Student suspended for blood shot eyes.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
He showed up to school a little late and went to the office because he was tardy, where he was quickly accused of smoking marijuana, she said.

An assistant principal then called her.

"I think I dropped to my knees at that moment,” Fritz said.
Byron Nelson High School is part of the Northwest School District.
Lesley Weaver, a district spokeswoman, said she could not discuss Robertson’s case because of privacy laws. In general, she said, students are not suspended without “multiple indicators” of drug use.

His mother showed NBCDFW the district’s paperwork detailing the case against him.

An office worker claimed to smell marijuana on him, the documents said. The school nurse reported his eyes were bloodshot, he appeared "jittery," and his blood pressure was elevated. The nurse also noted that his behavior and mental state were “normal.”

The district did not find any marijuana, and nobody claimed to see him smoking.
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-beat/School-Tells-Mom-Bloodshot-Eyes-Equals-Drug-Use-102594164.html

The mother then took him to have a drug test, which showed that he was completely clean. That office worker was either lying or has no clue was pot smell likes. And the other stuff would certainly not be considered evidence. The real kicker of this story though, is that the blood shot eyes came from a lot of crying, over the death of his murdered father.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
The jittery could have been because he was being questioned like a suspect. Same for the elevated blood pressure. His father's murder might have helped that along as well.

Here are a few more questions I'd liked to be answered. Why, if this started because he was tardy, did they end up taking his blood pressure? How long after this incident was the drug test done?

It seems to me that if his behavior and mental state were “normal.” and he was simply late with bloodshot eyes, it was needlessly escalated.

If he smokes, or if he was around someone who does, including his mother, that might also have explained the smell, especially to an untrained nose.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
He could have easily picked up the smell if they truly did smell that from someone else smoking nearby. I feel so sorry for this kid. He should be getting school support and counseling not being lambasted over being tardiness and unfounded suspicions.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
After the assistant principal called her, Fritz said she picked her son up and took him straight to his doctor, who gave him a urine test.

That quoted, in this case, I'd be looking awfully long and hard at that office worker, if I were a principal or vice principal.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, nothing like being guilty until proven innocent. What crap. I know drugs and teenagers are a problem, but geez. You know what they say about assuming...

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. We had an idiot (substitute) teacher like this. Focused on a girl who was "symptomatic" (according to said teacher -- the girl was actually sick) as opposed to the guy directly behind her who reeked of pot smoke and could have easily been nicknamed "Toasted" for all the effort he put into hiding the fact that he habitually came to class high.

Reaction score
A. Why are you going to school if your father was just murdered?
B. Did he tell them? My are red because my father was murdered and I wax crying?

This is weird.

Edited to add.

Okay, read article. The school screwed up.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Damn. I could have gotten suspended a LOT earlier if I went to this school. I never would have had to pull the vice principal's wig off her head in public.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
The initial report was that he was to be suspended for 3 days and required to transfer to a different school. After the truth came out the transfer was rescinded but the suspension and the reason for it are reportedly still on his record. Can anyone spell LAWSUIT!

As an aside, on my first day in 8th grade we had a lovely girl with pink rosy cheeks enrolled with us. I'll call her Sally. Sister Mary Heart O'Stone took one look at Sally and dragged her by the arm to the front of the class where she accused the now sobbing child of wearing rouge. She demanded to know where Sally got it. Frightened and still sobbing Sally's reply was incoherent. Condemned before the fact, it wouldn't have made any difference if Sally had replied like a lawyer. The good sister then accused Sally of stealing. She suggested that poor Sally was on the road to perdition. I couldn't wait to get to the dictionary to look up perdition! BTW the truth of this was revealed later. Sally never got an apology and she didn't go on to Catholic high school
C.

Last edited:

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Citymouse, wow that is fucked up. Did any of the students try to stand up for her? Did her parents complain to the school? This is why I'm glad I never went to public school.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Citymouse, wow that is fucked up. Did any of the students try to stand up for her? Did her parents complain to the school? This is why I'm glad I never went to public school.

Shadow, Did the students stand up for her? This as a Catholic school and suicide is a sin! All the kids from my generation were taught that what ever the nuns did or said was straight from heaven. If you got into trouble at school you could count on a spanking when you got home.
My father always told the story of when he went to see my second grade teacher about a poor mark on my report card. He said he went in with fire in his belly. The nun smiled sweetly and said, "It's YOUR job to teach your children. I'm only here to help you." My father replied meekly, "Yes sister."
When my dad got home I got such a smacking for embarrassing my father in front of a nun. A nun for God's sake! Oh the shame!

We were taught that the four marks of the RCC are that it is One, Holy, Universal and Apostolic. When I stood up in class and observed that while some of our separated brothers may not be Apostolic in succession, they were One with God and therefore should be seen as Holy. I was denounced as a punk and "ripe for communism"! Oh the shame! It all seems so silly now but to one as devout as I, and many other students present it, was emotionally devastating.

C

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Benbradley said:
Welcome to US Government school.

Well...there ARE alternatives...

We were taught that the four marks of the RCC are that it is One, Holy, Universal and Apostolic. When I stood up in class and observed that while some of our separated brothers may not be Apostolic in succession, they were One with God and therefore should be seen as Holy. I was denounced as a punk and "ripe for communism"! Oh the shame! It all seems so silly now but to one as devout as I, and many other students present it, was emotionally devastating.

C

Welcome to Religious School.

Seriously? This doesn't have to turn into an attack on the entire public education system. These people screwed up, big time. Now the kid is back in school and it's off his record--even the days in suspension are listed now as "excused absences" so as to not look bad.

The admin at this school who were directly involved in this terrible mess should be fired. But that doesn't mean that all public schools are suspending kids for bloodshot eyes, or that they're all bad.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not one to yell "lawsuit" but if he were my son, I'd be on the phone with the most savage lawyer I could find.

nicolane

Adorably Unhinged
Registered
Reaction score
I read the article - then decided to take a look at the website of the school.

My findings were amazing!the certifications of the school nurse include this:

DIBREP: Drug Impairment and Behavior Recognition for Education Professionals. Certified July 18, 2006 by The Texas A&M System, Texas Engineering Extension Service and Public Safety and Security.

The e-mail "apology" is also awful.

If I was the mother this would just be the start of my campaign against this school.

But what is worse is that the young man is being put through all of this when all the mother really wanted was for the school to apologise properly as she said

"No condolences, no sympathies, no apologies for the lack of compassion, the way they mishandled him, the false allegations, nothing,”

Will someone please help me with this - because I really don't understand why the principal hasn't immediately launched an investigation into what the staff members thought they were doing, and looking at ways to make sure it isn't repeated - oh and visiting the family to say sorry in a proper manner!

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Will someone please help me with this - because I really don't understand why the principal hasn't immediately launched an investigation into what the staff members thought they were doing, and looking at ways to make sure it isn't repeated - oh and visiting the family to say sorry in a proper manner!

It was pure CYA, so far as I can tell, which is (part of) why I say fire the overzealous bastards.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Visine, it's what people used at my high school.