PDA

View Full Version : Greek question

OneWriter
09-18-2010, 03:08 AM
There's no thread for Greek? Huh...
Anyways, can anybody tell me if it's correct to translate "nana" with "yaya"? In other words, what's the Greek baby word for grandmother?

Thanks.

bertrigby
09-25-2010, 01:14 AM
There's no thread for Greek? Huh...
Anyways, can anybody tell me if it's correct to translate "nana" with "yaya"? In other words, what's the Greek baby word for grandmother?

Thanks.

We had a fledgling Greek thread which was actually just another question about the language...

but anyway, it's γιαγιά, pronounced 'yaya' as you've already found. I guess yiayia would be a more accurate transliteration. It's not just a baby term, in fact it's the usual term for all grandmothers and I've also heard it used of old women in general. (disclaimer: I'm not a native speaker!)

OneWriter
09-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Great, thanks so much!

whimsical rabbit
10-25-2010, 12:11 AM
We had a fledgling Greek thread which was actually just another question about the language...

but anyway, it's γιαγιά, pronounced 'yaya' as you've already found. I guess yiayia would be a more accurate transliteration. It's not just a baby term, in fact it's the usual term for all grandmothers and I've also heard it used of old women in general. (disclaimer: I'm not a native speaker!)

:Clap: