PDA

View Full Version : If a picture's worth a thousand words . . .

randywrite
09-20-2010, 08:49 PM
I thought about this often quoted saying the other day, and it struck me like a cliched and stereotypical "bolt of lightning" - what would happen if I flipped the phrase around. For example:

If a picture's worth a thousand words, then must I write a thousand words, just to show you one picture? hmmm...

then this one hit me like a ton of bricks:

If a picture's worth a thousand words, well . . . I guess I'll be finishing my novel in the year 3010!

Join in, anything goes...........

If a picture's worth a thousand words, I have no pants on......

Come on........

If a picture's worth a thousand words, I can't see my ex-wife in this picture because her evil face has burned my retinas......

OK, AWers...your turn, anything goes....almost anything....you can be serious or funny....hit me with your best shot! :)

Maryn
09-20-2010, 09:01 PM
If a picture's worth a thousand words, then I'll be able to finish my novel today, as soon as the camera's battery charges.

Maryn, all woo-hoo about it

randywrite
09-20-2010, 09:22 PM
If a picture's worth a thousand words, then I'll be able to finish my novel today, as soon as the camera's battery charges.

Maryn, all woo-hoo about it

ROFL good one Maryn. Wow wouldn't that be nice. Just take one photo send to your publisher and they hand you over $10,000,000.

L.J.
09-20-2010, 09:32 PM
If a picture's worth a thousand words, then why do you keep yakking at me? Just show me the Polaroid.

randywrite
09-20-2010, 10:13 PM
If a picture's worth a thousand words, then why do you keep yakking at me? Just show me the Polaroid.

LOL you sound like my friends Liza, they are always telling me to shut up!

kayleamay
09-20-2010, 10:22 PM
I framed these (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5270257&postcount=1525) and hung them in sequence above the trophy shelf.

Pictures really are more efficient.

CACTUSWENDY
09-20-2010, 10:59 PM
If a picture is worth a 1000 words....

Then Ol' Fashion Gal must be a knock out. :D

randywrite
09-20-2010, 11:37 PM
I framed these (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5270257&postcount=1525) and hung them in sequence above the trophy shelf. Pictures really are more efficient.

Funny and also high quality pics....football pics are worth a gazillion words.

If a picture is worth a 1000 words....

Than Ol' Fashion Gal must be a knock out. :D

Ok Cactus, you'll have to clue me in on who Ol' Fashion Gal is.......

Maryn
09-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Speaking of Polaroids, did you know that you simply cannot get film for them now? I live in Kodakland, where the best photography stores can make you specialized film, but you probably can't afford it. The line is that it's cheaper to buy a digital camera and a computer to view on and print from than to have self-developing film packets made.

Maryn, who learned this doing research for a novel

P.S. Back to the thread: If a picture's worth a thousand words, then these Polaroids I've got of my state senator ought to be worth a thousand bucks!

randywrite
09-21-2010, 01:01 AM
P.S. Back to the thread: If a picture's worth a thousand words, then these Polaroids I've got of my state senator ought to be worth a thousand bucks!

I'd bet a thousand bucks, your senator pics, are worth a thousand bucks Maryn! :evil

Silver King
09-21-2010, 04:35 AM
If a picture is worth a thousand words, I must be a lousy writer.

Fifty words or less is all we should need to create a more indelible image in the reader's mind than just about any photograph ever taken of any subject.

randywrite
09-21-2010, 04:47 AM
If a picture is worth a thousand words, I must be a lousy writer.

Fifty words or less is all we should need to create a more indelible image in the reader's mind than just about any photograph ever taken of any subject.

Silver King you're hard core! :):tongue

robeiae
09-21-2010, 04:51 AM
If a picture's worth a thousand words, then a pixel is worth .00000001 cents.

Cliff Face
09-21-2010, 04:55 AM
Damn, pixels are cheap nowadays. When I was a kid, they used to cost $5 for 3 pixels, and you could only get them in black or white.

CACTUSWENDY
09-21-2010, 05:46 AM
Ol' Fashion Gal

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/customavatars/avatar2660_127.gif (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=2660)

benbradley
09-21-2010, 06:08 AM
Speaking of Polaroids, did you know that you simply cannot get film for them now? I live in Kodakland, where the best photography stores can make you specialized film, but you probably can't afford it. The line is that it's cheaper to buy a digital camera and a computer to view on and print from than to have self-developing film packets made.

Maryn, who learned this doing research for a novel
Yes, I recall that from the news, Polaroid stopped production of the film in 2008, but then I heard about something "impossible" ...
http://www.the-impossible-project.com/projects/about

Ironically, the Polaroid company itself is making new "Instant Cameras" but they use - you guessed it - digital technology instead of film:
http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/274911/polaroid-instant-photography-back

When the SX-70 came out (circa 1972) I DREAMED of having one. It wasn't that I was big into photography, I just thought the technology was the neatest thing at the time - and it was, sort of.

Now I have about four of them, including the Sonar model, with an ultrasonic transducer Polaroid designed specifically for the autofocus feature of that model camera, but which found uses elsewhere as well. I actually bought some film for one of them and took some pics - they're horrible, perhaps partly because of the original technology, partly because the camera was old and the film was past its expiration date.

Hope none of this info affects your novel...

randywrite
09-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Bump : )

Devil Ledbetter
09-21-2010, 10:34 PM
If a picture's worth a thousand words, then why can't I paint you?

randywrite
09-22-2010, 03:13 AM
If a picture's worth a thousand words, then why can't I paint you?

Bonus - A most excellent quote! It's Bread I think. :)

Gehanna
09-23-2010, 09:00 AM
If a picture's worth a thousand words, it needs a CSE citation.

Gehanna