A new take on communion wafers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The body of Christ. Amen.

Does the Lord require mashed bananas or marmalade? Because I only 'do' marg or sunflower spread.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Well, you're supposed to - aren't you?

You're eating the flest of Christ, and you're drinking the blood of christ.

So, in effect, communion is a combination of ritual cannibalism and ritual god-eating. It is the concept of transubstantiation that changes the practice to being acceptable, in the view of the christians. But symbolically, you are eating the flesh and drinking the blood of christ.

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not particularly religious, but I find the Jesus Toaster to be sacriligious.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Well, you're supposed to - aren't you?

You're eating the flest of Christ, and you're drinking the blood of christ.

So, in effect, communion is a combination of ritual cannibalism and ritual god-eating. It is the concept of transubstantiation that changes the practice to being acceptable, in the view of the christians. But symbolically, you are eating the flesh and drinking the blood of christ.

Uh, not Christians. Catholics. Most other denominations do not believe in transubstantiation.

I think the toaster's pretty funny though. :)

Reaction score
And whomsoever hath faith the size of a toast crumb shall say to a mountain, "Get up, be moved," and it shall be done.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Uh, not Christians. Catholics. Most other denominations do not believe in transubstantiation.

I think the toaster's pretty funny though. :)

Yup. that's right. We like texture in our food.

You know, if someone actually came up with a society based on certain religions in a fantasy novel, they'd be labelled as OTT crazy.

ps, just read article, insanely funny.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score

Which is why the Romans thought of early Christians as barbarians.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I'm not extremely religious, but I am Catholic and I do believe. Personally, I just find it silly. I imagine Jesus would get a chuckle out of it himself, but I could be wrong. I hope I don't hit by lightning for that....

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Which is why the Romans thought of early Christians as barbarians.

Well, the Romans considered themselves civilized, so their opinion doesn't count for much.

Duchessmary

Where I want to be
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Lutheran, and I believe the bread and wine are the flesh and blood. They're not symbols.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
MY toaster does Jerry Garcia, and I didn't have to pay extra.

They might sell more toasters though if they did Heidi Montag. Yes, you can have your toast and eat IT too...

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Sure, it burns the toast into a specific picture, but it's still burnt toast. Yuck. :tongue

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the Romans considered themselves civilized, so their opinion doesn't count for much.

They were civilized compared to the people in their immediate surroundings.
Although several Asian societies come to mind that could compete with them.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Lutheran, and I believe the bread and wine are the flesh and blood. They're not symbols.

O.K. I'm not baiting you, I just hope you can give me a simple answer. Would you eat something with the imprint of an image of Christ etched or burned into it??

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I never understood this about Catholic communion. We're eating Jesus and drinking his blood? Ew! I had a Catholic friend growing up who insisted that when she partook of the communion, the grape juice and wafers were changed into the blood and body of Christ through the Pastor's hand.

I grew up Baptist, and when we took communion, he said that the wafers and the juice represented Jesus' body and blood because of the sacrifice He made so that we may live. That makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.