Confusing Website

12yroldwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repeat question, I didn't know where to put it, but I was just on an agency's website and they say in their submission guidelines not to submit queries for children's books. However, one of the agents represents YA and MG exclusively. Does that mean I am allowed to query that agent for an MG book or not??

Thank you! :)

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. I believe so, seeing as "exclusively" means solely or excluding other things. :)
Welcome to AW, hope you enjoy your time here.
Here are some sites to help you along:
AW Roundtable
Subforum: Publishing

Good luck.

For more help with the forum and getting used to things you can visit Jed's Super Dooper Traditional Irish Pub. If you can think to drink it, we have it. :D

Last edited:

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I would imagine by children's books they are referring to picture books or board books. Books for VERY young kids-under 10 young. Many agencies say this and still rep YA.

There is a big gap between MG, YA, and "Dick and Jane see Spot Go".

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repeat question, I didn't know where to put it, but I was just on an agency's website and they say in their submission guidelines not to submit queries for children's books. However, one of the agents represents YA and MG exclusively. Does that mean I am allowed to query that agent for an MG book or not??

Thank you! :)

MG, yes, children's, no.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Well, just because an agent represents an area doesn't mean they are seeking new clients in that area, her docket may be full.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
If they say not to submit queries for children's books that can mean either of two things.
1) Their list of children's books is full. They're not accepting anything new.
2) You can submit the manuscript without querying first.

Which one is it? No idea. I'd email or call and ask for clarification.

12yroldwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Oops. It seems I've confused that confusing website with another confusing website. I've solved my own problem.