PDA

View Full Version : Revisions After Submission

12yroldwriter
09-16-2010, 12:44 AM
I have a problem. An agent requested sample chapters several months ago, so yesterday I sent him an inquiry as to what happened with them. He replied saying he was behind on submissions, sorry for the wait. My problem is that I've revised those chapters since I submitted to him, which I mentioned in my inquiry email, but he seemed to ignore. What should I do about this?

suki
09-16-2010, 12:51 AM
You said you mentioned in your inquiry email that you had since revised the chapters? And he didn't ask for them, and instead apologized for the delay?

Then you have a choice to make - you can leave it alone and wait. Or you can send him a followup email with the new chapters and say something in the email like, "Since you have not yet read my chapters, attached are a revised version."

BUT, since you already told him you had revised and he didn't ask for them, I'd be tempted to just wait.

How extensive were the revisions? Are they entirely different? If not, then I would leave it alone.

~suki

12yroldwriter
09-16-2010, 01:24 AM
How extensive were the revisions? Are they entirely different? If not, then I would leave it alone.

~suki[/QUOTE]

[I]Entirely[I] different? Not really, but pretty different. I chopped about half of the first chapter because I didn't need it; it was fluffy. And I also realized more recently that I had a mistake in numbering my chapters, which isn't a really big deal, but still something he might frown upon. Overall, I think I'm just going to leave it alone. If he rejects, there's no point in mentioning it again. If he requests more (wishful thinking), I'll probably elaborate more.

Susan Littlefield
09-16-2010, 05:24 AM
12yroldwirter:

Welcome!

If you have queried agents and they have asked for sample chapters, you need to leave your work alone. You never send out queries or send your novel until you are completely sure that you are done with the story. If any changes are needed, the agent will tell you.

As for this particular agent--he's got your chapters already. I would leave it alone.

No more revising. :)

12yroldwriter
09-17-2010, 03:29 AM
No more revising. :)

Thank you. I'll keep it in mind. And I'm sure I'm done now.