Can I sell this book?

VeggieChick

Registered
Reaction score
I've been playing with the idea of putting together a children's book that consists of Native American stories, poems, prayers, etc. for the Earth. Can I even do that? Most of the book would consist of things I didn't write.

This is something dear to my heart for a couple of reasons, and I would love to do a book about it. However, I'm concerned that it may not be something that appeals to editors/agents. This would require a lot of research, since I would have to contact NA organizations to get the texts and the permission to use them. I don't want to jump into something that requires so much work if I won't be able to find a home for it afterward.

Opinions?

Thanks.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
VeggieChick said:
I've been playing with the idea of putting together a children's book that consists of Native American stories, poems, prayers, etc. for the Earth. Can I even do that? Most of the book would consist of things I didn't write.

This is something dear to my heart for a couple of reasons, and I would love to do a book about it. However, I'm concerned that it may not be something that appeals to editors/agents. This would require a lot of research, since I would have to contact NA organizations to get the texts and the permission to use them. I don't want to jump into something that requires so much work if I won't be able to find a home for it afterward.

Opinions?

Thanks.

There is a series already out there called Keepers of the Earth, which focuses on stories and poems centered around various themes. I think books like this might appeal more to an education market rather than a trade one--most public elementary schools have a N.A. requirement in their social studies curricula.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
This sort of thing may well find a home. I'd try to sell it from, say, 10% of the projected book, don't finish it before you have sold it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Book

When much of a book is made up from copyrighted texts owned by others, this may well mean it falls under the category of an anthology. You would be the editor, rather than writer. In an anthology, the copyright holders usually split the royalties, based on how much material each has in the book.

sruble

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sruble.com
Another option would be to look at Writer's Market and Children's Writers and Illustrators Market. Pick out the publishers that do anthologies, find out more about the type of anthologies they do, and then send a query and / or proposal to the publishers that you think might like your project.

I sounds like an interesting project - Good Luck!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I sell this?

SRUBLE- is right on the money. I saw alot of publishers who want that sort of stuff. May I add- go to your local library and punch in some kind of key words that will bring up your sort of book(s). Go get the books and see who the publishers are. They will usually have a web site or an address. Then, get on the net and do some research-sometimes the info has changes a bit. Good luck.

All My Best,
writerterri