Publishing Plays?

quixote100104

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings :),

My cousin Brandon is an aspiring playwright. He's quite prolific and has had some success putting on his plays locally. He's also pretty good, at least in my opinion, though plays aren't really my thing.

He's at the point now where he is preparing to publish a collection of his work in hopes of getting some in circulation. He's planning on going through Authorhouse, which he used to publish a novel a number of years back. When I mentioned that this might not be his best option, his reply was that it was virtually imposible for a new playwright to get published.

Is that the case? Is self-publishing the norm in this discipline, or are there any good strategies for being formally published/getting an agent, etc? Any suggestions?

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
I believe that you have to- or it's most useful to- have had a professional production of it before you publish.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
yes, to get his plays in circulation, he needs to submit them to theatres/contests/festivals and get them produced. most plays aren't published until they have either had major production and/or won a large award. and it makes sense that publication is not the end goal for plays, which are meant to be produced, not read.

The Dramatists Sourcebook is a good resource, and he should be a member of The Dramatists Guild, if he isn't already.

getting an theatrical literary agent is also next to impossible if you haven't had major exposure. (of course, major exposure is tough w/o having an agent. :evil)