PDA

View Full Version : Looking for beta readers

jlstratton
09-21-2010, 05:14 PM
I have a completed manuscript draft (rough edit complete) of about 54K words and 30 chapters. It is in the genre of paranormal erotica or erotic romance, although there are many crime and suspense elements in the work.

Therein lies the question. I'm looking for a readthrough from someone who's written or read this genre in order to help determine how this work could be marketed or what changes would be required to make it fit into some specific genre.

Some background info:

My protagonist is a demon succubus cast out of her clan and forced to live in the mortal world (Atlanta, Georgia) for her many attempts at trying to hold on to men for a relationship. She wants to experience love like a mortal but her nature and her needs for men's energy leave her prospective lovers dead.

My other main character is a police detective put in charge of investigating some murders. He soon hones in on my protagonist and corners her as she is entering the Four Seasons Hotel in midtown Atlanta. He brings her in for questioning but cannot hold her because they lack the evidence.

The protagonist decides she is going to take the investigator out the only way she knows how. but, when she finds him asleep in his apartment and tries to do him in, she discovers that he has been hiding a dark secret of his own.

That should be enough to give an idea about the story. I'll just say that the story involves demons and werewolves - all shapeshifters with their own special powers.

Please respond here so we can determine if we, as writer and beta reader, are a good fit.

Sydewinder
09-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Hey JL,

Just some friendly advice - you'll get more replies if you fill out your profile and contribute to the forum a bit. A lot of beta readers, myself included, are not keen to beta read for people who appear as though they came here for one reason and will leave as soon as they get what they want. I'm not saying that's you, but there are people like that. Also, you might get more replies if you're willing to beta-read something, too.

Finally, I would suggest you post your first chapter on the "Share your work", thread as you will likely get some really good feedback, and people who are hooked by your first chapter might offer to continue with a full beta read for you.

Good luck,

jlstratton
09-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Thanks Sydewinder,

I'll make sure to fill out my profile information and contribute to the site by way of feedback, posts, etc.

I'm brand new here and, although I had been here before, I dissappeared for awhile as I finished an ongoing project.

I am willing to read the work of others in exchange and I will post some of the work on a thread. The only difficulty I have posting the work is that I believe I will have to post it in a section for adults. The work is paranormal erotica.

Sydewinder
09-21-2010, 08:42 PM
That's not a problem. There is a SYW thread designated for Erotica. You'll find quite a few people here who write it and who can give you the feedback you need.

Good luck!