Status
Not open for further replies.

KathleenD

New kid, but no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathleendienne.com
I used to think the eternal wait between submission and rejection was the worst. Then I decided the wait between a revise and resubmit and the acceptance was the worst.

But my indecision is at an end! The worst is submitting a story to a contest you really, really want to win (even though it's a total long shot and the judges have probably already rejected it and they aren't even bothering to make fun of you because you're just that mundane)... and having no earthly clue if your submission went through at all.

I know the odds are over 99% that my entry was received. I know I must not pester the judge. I know that making the judge recognize my name for any reason besides my story is Bad.

Seriously, it's like the entire short story contest universe has been specifically designed to tap dance on the top ten neuroses that afflict writers.

Someone hit me with a wet fish before I email to ask if my story was received.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with you on that. I sent a play to a contest whose previous winners I'd read. I figured I had an excellent chance, because I was not impressed. They asked for paper submission and an SASE.

Frankly, it's good that I forgot about it until well after the notification date, because I wasn't checking my mail for my congratulations and a fat check. I never heard from them at all. Why the SASE, then, huh? Huh? Huh?

Maryn, peeved anew

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Smacking Kathleen D upside the head with a Great White.

And laughing. I often have a story out to the quarterly Writers of the Future contest. Gotta send 'em and forget 'em. But WotF is a class act as far as notifying pretty much on schedule. And it's free. I only do free. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.