book prices and such....

WHAT (and it is a big what, so I capitalised it) if we were to have two copies of the book, one that cost the big give-to-charity price, and the other that represented a cost-price REVIEW COPY. I'd even go for giving LULU a percentage on review copy versions of the book.

On the OTHER hand, perhaps it IS a good idea to force a charitable contribution with each review copy, just to keep us in check and to make sure that we don't spend more on promoting the book than the book ends up making for the relief-fund.

Hmm...not sure about this one. As soon as you mention two prices, people's backs get up. I agree that the big corp's can afford higher prices for charity, but with my experience in contracts with the Cdn fed'l gov't, (we have to sign-off and ensure that the gov't is getting a better price than anyone else b/c they're the fed'l gov't, by gosh, and they're here for the betterment of the vulnerable tax-payers....yada, yada.) people don't like knowing that there is a better price and they have to pay the more expensive one...even if it is for charity, because it isn't like they will get a tax receipt for charitable donations when buying the book.

I am considering attending a book fair here and offering the books, but I, too, cannot afford to buy 40 and then have no one buy them. Not that that would happen and to be honest, I probably have 40 family and friends who would be willing to buy them from me. But one thing I was thinking of doing instead, was buying 10 or 20 and then also having the flyer available with the weblink. Then, what I would do is try to minimize the sale of the book only to those who don't have internet access. Those who do, I can give them the flyer and urge them to buy it themselves AND if they want me to sign it for them, they can find me at my monthly Cdn Authors Assoc meetings that meet the third Tuesday of every month.

That's a way around buying lots of copies out of your own pocket. Not sure if I'm alone on the two-price thinking. Let's see what others have to say.

kim

ChunkyC
10-01-2005, 06:50 PM
Jenna's call on all this kind of stuff, but I have to agree with Kim. Two tier pricing at the very least will make an already complicated project even more so. I'm not sure we'd see any benefit we couldn't achieve with other advertizing methods. I think we'd be better off trying to convince anyone we might give a review copy to, to buy themselves one. Every copy sold at full price puts money in the Red Cross's disaster relief fund, and I personally wouldn't like to see a single copy go out that didn't generate that money.

MarkPettus
10-01-2005, 06:57 PM
There is a solution to this problem, but it will require some legwork (or phonework).

Contact your local good-guy companies, the ones who support the arts center, or have their name on plaques commemorating their support in building the new library, or the new YMCA. Ask who you need to talk to about soliciting support for a charity. When you have the right person, ask them if their company would sponsor the book selling efforts by fronting the purchase of books for local sales and reviews. Offer to have a placard made up that will tell people that your signing/event/effort is made possible by the XYZ Corporation, and that they will not need to make a donation, just purchase the books for resale, and that their money will be returned as the books sell.

They will most likely donate the money to buy the books, and you can use the money from sales to buy more, to cover the cost of reviewers copies, or as a direct donation to the Red Cross. You may be able to get the local Red Cross to give you contact information for the best local good-guys if you tell them what you are trying to do.

Alphabet
10-01-2005, 08:45 PM
I've been misunderstood.

I wasn't talking about 'in order to buy 40 books for re-sale' at all.

I was referring simply to the books that would go to accomplish Jenna's comment

NO ONE is required or pressured to buy copies of the book, but if you're up for it, one good way each of us can help is to buy one copy to send to a media source, along with a press release (or bring in to a local bookstore).

-NOTE: Anyone who does this, please make sure to post to tell us where you've sent a copy so we don't duplicate efforts. I'll start a separate thread for that.

So 'As soon as you mention two prices, people's backs get up.' doesn't answer the question at all, since I'm not suggesting having two prices. I'm suggesting having a 'zero price' review-copy - probably (but not necessarily)with 'review copy' printed somewhere on it.

Vanessa
10-01-2005, 09:00 PM
I have lots of questions in regard to this whole process. But I'm laying low now until everything is final. I have a company that will definitely sell this product in their stores. But it will be a huge demand of productivity for LULU. Again, will ask questions later. I've briefly mentioned what I know to all respective parties.

Ken Schneider
10-01-2005, 09:15 PM
I have lots of questions in regard to this whole process. But I'm laying low now until everything is final.

I agree Vanessa. We can speculate all we want, but it's Jenna's call.

However she decides it should be is okay with me. I'll work with that.
Ken

JennaGlatzer
10-02-2005, 03:40 AM
I have asked Lulu if the authors can get a discount on review copies. They haven't specifically answered that yet. I think there's a way to accomplish it, but am waiting to talk it through with them.