My plate is too full.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This year my two oldest kids started middle school and high school and the two youngest are still in grade school. This means that the oldest one has to be at school at 7 a.m. and the youngest not until 9 a.m. This also means that the oldest gets out at 2:00 and the youngest at 3:30.

I work nights and sleep in the day so I can get them to and from school and make sure they aren't getting into trouble in the afternoons, but this new schedule means that when I come home from work I only have from about 9:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. to sleep. It also means that every time I work I have to stay awake and still function at a reasonably high level for about 20 hours at a time.

I also have three boys playing youth football on two different teams who practice on different days, so the running never seems to stop. Now add in doctor's appointment, ER visits (not work related) and all other parental responsibilities and I'm buried.

I've barely written anything since this started and I'm too flustered to track submissions, so all writerly things have come to a standstill.

Lately I've been thinking that the only logical thing to do is put writing/publishing dreams on the back burner for now, but I feel like if I do I might never get back to it, or that it will be years before I do. (Like when I decided to take a "break" from college at 22 and didn't get back to it until I was 30.)

Has anyone else done this and lived to tell about it? Is it weird that I feel greedy for not wanting to give it up? I've learned a lot in the last couple of years and my writing has certainly improved. I don't want to dust off the keyboard at a later date and find that I'm so rusty I can only write in shorthand, because that's what happened the last time I "took a break" from writing. Can you break from writing for years and not have to start over at step one?

Sorry if this seems whiny, but it's not really something I can talk to my non-writer friends about. To them, it's just a hobby. To me, it's momentum and opportunities lost.

Okay, long post. I'll shut up now.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Your cup definitely runneth over.

Give yourself some time to acclimatize to your new routine. I recently started a new job and haven't had the head-space to do any writing-related activity until this very week (I've had the job since early August).

It takes time to get used to major changes in routine. Don't think you'll never have time again. Take a break and rest assured you'll get back to it when things have calmed down. You will find the time.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a similar experience when my kids were younger (much younger). I worked midnights, got home about 8ish, was up with my kids all day while their father was at work. He got home about 3:30. We had dinner and I went to bed about 5ish, back up at 10ish to be to work at 11.

I did this for three years, one of them as a single mom. Believe me, I know how insane it is, even without the writing.

It's not whiny to not want to give up something that gives meaning to your life. I refused to do it too. I wrote when I could at work. I trained the kids that Mama had writing time that they had to be good during. Without the kids "helping out", nothing about that time would work out.

What occurs to me is: Can your high schooler drive? Can he take some responsibility for the middle schooler's to and from and give you more time to sleep? Get all the kids to help with evening things like dinner and clean-up to give you some writing (or more sleeping) time. It's going to have to become a family effort because you NEED that sleep as well as personal time to stay human and yourself.

Have a family pow-wow and get the ideas flowing. My experience is that kids are far more likely to be on-board with such a project if they help brainstorm solutions--and they might think of things you haven't yet. They know your life and routines far better than anyone here. If nothing else, bringing it to their attention in such a way will let them know how important it is to you and if something has to give, you're not automatically going to make it your dreams.

I think that's an important lessons for kids to learn.

Good luck.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Caro and DeleyanLee. Head space...good term. That's what I'm out of.

My highschooler has Downs so she needs to have an adult put her on the bus and be there when she gets off. She's a super easy kid, but her disability comes with a few extra responsibilities for me.

As for the younger three, they are boys and close in age. Any two of them together can help out, but when you add the third to the mix they tend to get competative and it always turns into a war. Hence, keeping my eye on them when they're home. They help out with laundry and dishes, but their cooking misadventures are more than I can take.

My husband helps out as much as he can by getting my daughter up and moving before he leaves for work and ferrying kids to football when I can't because of work, but he's feeling taxed too. We only saw each other in passing for four days straight last week. I think we've adopted the "We'll catch up when the kids leave for college," mentality.

As it sits right now, I can't schedule anything. The best I can hope for is to get a few words in on the rare occasion that I'm left alone for short spurts and my brain is still functioning well enough to do so.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I would contact local organizations for people with developmental disabilities for assistance in getting your daughter to and from school. Do the other kids take the bus to school? If not, can they get themselves to the bus stop? Or check with the school for car pools. Ditto for sports, other activities. As for the competitiveness, don't set them up with "group" responsibilities - give them each a specific job so there's no reason to get competitive. Last but not least, get a mother's helper, if only for a couple days a week.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The local orgainizations for folks with developmental disabilities only help out the adult population. She gets picked up and dropped off by the school district, but that's about all I can hope for right now.

As for the boys, we live too close for the bus to pick up (they don't run routes here unless you live more than 2 miles from the school) but they would have to walk past a park where most of the towns homeless population live and several of them are wearing sex offender bracelets. If I let them walk I wouldn't be able to sleep anyway because I'd be obsessing that someone was trying to abduct one of them.

I know it will change eventually. Everything does. In a few years they'll be more independent and I'll be able to relax a little more. In the mean time, what's a mother's helper? Is that like a nanny? Do they do that for older children?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
From the Absolute Write book of inspiration, I'm reminded of the story:

"God, my plate is too full."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Here's a bigger plate."

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
The local orgainizations for folks with developmental disabilities only help out the adult population

Really? How odd. Then I'd check with social services or the local United Way for more resources. I can't believe there's no one out there that deals with kids.

In the mean time, what's a mother's helper? Is that like a nanny? Do they do that for older children?

A mother's helper is anyone who comes in to help out with various things - children, running errands, fixing meals, whatever the parent needs help with. What they do depends on your needs - you negotiate times/payments/etc. If there's a local college or trade school, those are ideal places to find them as they can be more flexible schedule-wise.

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
From the Absolute Write book of inspiration, I'm reminded of the story:

"God, my plate is too full."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Here's a bigger plate."

So, God would be, what...the Bus Boy in this scenario? Nice. Real nice. :)
Kay, my kids are very involved and busy as are yours. Mrs. Wit and I have been dealing with similar scheduling problems for as long as I can remember. The only advice I can offer is just to roll with it. Keep things in perspective, take pleasure in being with your family when you can. Enjoy your time with them. The rest will come as you acclimate.

Peas-out, baby.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Peas-out, baby.

PEAS-OUT???? We can't be out of peas! I was going to make a friggin' caserole for dinner! What am I supposed to do now? Let everyone starve? Oh, that's just great, bunneh.

*adds peas to grocery list*
*sobs hysterically*
:cry:

Nah, I know I need to roll with it. It's just crazy right now and I don't acclimate quickly. I figure I'll get the system down right about the time it changes again.