What is the 'standard' agent commission?

iwannabepublished

working hard - hard at work?
Banned
Reaction score
I know this is way premature, but I have a question - what is the standard commission an agent charges a new author? An agent requested the first 40 pages of my manuscript and then asked for the complete manuscript. I'm still waiting to hear back. I've read through pages of posts here about this agent and found that a few years ago he began charging 20% for domestic sales and 25% for foreign. That sounds like a lot, but then again I am a new author. If I (ha ha) do get the the point of being offered a contract, is it wrong to attempt to negotiate the commission?

cspradbery

Best before 1998
Registered
Reaction score
I have seen a few (very few) agents here in the UK who are asking 20% for domestic. My agent (at a very large London agency) charges 15% domestic and 20% overseas which seems to still be standard in most places. I was worried that because of their size and contacts they might ask for the higher figure, so was pleasantly surprised.

In terms of negotiating, unless you have multiple offers, I think it would be a mistake.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I have only heard of 15% and 25% (for foreign).

It never hurts to negotiate. How the agent handles the negotiations will probably tell you a lot about your ability to work together as well.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
The Nancy Coffey Agency charges 20% domestic and 30% foreign (or used to). Fortunately that's rare. The normal rate is 15/20.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Even 15/20 is a lot higher than it should be, but it is, unfortunatelty, the current standard. Anything above this is theft.

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
I've read through pages of posts here about this agent and found that a few years ago he began charging 20% for domestic sales and 25% for foreign...If I (ha ha) do get the the point of being offered a contract, is it wrong to attempt to negotiate the commission?

Besides Julie's post, I know of another legitimate agent who does; he once made me an offer, and then I discovered his rates--I wonder if it's the same one? Can you attempt to negotiate? Sure. Does this agent I'm thinking of let you? No. It was part of why I turned him down. But truthfully, only a tiny part. It's not standard, however. :(

Last edited:

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
I know this is way premature, but I have a question - what is the standard commission an agent charges a new author? An agent requested the first 40 pages of my manuscript and then asked for the complete manuscript. I'm still waiting to hear back. I've read through pages of posts here about this agent and found that a few years ago he began charging 20% for domestic sales and 25% for foreign. That sounds like a lot, but then again I am a new author. If I (ha ha) do get the the point of being offered a contract, is it wrong to attempt to negotiate the commission?

As others have said, 15% for domestic and 20% for foreign and other subsidiary rights is standard. If this agent has raised his rates, he's unlikely to extend a discount to a new client; it's more likely he'd apply it to new clients while keeping his old rates for his veteran clients. In any case, the only way you can really succeed in a negotiation is if you have another offer on the table and he knows it. Otherwise, you're in too weak a position. Better just accept graciously if he offers (assuming you like him and want his representation) and raise the matter after your book is published and hits the lists.

iwannabepublished

working hard - hard at work?
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. The agency I'm waiting to hear from is PMA.

I didn't really think I'd be in a negotiating position as a new author, but just wanted to check.

Siddharta

Lazy Kid, be gentle
Registered
Reaction score
On a related note - can someone please confirm for me that the agent commission lasts for the life of the book? I've read different views on this - some say the agent gets 15% for a set period of time.

For example, imagine what Rowlings agent will continue to make for the next century or so. It's a lucrative business - if your very lucky. I suppose it must be quite exciting in that sense.

Also, say you write a runaway best seller, get an agent, then fall out with said agent (maybe he knocks up your wife). Imagine how you will feel in 50 years when you're sitting outside the old retired writers home with a blanket over your knees and he drives by in a red Ferrari with a 22 year old blond sitting on his lap?
I'm gittin' mad just thinkin' about it!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
On a related note - can someone please confirm for me that the agent commission lasts for the life of the book? I've read different views on this - some say the agent gets 15% for a set period of time.

For example, imagine what Rowlings agent will continue to make for the next century or so. It's a lucrative business - if your very lucky. I suppose it must be quite exciting in that sense.

Also, say you write a runaway best seller, get an agent, then fall out with said agent (maybe he knocks up your wife). Imagine how you will feel in 50 years when you're sitting outside the old retired writers home with a blanket over your knees and he drives by in a red Ferrari with a 22 year old blond sitting on his lap?
I'm gittin' mad just thinkin' about it!

Std deal is the life of the book, just as you continue to receive royalties for the life of the book.

If your agent can run a Ferrari and maintain a 22 y.o. blonde on 15% of your earnings then what did you do with your share? If 'The Da Vinci Twilight' did that well for you, then your royalty income should be several times that of your agent even after tax

Last edited:

Siddharta

Lazy Kid, be gentle
Registered
Reaction score
The agent would definitely be a savvy businessman, and a shrude investor. I, on the other hand, am a conscientious, angst ridden tortured soul of a writer. I probably blew most of my share on divorces, whiskey and gambling - and wasted the rest. What's tax??

JoannaVolpe

Registered
Reaction score
Nancy Coffey Literary commissions

The Nancy Coffey Agency charges 20% domestic and 30% foreign (or used to). Fortunately that's rare. The normal rate is 15/20.

The Nancy Coffey Agency charges 15% for domestic. Foreign sales depend on how many subagents participate.

As far back as our agreements go, 15% has been the domestic rate.

*Sorry about my first reply--I was trying to figure out how to post.