Agent for book or career?

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
Quick general question. Say you've got this great manuscript with a strong multi-cultural theme. And you find an agency that has a history of repping multi-cultural books. It's the perfect match. Good for the agency, good for your book.

But what if your next WIP is scifi? Or horror? And on the agency website they say not to query them with those genres.

Would your potential new agent be able to muster up the enthusiasm for your next book? Would the agency even want to represent another genre?

Perhaps I'm over thinking this, but are there cases where you'd turn down a perfect agent for your book for the sake of a better agent for your future?

**EDIT**
Oops, just saw that http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189145 asks a similar question

Last edited:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quick general question. Say you've got this great manuscript with a strong multi-cultural theme. And you find an agency that has a history of repping multi-cultural books. It's the perfect match. Good for the agency, good for your book.

But what if your next WIP is scifi? Or horror? And on the agency website they say not to query them with those genres.

Would your potential new agent be able to muster up the enthusiasm for your next book? Would the agency even want to represent another genre?

Perhaps I'm over thinking this, but are there cases where you'd turn down a perfect agent for your book for the sake of a better agent for your future?

It's not bad to think long term, and to look at your interests. But unless you've already written those future books, you can't know what you will write next.

Many agents will represent anything of yours that they feel comfortable they can sell, including books that are generally outside there usual areas. But there may be circumstances in which you write something your agent doesn't think they can sell, and they will refuse to shop it (and sometimes for reasons that are good for you, and then they will help you find someone to represent that book they can't represent well) - you will then need to look at your contract and talk to the agent, about your options, about why, about whether you will shop that yourself or find a second agent for that genre, etc. But I think it's hard to look into the future and know what will come.

Now, if you have already written 5 books, and 4 are vastly different from the 5th - ie, 4 fluffy middle grade novels and then 1 dark adult literary novel - well, chances are you will need a second agent - and chances are your agent will refer you to someone for what they do not represent.

But if you usually write contemporary realistic YA and then write a paranormal adult romance, well, that might not be as far a stretch - depends on the book, on the agent, size of the agency, etc.

So, if you know you have an interest in two different markets - it might make sense to focus on agents who represent both markets or who are at a larger agency where other agents in the agency rep the market your target agent doesn't rep.

But if you have an offer from a great agent for the book in hand, and no other books currently at issue, I'm not sure it makes sense to turn down that great agent for possible future books. And you can always change agents later if your career takes off in a different direction. But to stay stagnant now, for hypothetical future books seems silly to me.

And if you have several books done - ie, those 5 hypothetical books above - wisdom generally says to shop the strongest, but you also might want to consider if that one book is a one shot for you, and your heart really lies with the other 4, and whether you should really be looking for the agent who could best rep the kinds of books you intend to continue to write.

~suki

Last edited:

OctoberRain

I triple dog dare you.
Registered
Reaction score
It's certainly something you could discuss if you're offered representation. If you know for a fact you'll be writing a totally different genre down the road, and it's a genre that the agency doesn't normally rep, they might not know where to send your future books. If this is the case, then I agree with Suki -- probably your best bet to look at agencies that rep both markets.

However, if you're not sure what you'll be writing in the future, I'd say go with the perfect agent for the book you've already written.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Keep in mind the old recipe for rabbit stew. It begins, "First, catch a rabbit."

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there! I just wanted to say "hello" from a Baby Center friend and welcome to AW! This is great site. You'll get lots of good advice here.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
You want an agent who is passionate about your work, above all else. Remember, many writers don't stick to one genre--there are ways they make it work. I know my agent only represents Children's. But, if I do know he reps the children's books of writers who have other agents for adult books within the agency. If you write something the agent doesn't do, they'll refer you or decide whether they can rep that too. Don't worry about it though. Long term thinking is great, but don't over-think it too much at this point.

Good luck!