Should i keep my Agent?

rlepp

Registered
Reaction score
Quick Question for you all, I'm new here. I'm a small time writer and illustrator of childrens books and comic books.

I solicited a publisher with my new graphic novel at the same time that I solicited an agent. The agent loved the book and has several publishers interested. He takes a percentage.

Just heard that the publisher I approached also like the book and is offering a contract.

Question:
Is there ever a reason to keep your agent even though they didn't contact the publisher? Are there ever grounds to renegotiate the percentage based on the fact that I made the contact with the publisher who's offering?

The general answer may be "yes the agent can negotiate a better advance", however in comics there are often no advances at all. So what's the gain?

thoughts? thanks for reading!

-rlepp

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Right now, you have a contract with your agent so I'd say you have an obligation to let them know you've been contacted by the publisher.

rlepp

Registered
Reaction score
Nothing is currently signed, and we've talked about this other publisher. He knows I may back out.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Generally, you query either editors or agents--not both at the same time. But as that ship has sailed, ask yourself this question: do I want an agent to help me build my career, or can I do that on my own?

An agent is your career advocate. They can open doors to publishers you may not have access to and help negotiate better deals for you. If you think this graphic novel is a one-time thing for you, maybe you don't need an agent. But if you wish to continue writing/selling graphic novels, you may want to consider keeping this agent relationship.

At this point, it comes down to your personal career goals.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing is currently signed, and we've talked about this other publisher. He knows I may back out.

I'm confused. How does the agent have other publishers interested if he's not actually representing you?

Is he "your agent" or not?

You need to stop and really evaluate where you are and what your agreement is with this agent - because even if you haven't signed anything, you are calling him "your agent" and he has, in some manner, shopped your manuscript.

So, question one is can you walk away from the agent without owing him anything?

If yes, then should you? Well, is the publisher who offered you a contract the best publisher for the book? or would one of the other publishers be better?

If one of the other publishers would be better, then I say stick with the agent and let him do his job.

But if all of the publishers are equal in terms of how they will produce and market the book, and you don't care about having an ongoing relationship with any one of them, then it's a toss up. Do you feel comfortable negotiating the contracts yourself? Dealing with arguments down the road yourself?

For me, I wanted an agent for more than just getting me more money - I wanted an advocate at every stage.

And, fwiw, generally an agent can get enough additional advance to to cover the percentage.

~suki

rlepp

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! These is are all very helpful questions and challenges.

It was a bit off the cuff that the dual solicitation happened, but regardless, I hear the critique. Ideally I would have done one or the other.

All the questions and thoughts here just verify things I'm thinking about and that's what I needed. Thank you everyone and please continue adding your two cents.

Getting the best publisher is my priority, I will be waiting to see who declines and who offers.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
You might want to PM Victoria with the name of your agent or, if you aven't already, ceck im/her out on Publishers Marketplace. Personally, I think an agent is helpful in building a career, but before you involve the agent with this publisher, I would want to make sure the agent is legit.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Agents do more things than just get you a deal. They keep an eye on your royalties, argue on your behalf with the publisher about your cover/publicity/release date, advise you on your career direction, explore foreign rights

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
It's really not appropriate, at least in the mainstream US publishing world, for agents to share writers' work without a contract in place. I would myself be leery of an agent who did that--what other core protocols might they be ignoring?--but I am not familiar enough with the graphic novel field to know if that would be considered equally inappropriate there.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
There's more to contracts than advance sizes. A good agent can make sure you don't sign away any rights you'd be better off keeping.

...but make sure both the agent and publisher are good ones before making any decisions.

rlepp

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! These are all good considerations.