Greek question

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
There's no thread for Greek? Huh...
Anyways, can anybody tell me if it's correct to translate "nana" with "yaya"? In other words, what's the Greek baby word for grandmother?

Thanks.

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
There's no thread for Greek? Huh...
Anyways, can anybody tell me if it's correct to translate "nana" with "yaya"? In other words, what's the Greek baby word for grandmother?

Thanks.

We had a fledgling Greek thread which was actually just another question about the language...

but anyway, it's γιαγιά, pronounced 'yaya' as you've already found. I guess yiayia would be a more accurate transliteration. It's not just a baby term, in fact it's the usual term for all grandmothers and I've also heard it used of old women in general. (disclaimer: I'm not a native speaker!)

whimsical rabbit

Bunned
Registered
Reaction score
We had a fledgling Greek thread which was actually just another question about the language...

but anyway, it's γιαγιά, pronounced 'yaya' as you've already found. I guess yiayia would be a more accurate transliteration. It's not just a baby term, in fact it's the usual term for all grandmothers and I've also heard it used of old women in general. (disclaimer: I'm not a native speaker!)

:Clap: