Many Police Not Taking Rape Seriously

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Testimony was heard before the Senate about police forces not taking rape seriously and in many cases, not even writing reports.

Testimony before the Senate

In one case, the victim who was forced at gun point to perform oral sex on her assailant during a robbery was arrested and charged with the robbery.

Appalled, horrified, disgusted and pissed off doesn't even begin to cover what I think of this

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... read an article on the topic several months back. Was said how several women had brought forth allegations of rape that were rather irrefutable and how the police had made light of the incidents and nothing had ultimately been done except to file paper work. Unbelievable, and indeed outrageous :-(

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Barbaric to say the least. I know in NY they have a SVU like the TV show. I remember even reading a book many years ago from a prosecutor who worked the cases.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
On a similar note.

I watch a reality show and the last couple weeks of it watched the after hours part of it on my computer.

One night one of the guests shared a 'game' he and his buddies play. They pick up a gal from a club/bar and one guy takes her in to have sex. His buddies wait an appropriate amount of time then barge into the room with a stop watch. The goal is for the guy with the girl to 'ride her' for 8 seconds.

He tells the others that the best way is doggie style as is easier to hold on to and make sure she doesn't have any covers to climb under. You have to stay 'hooked' up with her and not let her get away.

When a reply was offered that that sounded like rape, he just chuckled. When asked what the girl did the next day, 'Oh, it's just a one night stand, you don't ever see her again." When asked again about rape....he says...it was consensual so there fore not rape. And the person asking the question said, "Well maybe with you it was, but not with others watching."

This guy is from a very wealthy/powerful/well known family from a southern state. My first question was.....you confessed to it on TV. Isn't there some kind of charges that could be brought against you? I would think a Dr. would have a field day with him.

On the forum that comes with that site the replies were of outrage. Even the guys. I plan on writing the network, the ones that do the reality show, and the sponsors, and let them know I will not be watching or buying more of their stuff.

The mindset is just nuts.

Last edited:

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
Okay, I have to stand up here and say that every police officer I work with on sex offenses is smart, empathetic, and understanding.

They come in during the middle of the night. They stay until well after dark. They drive to interviews and polygraphs and meetings. Their families don't always see them because of the amount of time they spend working on cases.

Many of the officers who take on the responsibility of investigating these cases are conscientious, are hard-working, and are sympathetic to victims.

This gives officers a bad name; but it isn't a universal truth.

I work with them, on this type of case on a regular basis.

There are bad apples out there, just like in any professional, but it is NOT the norm.

POPASMOKE

Keep your turns up
Registered
Reaction score
Testimony was heard before the Senate about police forces not taking rape seriously and in many cases, not even writing reports.

In the first place, I think the title of your thread should have been:

Many NY, Maryland, and Philadelphia Police Not Taking Rape Seriously

As a former officer, I never "humbugged" a rape case. I was an inveterate junk yard dog when it came to sexual assaults of any kind. I have a mother, a sister and two daughters, and would invariably see their faces as the victim's.

There are 800,000 cops in this country, and thousands of departments. And while there are lapses and errors made by some, painting all of law enforcement with this brush is unfair. It's been my personal experience that the vast majority of officers feel the way I do.

I might also add that if there is a systemic problem within a particular agency, it's the leadership that sets the tone and priority for enforcement initiatives.

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
Makes one wonder how many bad apples does it take to spoil a 800,000 person bushel?

How rotten should an apple be before you throw it out? Who"s job should it be to pick through and throw the bad apples out?

I'm confident that each and every cop out there believes he's (she"s) an impeccable officer of the law. But we know that's not true, don't we.

Should we tolerate just one bad apple? two? A thousand?

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
On a similar note.

I watch a reality show and the last couple weeks of it watched the after hours part of it on my computer.

One night one of the guests shared a 'game' he and his buddies play. They pick up a gal from a club/bar and one guy takes her in to have sex. His buddies wait an appropriate amount of time then barge into the room with a stop watch. The goal is for the guy with the girl to 'ride her' for 8 seconds.

He tells the others that the best way is doggie style as is easier to hold on to and make sure she doesn't have any covers to climb under. You have to stay 'hooked' up with her and not let her get away.

When a reply was offered that that sounded like rape, he just chuckled. When asked what the girl did the next day, 'Oh, it's just a one night stand, you don't ever see her again." When asked again about rape....he says...it was consensual so there fore not rape. And the person asking the question said, "Well maybe with you it was, but not with others watching."

This guy is from a very wealthy/powerful/well known family from a southern state. My first question was.....you confessed to it on TV. Isn't there some kind of charges that could be brought against you? I would think a Dr. would have a field day with him.

On the forum that comes with that site the replies were of outrage. Even the guys. I plan on writing the network, the ones that do the reality show, and the sponsors, and let them know I will not be watching or buying more of their stuff.

The mindset is just nuts.

CW, I'm a bit taken aback by the implication there. No sane human, male or female would condone such a 'game'.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
If I were running that show, I'd have arrested him. If I didn't just kick down the door and punch him in the face.

Now, think of the ratings that would pull in.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
As a former officer, I never "humbugged" a rape case.
Nor did I. Nor did any of the officers I ever worked with.

Of course, where I worked, the sex crimes unit was headed up by a woman, who, if you'll excuse the sexism, was the toughest broad I ever knew. She was a good cop; she didn't automatically take anyone's story at face value.

But any officer who made light of a rape report would have had his gonads personally removed.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Makes one wonder how many bad apples does it take to spoil a 800,000 person bushel?

How rotten should an apple be before you throw it out? Who"s job should it be to pick through and throw the bad apples out?

I'm confident that each and every cop out there believes he's (she"s) an impeccable officer of the law. But we know that's not true, don't we.

Should we tolerate just one bad apple? two? A thousand?

Who said anything about tolerating any? The saying of it only takes 1 bad apple to spoil a bunch is to point that you get rid of the bad apples, you don't throw out the entire bunch because of 1 or 2 or even 2,000.

The behavior we're talking about is unacceptable. If it is from the leadership, the leadership needs to be replaced. If it is from the individual cops, they need to be fired. But there is nothing wrong with pointing out that not all police agencies do this. Not all police officers do this.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
MOD NOTE:

Discussions such as this have thrown fire before. At this point we might all remember that 1 + 1 = 2 and 50 + 50 = 100.

It would be dishonest to ignore that there is a true sum, OR to try and equate that sum to "All".

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
http://www.svfreenyc.org/resource_map_pd.html

Both the Special Victims Liaison Unit and the Sex Offender Monitoring Unit operate under the auspices of the Central Investigation and Resource Division of the Detective Bureau.
  • Specially trained female detectives answer your questions on the Sex Crime Report Hotline, 24 hours/day: (212) 267-RAPE
  • The Sex Offender Monitoring Unit collects, exchanges, disseminates and monitors information on sex offenders pursuant to the state Sex offender Registration Act.
  • The Special Victims Liaison Unit also arranges for sexual assault awareness and prevention lectures.
About Us

Definition of Sexual Violence

The NYC Alliance Against Sexual Assault defines sexual violence as: Any completed or attempted sexual act against a person’s will or against a person unable to give consent.
Sexual violence encompasses a continuum of acts, ranging from unwanted sexual comments or advances to completed rape. Anyone can experience sexual violence. While the majority of acts are perpetrated by someone known to the victim, anyone can perpetrate sexual violence--a stranger, a person in a position of power or trust, an acquaintance, a relative, a friend, or an intimate partner.
Vision

The New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault’s vision is a city free from sexual violence.

Mission

The mission of the New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault is to build the capacity of communities, organizations, and institutions to advance the right to live free from sexual violence and reduce the harm it causes individuals, families, and society.

What We Do

• Inform the community about available resources for services, education and training
• Document the problem of sexual assault/abuse in the city
• Analyze city system policy and its effect on survivors
• Improve systems through advocacy
• Educate the public
• Disseminate information
• Serve as a clearinghouse
• Represent the needs of NYC sexual assault/abuse survivors
• Link with other organizations to advance our agenda
• Initiate and support research on relevant issues

How to Get Involved

There are many opportunities to be involved. You can:
• Join the Fundraising committee
• Volunteer
• Contribute financial or other resources
• Participate in action alerts, advocacy and/or legislative awareness activities
• Receive newsletters

Funders

The New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault is supported by The New York State Department of Health, Division of Criminal Justice Services, The New York City Council, State Senator Thomas Duane and the Frank and Ruth E. Caruso Foundation.

From the NYC SVU website.

It's important to know it's out there. I'm not saying the NYC police are perfect, but every city, certainly every major city needs to have something like this.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
http://voicesandfaces.org/survivor_victoria.asp

Here's a story that drives the op. It was linked to on the same site.

Victoria Sherden understands this all too well, and that is why she became a police officer. After joining the force in 1986, she helped countless other survivors find support and understanding following their own sexual assaults. It is the understanding that she herself desperately needed from the police years earlier, but could not find.

For six years she had been beaten and raped repeatedly by her own husband. He was a "smooth talker" who always said it would never happen again - but it always did. Victoria tried to leave him many times but couldn't support three young children as a fast-food worker. In February of 1980, determined to leave him for good, Victoria took her children to her parents' house, in a different city. They knew she had been beaten, but she didn't tell them about the rapes because she felt ashamed, guilty for "failing" at her marriage, and afraid that her father and brothers would kill her husband and end up in jail.

Three months later, her husband came to her parents' house saying he was ready to discuss child support and divorce. After she got into his car to talk with him, he drove to an isolated wooded area, beat her severely, and raped her for what would be the last time.

"I had no idea where I was, and he had broken my glasses," remembers Victoria, but she managed to find a pay phone and called 911. The man who answered told her that because the attacker was her husband, there was nothing the police could do. "They didn't even attempt to help me get home," she remembers. "I walked for hours trying to find my way."

Life became even more difficult when Victoria discovered she was pregnant as a result of the rape. She had just had a baby six months earlier; she felt she had no choice but to have an abortion. "I carried the guilt for ten years before I felt God had forgiven me. One of the hardest things about telling my story now is telling about the abortion, because only two people know about that - I kept it hidden for over 25 years. But I am speaking out now because I think that it shows how rape can put you in a spot where you do things you don't believe in, and never thought you would have to choose to do. It changes your whole life."

Throughout it all, Victoria found an unfailing source of support in Mama T, the godmother of one of her children, whom she called the day after the rape. "She always let me know how beautiful I was and that I could overcome anything with the help of the Lord," says Victoria. "I owe her my life." Their congregation was another key source of support, as was another of her children's godmothers. For Victoria, healing was not an individual act but the result of the support she received from her two closest friends, who stood with her in the wake of her rape, and as she rebuilt her life.

As a police officer and community leader, Victoria worked within the system to make sure women who have been raped get support and a fair chance at justice, whether the perpetrator is a stranger, acquaintance, boyfriend, or husband. For many survivors, the experience of dealing with law enforcement is difficult at best, but Victoria did what she could to change that.

Change is also the reason that Victoria is speaking publicly about her rape for the first time. "The other day, my friend Mama T asked me why I was opening up an old can of worms. I explained that it is a relief to tell my story and to know that someone who is or has gone through what I have will read this. They need to know they are not alone."

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Spousal rape was legal in many states until the 70s and beyond

Last edited:

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I try to avoid threads like this because the topic is so enraging. "Acceptable" rape has being going on a long time. The best solution imho is more women in authority on the police force. . . .

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Is the legal system really still this medieval?

I can be. The story doesn't say when this happened. She became a police office in 1986. I imagine this must have been some time before that, I'm going to guess in the late 70's, give or take.

I worked with the police department as a cadet in the early 90s. Went on patrol and did community policing for the housing PO (Back when it was a different department) in exchange for college tuition. I started the academy but had to drop out due to medical issues.

I went through some training as a cadet, about two full months in the summer then every other weekend for awhile. Part of it dealt with what to do with cases of rape or sexual abuse. How to talk to victims. (ask permission to sit, write notes, ect). There was none of this nonsense.

Most cops I knew would never act the way and it certainly wasn't SOP. But there were some A=-hold cops even then. There always will be in any group.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I try to avoid threads like this because the topic is so enraging. "Acceptable" rape has being going on a long time. The best solution imho is more women in authority on the police force. . . .
I dunno, I've heard women on jury hearings in rape cases tend to be unsympathetic and blame the victim, mainly because they don't want to believe that the victim didn't do anything that they wouldn't do to attract a rapist.

Last edited:

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno, I've heard women on jury hearings in rape cases tend to be unsympathetic and blame the victim, mainly because they don't want to believe that the victim didn't do anything that they wouldn't do to attract a rapist.

I'm not sure what you mean. Perhaps you could elaborate??