PDA

View Full Version : Beta / critter wanted for military stuff

WEM
09-17-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm writing a sci-fi novel, which I'm fine with, but one of my characters has a military / special-ops type of background. I suppose it's Andy McNabb sort of territory. In the novel they are in a deep under-cover type of operation in an Arabian Gulf / desert environment.

I have no experience at all of this style of writing, neither do I tend to read it. But I need this section for the background, to make the character believeable and to make the novel work.

Can someone beta / crtique that section for me to make sure it reads right, isn't clunky or naive and is believeable. The last thing I want is for it to sound like a 'Boys Own' adventure!

The section is about 2,500 words long.

Many thanks,

Sargentodiaz
09-17-2010, 09:58 PM
I strongly recommend that you read some of the immensely popular writers of military fiction. Dale Brown, Largent and Stephen Coonts among others.

Fist and foremost, you better study about the military. There are lots of websites for that.

From a Master Sergeant, US Army - Retired

FOTSGreg
09-19-2010, 02:43 AM
I have a couple of contacts who are active duty US military. One of them's a beta reader for a novel of mine that has a lot of military stuff in it and the other's a volunteer contact related to a fellow AWer who's ex-or current Special Forces. My beta's also a fellow AWer. If you want to PM me, I can screen the work and ask my contacts if they'd be willing to take a look at it.

WEM
09-19-2010, 07:08 PM
I have a couple of contacts who are active duty US military. One of them's a beta reader for a novel of mine that has a lot of military stuff in it and the other's a volunteer contact related to a fellow AWer who's ex-or current Special Forces. My beta's also a fellow AWer. If you want to PM me, I can screen the work and ask my contacts if they'd be willing to take a look at it.

Thanks FOTSGreg, I'll get that prepared and PM'd to you.

Cheers,