Scenario, what would you do?

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
Alright, so here's the situation. My MC, most of her apartment and pieces of the neighbors apartment were teleported to generic fantasy land. You're out in the middle of a forest, with nothing but whats in the rubble of your apartment.

Just for sake of the argument, you can be pretty damned sure no one is coming to look for you there. So here's the questions.

What kinds of things from your apartment do you take with you, assuming you take only what you can carry? What type of items do you have in your apartment that would aid in survival right now?

How do you determine where you are, using just what you had on hand (GPS dosesn't work) and which way to head to find any civilization?

And for the squick question What would you do if part of your neighbors came with their apartment? What if instead it was part of the dog? All of the dog and he's unhurt?

Any replies are greatly appreciated. I figure I'm not quite normal in what I keep on hand for disasters so I want to see what others have, and how they would behave.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Ohh nice question

What kinds of things from your apartment do you take with you, assuming you take only what you can carry? What type of items do you have in your apartment that would aid in survival right now?

First things first. Did the beer fridge make it? :D

Okay the Bat'leth is coming, along with the scramasax. Even if it's just to make myself look a bit scarier. Salt (for preserving food). Lighter/matches. Whatever food I can carry ( plus tin opener if required :D) Appropriate clothes (ie waterproofs if it's a rainy sort of place, lighter if I'm in a desert. In which case, sun block too) Bottles for water.

How do you determine where you are, using just what you had on hand (GPS dosesn't work) and which way to head to find any civilization?
Follow the water. Most places will be built near a water supply. Provided you aren't in a desert, find a stream/river. If you follow it long enough, you should find a settlement (plus you'll have water to hand)

As for the squick. Depends if they're dead or not. If they are, I'd bury them. If not, bring them with me. Unless they're complete bastards obviously.

OttR

Amphibious Carnivore
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, if this ever happens to me, I'm set. :) Because I have a good backpack, backpacking tent, sleeping bag, and some other outdoor gear in my house. And a mountain bike! So those things are obvious.

But that stuff aside, here's what I'd take:

The bandages, antibiotic cream, ibuprofen, aspirin, insect repellent, and sunscreen from the medicine cabinet. And the toothbrush and toothpaste, though that will run out far too quickly. Oh, and the fingernail clippers and a bar of soap, too. I'm not sure I want to try trimming my nails with a knife and I'll save the soap for special occasions. :)

The hatchet and lighters the from the fireplace, an LED flashlight (grab lots of spare batteries for it from all the now useless remote controls), my multi-tool, a pocketknife, duct tape, super glue, needles, thread, and a ball of string.

My boots, leather gloves, winter gloves, hooded jacket, and other clothes (unfortunately, I don't have a good set of wool clothing), and a lot of socks.

My best blanket.

A long piece of electrical cord because I think it would come in handy.

From the kitchen, I'd get a small pot, oatmeal, rice, beans, noodles, salt, pepper, the cans of tuna, some of the veggies, a few bottled waters (the bottles will be useful later) and knife with a blade suitable for making a spear.

I have large travel bag, too, so even without the backpack, I could fit pretty much all this stuff in it.

My cat, if she was in the house when it transported. Oh this is sad. I'd have to try to take her, of course, but I'm afraid she is far too spoiled to live in the wild and would probably die. :(

As for what I would do...

A whole different world? Is that readily apparent? Is the sun different? The night sky? Are the plants and animals odd? I think if I realized it was a completely other world, there would be no way to tell where civilization was or even if I wanted to go there. No guarantee the locals are friendly or even human.

Ideally, there is water and food near where my house got transported to. I would just stay there in my house if so. But if not...

I would find a source of clean water first, make a spear, then find some food. If the weather was agreeable, that is. If not I would head toward warmer climes. I think after some observation, I could puzzle out if the planet had a tilt and in which direction the equator lies. (In fantasy stories, for some reason, the world always spins the same way ours does. I see no reason for that to hold true on any random planet.)

Then I would cautiously wait and prepare for the inevitable contact with the natives. Or, if I saw signs of them, I would spy on them for a long time first until I got a good feel for what they were like as a people.

But if this really happened, I would probably run into a giant monster on the first day, wish I had had a firearm in the house, and die.

Last edited:

Rebekkamaria

Pixie with dust, beware
Registered
Reaction score
I'd take this with me.

Then: clothes, something to drink, good shoes, some kind of a weapon, food, a compass (hoping it would work) etc.

And the rest of the people... depends if they are alive. I think some of us should stay and a few should go - unless the building is collapsing and we can't use it. But it's better to have a place to stay. I would use it as a base as we gather information about our surroundings.

Something like that. :) And we actually own that book. :)

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
A good knife, gun (if I had one), hiking boots, lighter and/or matches, bottle water, food, a pot, my pets (though they would be a hinder, not a help)

A jacket, extra clothes, backpack or totebag, maybe a candle, definitely a flashlight-though I can never find one when I'm looking for it.

No need to worry about the natives, because I forgot my make-up, and that's enough to scare anyone away.:D

If anyone else survived, I would talk everyone into getting a shelter built (the apartments are rubble, right?), find water, and investigate the new world the next day.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be packing a bag - some food, painkillers, socks, a sweater, the kitchen knives, sissors, wetwipes

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I'd eat the dog.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Here's what I'd take:
-- All of my firearms and extra ammo (have a great 'backpack' to carry them all in, plus a myriad of holsters, etc.
-- a few knives
-- pepper spray
-- matches/lighter
-- my entire stash of protein/meal replacement bars
-- travel wet wipes
-- water purifier if I had any! ;)
-- I'd check my compass to see if the damn thing was working in this fantasy land...hopefully this place only has one sun or moon or things would get confusing and fast!
-- canteen/drinking water
-- Not sure of weather in this place but a jacket/change of clothing (even better if you just tie a sweatshirt around your waist so don't have to carry)
-- one-person tent/rain gear
-- my two dogs
-- ETA: My tactical baton... perfect collapsible weapon, and some ROPE! ;)

I'd reluctantly leave my wine... :(

As for the other survivors, I'd take the ones who appeared intelligent (or to have survival/military training) with me. :) I'd encourage the rest to stand guard at the apartments (just in case). Like IdiotsRUs said, I'd hope the general rule of water=survival was same in this world and follow the water and hope to find civilization (which I'd approach very, very cautiously unless the natives looked like Frodo, Legolas or Aragorn). If anyone was roasting what looked like a human over a pit, I'm so out of there. It'd be great if they were sitting around reading and eating salad. :)

Last edited:

RainyDayNinja

Registered
Reaction score
If there were bits of people and animals lying around, I'd probably wrap them all up in a blanket or shower curtain, and drag them at least a quarter-mile away. No sense in attracting the wrong kinds of animals. Later if I got some down time, after I'd secured water and food for immediate survival, I'd give them a proper burial if possible.

I don't have a bug-out bag, or anything of that type. But I'd definitely bring my pocket knife, multi-tool, lighter/matches, gun if I have it, anything to carry water in (although I imagine I'm not hooked up to the water main at this point, and would be down to bottled drinks, which sucks because I don't actually have any), snacks, duct tape, a notebook and pen for observations, and the shiniest coins I can find (in case I need to trade with some uncivilized types). I'd also search the trees for the stoutest branch I could get, to serve as a walking stick and simple weapon against animals.

And I wouldn't immediately take all my stuff and trek out into the wilderness to find civilization, either. I'd make a few forays, just to see what was in the immediate vicinity, and come back to the apartment at night. Once I had a good idea of what there was in each direction, I'd pick the one that seemed the most promising (a river, road, or less dangerous terrain).

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who responded. It's giving me a pretty good idea of what my character will do when she gets out.

First things first. Did the beer fridge make it? :D
Some of it. :D Enough for her to try and wash the bad dream away to no effect.

Okay the Bat'leth

[/QUOTE]This trekie is very disappointed in himself. I had to google that.
#
As for the squick. Depends if they're dead or not. If they are, I'd bury them. If not, bring them with me. Unless they're complete bastards obviously.

They're not dead so much as half there. The mystical mcguffin that did the movin just grabbed a large bubble. anything inside came along, anything that wasn't stayed.

And I wouldn't immediately take all my stuff and trek out into the wilderness to find civilization, either. I'd make a few forays, just to see what was in the immediate vicinity, and come back to the apartment at night. Once I had a good idea of what there was in each direction, I'd pick the one that seemed the most promising (a river, road, or less dangerous terrain).

Ah, that's a good idea. I personally would have left pretty quick. And knowing my luck would have ended up at the edge of some two hundred foot cliff and trying to figure out how to get down.

Last edited:

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Any meat in the freezer, I'd start a fire and smoke it. Make jerky.

Yeah, follow the water -- downstream. Don't go higher, go lower.

A broomstick makes for a good walking stick, staff, and can be made into a good spear. As many kitchen knives as I could reasonably carry. Fire starting materials in case I run out of matches/butane. Light a candle and dip your matches into the wax to seal them. It makes them waterproof. If I don't know I'm in a fantasy land, I'd take a small mirror too which can be used for signaling aircraft and distant people. Binoculars if you have them.

Lots of socks. Socks will make or break you on long walks. Change them often.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
:e2smack:

I knew I was forgetting something, Duct tape: I have tie-dye colored :D

I was reading RainyDayNinja's reply, and saw it in the list.:)

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Backpack, sewing kit, duct tape, multi-tool, SIGG bottle full of water (I wouldn't bother to carry extra water, because frankly if I can't live on the water supply in streams and stuff I'm screwed after a few days.), Cotton yarn/string, fleece blanket (dries quickly and packs light), few pairs of socks and underwear, bar of soap, medium pot, couple of potatoes, matches/lighter, few canned goods, safety pins (good fishing hooks, which I don't have), salt, cooking oil (good for lots of other things)

After that the bag is packed. I have a leash for my cat, so he'd come too.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
My husband says he would just pack all the chocolate, since in a weird fantasy world it would be a hot commodity and he could trade for goods.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Huh, I would start by freaking out a bit and puking my guts out after seeing the half there people. (There wouldn't be that many animals unless the 'bubble' was really big. The only animals that I know of that are in my building are across the hall on a different floor. Chances are they'd probably sense the 'bubble' and dash to the furthest point from it and not get caught up in it.)

Then I guess I would go for the food, a change of clothing especially underwear and socks, coat/gloves/boots, a wooden bowl/plate/utensils, my mug on a rope, at least one cast iron pot, the matches, one or two afgans, my crocheting needles and scissors, and a couple of how-to books provided they don't add too much weight. Also look for the wind-up radio since that also can be used as a flashlight. Also have a small glass magnifier that I can slip in my pocket and check if it works on lighting a fire. Might also take the darning molds for fixing my socks. Huh. I think I have to check around my apartment to see what else I have that would be useful. Oh, and a knife (both folding and one weapon type) and the mace from the closet to use as a walking stick.

Anything else that I can't carry, I would see if I couldn't stash somewhere under some rocks, in a cairn. I would also make sure I got some water but I'm not sure I'd be that coherent immediately. lol

Good thing is I remember how to make a survival shelter, provide I'm in the woods.

frolzagain

Registered
Reaction score
Matches, a blanket, whatever food i could carry and bottledd water, a knife of some sort and my pets. I would probably grab some random stuff just in case like a book or utensils. oh and any gold handy in case i can trade it.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score

QFT.

Also, as far as survival manuals go, the US Army Survival manual is available on Amazon.

Finally, I'd realize that all of this stuff, from the spare axe to the spare shotgun to the extra water bottle, would start to get heavier as the day wore on. If I overpacked, I'd end up leaving a trail of trade goods behind me that would attract predators - of the two-legged kind. And ultimately, either I find other human beings of goodwill, or I die.

So I would try to either pack lightly, or cache some things along the way in holes or caves.
Say...a gun plus 25 rounds. (I fire a handgun, but a shotgun would probably be a more useful weapon.)
A Swiss Army Knife (a real one!) or a good multitool.
Vitamins.
Water purifier tablets (if I have them).
Thermal blanket and poncho. (They come in 3" long plastic packets.)
Hand axe.
Survival manual.
Spare glasses.
Change of skivvies and sox.
Matches (flint and tinder, if I can find them).
Pot.
First aid kit. (A good one).
Hand sanitizer.
Toilet paper.
Trail bars.
Magnifying glass (aka burning glass).
Compass.
Soap.

That should all fit into one knapsack (with the exception of the shotgun) and won't be too heavy.

You might also want to read good ol' Bob Heinlein's YA "Tunnel in the Sky," that kind of touched on this question...

Last edited:

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score

First aid supplies, food, can-opener, knives, lighters, warm clothing, plastic trash bags (waterproof!), spare socks and shoes.

For trade: jewelry and small tools, fabric, paper.

I would cache anything likely to be useful or tradeable to come back to.

How do you determine where you are, using just what you had on hand and which way to head to find any civilization? Head downhill. People will need to be near water and that's where you find it. Once you find water, toss a stick into the water and go the direction the stick indicates.

If you reach a path, look for footprints and follow them, or keep heading downstream and downhill. When you reach an intersection, take the wider of the paths or roads.

Mark the intersections with rocks so you know which way you came from. Stop frequently and look back so you remember where you came from.

What would you do if part of your neighbors came with their apartment? Some intact neighbors? or bits? if they were alive, I would suggest working together. If they were dead, I'd scavenge what I could from them and their apartment

What if instead it was part of the dog?
Eww!

All of the dog and he's unhurt?
Depends on the dog ... is it of a disposition to be useful, and can it pack some supplies? If not, it's going to die quickly and reasonably painlessly at my hands.

Aerial

There is no spoon.
Registered
Reaction score
And since your MC is female, she'd need to pack her monthly supplies...

Aerial

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
And since your MC is female, she'd need to pack her monthly supplies...

Aerial

Hehe. Hadn't thought of that one. Can I just say toiletries?

I guess while I've got everyone doing it.

I'd load up into my back pack;
Sandals
My shorts
200' rope.
box of 380 acp
50 rounds of 7.62x54R
Shower curtain or a 10x10 tarp.
as much food as I can carry after the next part.
Water filter pump
Camp tp
Camp pots

On my person I'd have;
Ruger LCP (tiny, but hell its light and I can use it)
Mosin Nagant (heavy, bolt action and will put a big hole in anything I point it at)
Swiss Army Knife
Epipen
Canteen
Magnesium brick

My character right now has;
Her dads M14 and Colt 1911 and bayonet (was he not supposed to bring those home?)
Shower curtain (No, I'm not joking. I've used those a lot for survival classes and scout camp; shelter, blanket, tarp.)
too many cloths
too much food
a water bottle, but no filter (she doesn't know what Giardia is. And for that she'll pay.)
Box of kitchen matches in a ziplock bag.
About 10lbs of jewlery. To make a nice long trail back to the rubble.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com

I had to respond to this, because I don't keep most of the kind of stuff around everyone else does. I could also guarantee, Murphy's Law, that none of what was transported would be of use! But if it was there, food, matches, container for water, a pot, flashlight, a fork, blanket, shower curtain. Whatever extra clothes I could find (and again, I'm thinking there isn't going to be much available). I'd also be very mindful of what I could realistically carry. I was in the army, and I'll tell you, things get awfully heavy very quickly, and these supplies are not going to be as well balanced as a ruck sack.

I'm directionally dysfunctional. I get lost with a map. I'd have to rely on visual cues like a city, a stream, or a path that's been clearly used.

Anaximander

Registered
Reaction score
In any survival situation, the first thing I'd go for is a knife. Always. If you have a knife and a little know-how, you can make or acquire everything else you'll need to stay alive and even comfortable in most environments. So the knife goes on the belt, in the belt sheath that has the care and sharpening kit in a small pocket. Now, I'm a keen hiker, so I'd grab my hiking kit:
- rucksack
- first aid kit: in this context there are two categories, stuff that makes you comfortable and stuff that keeps you alive. Your average bathroom-cupboard first aid kit is mostly the former, but for survival that's of limited worth.
- food: low mass and volume for high energy, so pasta/rice stir-in stuff is great
- sleeping bag and tent
- change of clothes: not jeans; denim is heavy and chafes, especially when wet, and it dries slowly. Thinner shirts (not too thin) are better than huge jumpers because you can layer up; the thicker stuff is for more extreme cold.
- means of lighting fires
- wind-up torch: can't buy batteries here
- extra mess tin, flask, etc: to carry any food I find.
- string and rope: because you never know. Maybe a tarp or plastic sheet too; same reason. In fact there's a few items that might be useful - signalling mirror/whistle is another that comes to mind.

As for navigation, I'd take paper to record where I'd been, seeing as my maps would be useless. My compass might help, assuming that this fantasy world has magnetic poles. Otherwise, I'd rely on my knowledge of orienteering (direction-finding). Without knowledge of the stars of that world or how long a day Is there, the easiest method is the shadow-trace method. Put a stick upright in the ground and mark the shadow's tip, then use string to trace an arc at that distance. As the sun moves round and the shadow length changes it'll touch that arc twice in the day - once when you started, and again the same number of hours the other side of midday. A line between those two points is a north-south line.

slvolkhardt

Registered
Reaction score
Alright, so here's the situation. My MC, most of her apartment and pieces of the neighbors apartment were teleported to generic fantasy land. You're out in the middle of a forest, with nothing but whats in the rubble of your apartment.

Just for sake of the argument, you can be pretty damned sure no one is coming to look for you there. So here's the questions.

Well, I have a couple re-usable grocery bags that I could pack with stuff, but no actual backpack. I'd pack clothing and shoes - at least one spare pair of sturdy shoes. At least one knife, scissors, needle and thread. Flashlight. Matches. First aid supplies (bandages, rubbing alcohol, tweezers - I'd want to stay basic and versatile). If I had any old antibiotics around, I'd take them. Antihistamines (Benadryl or prescription equivalent). Painkillers (this seems like a luxury but IMO in this situation it's not - if you don't have survival training and you're not accustomed to continuing to function while in pain, it's better to pop a pill and stay on top of your game than try to be a tough guy/gal, in this situation. No narcotics, though - sort of defeats the purpose - unless you're thinking of them as a worst-case-scenario, down-the-whole-bottle back-up plan).

If I had a gun that'd definitely be coming along, though at present I don't - barring that I'd look for something else that could be fashioned into a projectile weapon (knife is well and good, but if you're in close enough to use it with some sort of predator, and there's no hospital around to patch you up after, you're pretty much done for anyway). I mean, rubber-band sling-shot is on the table, here, as are the chains from the hanging potted plant in front of my window - improvise.

The heavy iron post from my floor lamp is also totally coming with me - walking stick / staff / spear. In absence of floor lamp, a curtain rod is essentially the same thing. In absence of floor lamp or solid curtain rod, up-end the mattress and take apart your bed frame - take one of the sides. Not a good spear, given the odd-shaped ends, but still a good staff / walking stick.

Oh, and the shower curtain liner - tarp to camp under! And the laces out of all the shoes I'm not taking, and any other form of rope I might have handy.

Some manner of metal dish / pan - something to cook and boil water in, but nothing too big/heavy.

Trowel or, if one does not own such, largest and sturdiest spoon available - you'll need to be able to dig yourself a latrine periodically.

I'd bring some sort of food - light, non-perishable items - but how much would depend a great deal on the time of year, and also my (your character's) familiarity with edible plants, hunting, etc. For myself, if it were summer, I wouldn't be all that worried. Winter, I'd camp where I landed and make day-trips out to scout the area before I even thought of taking off with only the food I could carry.

If able without too much risk, climb a tree - see if you can <i>see</i> evidence of civilization. If that's not possible or the view isn't good, walk down-hill. It's easier, for one thing, and it's more likely to lead you to some manner of creek or river. If you find water, follow it.

If the land's more or less flat, or up-and-down hilly, pick a direction and stick to it - just make sure to watch the shadows and such to know that you're actually walking a straight line, and not in circles.

. . . and keep an eye out for evidence of large predators as you're going.

And for the squick question What would you do if part of your neighbors came with their apartment? What if instead it was part of the dog? All of the dog and he's unhurt?
If the dog is alive and friendly, I'd keep the dog with me - two is better than one, and I'm not that worried about another mouth to feed - I'm more likely to be begging for his seconds than he is for mine, as he's probably a better hunter than me.

If there's pieces of bodies laying around . . if I'm sticking around, I'd bury them (away from the wreckage / my camp site, and as deeply as possible). If I'm leaving, I probably leave them (perhaps cover them with a blanket or something, just to show respect). If I arrive in the middle of a blizzard and there's nothing but forest far as the eye can see and etc, doom, etc., there's the outside possibility I'd think of them as food . . . but things would have to be pretty bad.

Any replies are greatly appreciated. I figure I'm not quite normal in what I keep on hand for disasters so I want to see what others have, and how they would behave.
For reference, I'm a 30-something female, work in a veterinary hospital, no military/survivalist background though I do have family members who were in the military, no real experience camping, never been hunting, but do like hiking, watching nature programs, etc. Also, horror movie fan - hence all the ideas on impromptu weaponry. :)