American mercenaries

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a character who is an American and a mercenary. He's wanted for various 'activities' world-wide - but I'm stuck on which US agency would handle this sort of thing. He's not part of any terrorist organization, totally free-lance. I know the CIA and Interpol would probably gather intelligence on people like this, but who would actually be in charge of trying to bring them in? Once I know, I plan on contacting the agency directly for any information they would be willing to give me on the process but I don't want to just shoot off emails willy-nilly.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Has he committed a crime in the US? Does he have illegal weapons, maybe? That would be ATF. Maybe he doesn't pay his taxes, like Al Capone. Just thinking out loud, not sure if that helps.
:Shrug:

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
It all depends on what he's done and where. He's most likely been careful about committing crimes in the U.S., so the FBI won't be interested in him. The CIA doesn't normally enforce laws of other countries, unless the perpetrator is interfering with their operations. It would most likely be the law enforcement apparatus of the countries he's been operating in, that would be chasing him. Interpol doesn't cover all third world countries, but I suppose you could have them cover the one you want.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still working on the details of his activities, trying to focus on what he's doing - but at this point, I'm thinking assassinations (business or political), kidnappings - things that are done for intimidation, and hired by individuals or "legitimate" groups who can't get their hands dirty directly. That isn't set in stone yet, but those are my leanings.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
The US army would hire him. Ten or fifteen percent of the US forces in Iraq are mercenary.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Well, FBI or rangers could potentially be the ones searching for him, depending on what he's wanted for. In my research for my last one, I found that the FBI was the one generally doing the trying to bring the guy in for certain types of cases. Even if he's committed crimes out of the country, if they're things that he's actively being charged with and there are extradition treaties, someone would likely be searching for him.

Unfortunately all this is research I did three years ago, so it's kind of rusty in my brain. :/

ETA: Oh, do you mean like who would he be working for? This is one of those cases where I think we're allowed to take liberties. The CIA has had assassins before, of course, but I think if you come up with a logical, realistic sounding reason you could do just about anything. He could probably even be working for a politician or someone if you wanted him to be.

Ooh, something that could be kind of interesting is to read up about this group and create something similar for your story. Because it's a kind of behind the scenes sort of thing, it could be easier than having an "official" government group calling in assassinations and stuff. They just need connections to a group with lots of power and ambition that's willing to go to extremes, but also offer the higher ups calling for it deniability.

Last edited:

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
It all depends on what he's done and where. He's most likely been careful about committing crimes in the U.S., so the FBI won't be interested in him. The CIA doesn't normally enforce laws of other countries, unless the perpetrator is interfering with their operations. It would most likely be the law enforcement apparatus of the countries he's been operating in, that would be chasing him. Interpol doesn't cover all third world countries, but I suppose you could have them cover the one you want.

Yes, he would definitely be keeping his hands clean within the US, although some of his targets might be US citizens abroad. I'm thinking that might make it too 'easy' to have him arrested, though. I want it to be a little more difficult. And considering his clientele, he doesn't exactly advertise his identity. As I noted above, I'm still trying to focus on his operations.

If foreign countries wanted to catch him while he's in the US, any idea which agency would they most likely work with?

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, FBI or rangers could potentially be the ones searching for him, depending on what he's wanted for. In my research for my last one, I found that the FBI was the one generally doing the trying to bring the guy in for certain types of cases. Even if he's committed crimes out of the country, if they're things that he's actively being charged with and there are extradition treaties, someone would likely be searching for him.

When you say 'rangers', you mean Army Rangers?

I don't believe he's actually been charged with anything - he's suspected, believed and 'almost sure to be' type thing, but no formal charges.

Ooh, something that could be kind of interesting is to read up about this group and create something similar for your story. Because it's a kind of behind the scenes sort of thing, it could be easier than having an "official" government group calling in assassinations and stuff. They just need connections to a group with lots of power and ambition that's willing to go to extremes, but also offer the higher ups calling for it deniability.

That's a great link - esp because his background includes just such a group, which greatly influences how he came to be where he is at the point of the story.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
He hates the Army ;) He's basically the Lone Wolf type, hiring people he needs, rather than taking orders from others.

Then who hires him? He has to be working for someone. But just being a mercenary, that's no big deal.

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Take a look at "Soldier of Fortune" magazine. It isn't as good as it used to be, but there are still pieces of information about who is hiring, etc.

As long as he didn't break any U.S. laws, except being a mercenary, then no U.S. agency would be looking for him. Interpol would be looking only if he was wanted in a member country.

Technically, the U.S. DoJ would be the ones to look for him, but they would hand it off to the FBI. Considering how many mercenaries are being paid by the U.S. I would be surprised if the DoJ would doanything.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Then who hires him? He has to be working for someone. But just being a mercenary, that's no big deal.

He would be hired, for example, by extremists in government who need another political figure disposed of for whatever reason. Or a corporation that needs to get certain approvals and is being blocked by an important person. So anyone that needs dirty work done but can't be connected with it at all (versus terrorists who clamor for credit).

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Take a look at "Soldier of Fortune" magazine. It isn't as good as it used to be, but there are still pieces of information about who is hiring, etc.

As long as he didn't break any U.S. laws, except being a mercenary, then no U.S. agency would be looking for him. Interpol would be looking only if he was wanted in a member country.

Technically, the U.S. DoJ would be the ones to look for him, but they would hand it off to the FBI. Considering how many mercenaries are being paid by the U.S. I would be surprised if the DoJ would doanything.

I'll take a look at SoF - thanks for the reminder.

One possible scenario I've been looking at is having a 'rogue agent' using his agency access to go after the mercenary - frustrated that his agency isn't doing 'enough'. So it would work out nicely if that would 'follow through' from reality.

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
One possible scenario I've been looking at is having a 'rogue agent' using his agency access to go after the mercenary - frustrated that his agency isn't doing 'enough'. So it would work out nicely if that would 'follow through' from reality.

That would make it believable, but I think that the DIA and CIA are cooperating with the military on mercenaries. The State Department probably has some people who are furious about the use of mercenaries, but they don't have anything like a police force. I am sue that there are some people in the Defense Department who find the use of mercenaries infuriating for a variety of reasons. If you can find a plausible candidate, then it could work.

Stanmiller

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a character who is an American and a mercenary. He's wanted for various 'activities' world-wide - but I'm stuck on which US agency would handle this sort of thing. He's not part of any terrorist organization, totally free-lance. I know the CIA and Interpol would probably gather intelligence on people like this, but who would actually be in charge of trying to bring them in? Once I know, I plan on contacting the agency directly for any information they would be willing to give me on the process but I don't want to just shoot off emails willy-nilly.

I had an awesome, tightly written, incredibly well-researched reply ready to send then my browser crashed. I lost it and can't remember half of it now.

Anyway, the current terms in use are PMCs (Private Military Companies) and their employees, known as contractors. Have your guy set up his own PMC, then he can do pretty much anything he wants, as long as he funnels funds from his illegal activities through offshore shelf companies and uses offshore banks to move his money around. So you get to do a lot in interesting internet research to go with your thriller.

--Stan

Stanmiller

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
but who would actually be in charge of trying to bring them in? Once I know,

The US army would hire him. Ten or fifteen percent of the US forces in Iraq are mercenary.

Julie, the Department of Defense hires Private Military Companies, not the army.

As to who would investigate illegal activity by a PMC, the answer would be nobody, unless the government of the country that hired the PMC in the first place was dissatisfied with the job they did suppressing the rebellion or whatever. And if the PMC was successful, no questions will be asked about any diamonds or gold that may have disappeared. And rebels, well by definition they are expendable.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
That would make it believable, but I think that the DIA and CIA are cooperating with the military on mercenaries. The State Department probably has some people who are furious about the use of mercenaries, but they don't have anything like a police force. I am sue that there are some people in the Defense Department who find the use of mercenaries infuriating for a variety of reasons. If you can find a plausible candidate, then it could work.

Defense Department might actually work better - this person could have access to a lot of different information and people and take advantage of both. Gives me more flexibility for his position, as well. :D

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Anyway, the current terms in use are PMCs (Private Military Companies) and their employees, known as contractors. Have your guy set up his own PMC, then he can do pretty much anything he wants, as long as he funnels funds from his illegal activities through offshore shelf companies and uses offshore banks to move his money around. So you get to do a lot in interesting internet research to go with your thriller.

Hmm, not sure I want him to be too 'corporate' himself - but he could certainly use some of the same procedures as PMCs. Will definitely check that out.

As to who would investigate illegal activity by a PMC, the answer would be nobody, unless the government of the country that hired the PMC in the first place was dissatisfied with the job they did suppressing the rebellion or whatever. And if the PMC was successful, no questions will be asked about any diamonds or gold that may have disappeared. And rebels, well by definition they are expendable.

I suppose, in the case of my guy, it could be a matter of two different political factions duking it out - one hiring him and the other trying to get the US to help bring him down.

Wow. So many possibilities and complications! Talk about exciting :evil

Stanmiller

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, not sure I want him to be too 'corporate' himself - but he could certainly use some of the same procedures as PMCs. Will definitely check that out.

I suppose, in the case of my guy, it could be a matter of two different political factions duking it out - one hiring him and the other trying to get the US to help bring him down.

Wow. So many possibilities and complications! Talk about exciting :evil

Sounds like you have the bare bones of a plot. Let us know how it works out.

-Stan