PDA

View Full Version : Ballet/Dance School

Witch_turtle
09-17-2010, 04:30 AM
I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me out. I'm wondering about the process of entering into either a prestigous dance school or even a production company. What kind of application/audition process might a young woman have to go through in order to be accepted or hired? How many auditions would she have to do, and what person or group of people would be in charge of deciding whether or not she's accepted? What kind of time frame could be expected between each audition and ultimate acceptance, and how much time might be spent rehearsing for a ballet production?

Also, of course schools and individual theatres often put on plays, but are there any more "independent" type facilities that might put on ballet productions as well? Or is something like that more typical of professional companies and dance schools?

Thanks in advance for any advice/info you can offer!

pdr
09-17-2010, 08:59 AM
a reputable ballet school holds auditions for children. You say, young woman, are you talking about an already trained dancer? What age is the person?

If she is already trained and applying to join a company she can expect a full day's auditions. Usually this consists of taking the regular company's dance classes, then special requests. She might have to have a solo piece to perform or show she can follow the dance master/mistress in learning something new to dance. Usually the ballet company's director(s), the dance master/mistress and choreographers, sometimes members of the board attend the auditions.

It is a very demanding and difficult process. In the last three years there have been twenty applicants per year for the Royal NZ Ballet corps de ballet. The auditions took two days. This year two people succeeded. Last year no one did. The year before one person did. And some determined dancers know they will have to audition several times before being accepted.

SilverBirch
09-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Since the professional dance world is a very prestigious and elite one, as pdr says, I think your answer really depends on where your character is experience-wise, and also locale. I would say your best bet is to read up on the workings on some of the big companies - NYC Ballet and the like. Or if your story isn't set in the US, then read up on the big companies in your country. They should have information about the auditioning process on their websites.

I have a little experience with the dance world myself, and I can't tell you how much it bugs me when movies (Save the Last Dance, I'm looking at you!) get the details completely wrong. Since Hollywood is known for its complete accuracy and all ;)

Good luck!

Witch_turtle
09-19-2010, 01:16 AM
The character is 16, but it's set in a fictional slightly-futuristic city where people's ages have very little to do with anything. It's not set in stone, though...rather it's a small "side" story idea I'm tinkering with for a supporting character. I still need to make sure everything is believable, so I could take her in another direction if it sounds too far fetched. Thanks for the help and suggestions! I never thought of checking actual company websites, I'll do that for sure. :)

pdr
09-21-2010, 06:42 AM
and ballet in particular age matters.

If you 16 year old has trained then she is a little young to enter a company as full member.

Some companies have apprenticeships where a 16 year old could train and dance once or twice a week.

If your lass is untrained then 16 is far too late to begin as the body is usually too 'set' to adapt to turn out and pointe work.