2010 Fall Television Season

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
When I was a kid, the new Fall Season was like Christmas. You'd get all these promos of all these wonderful shows that you couldn't wait to see. But like finding out Santa Claus isn't real, getting burned not only by bad programming, but by seeing shows you loved killed prematurely has pretty much rid me of that feeling. Still, for some reason, I'm a little curious this year.

So what shows are you looking forward to?

Which will be the next big thing?

What shows do you think will suck right out of the gates?

Which shows will surprise?

TV-Guide schedule

So far, about the only one I'm looking forward to is the remake of "Hawaii-Five-O," specifically because I want to see Grace Park in a bikini. :D

Also, "No Ordinary Family" seems like "The Incredibles" meet real life. I'll give it a try at least. It might be fun.

"S#*! My Dad Says" might have been interesting as a tweet or two, but a whole show? Sorry. Sounds like a really bad Archie Bunker without the intelligence, despite my reverence of William Shatner.

And I'm predicting "Outsourced" will last about 6 episodes. It sounds like a 3-minute SNL skit and I don't see how it has any legs. I think I'd get tired of ethnic jokes and potty humor after about 5 minutes. Wait, yes. I did. I watched one of their clips and kept checking my watch, even though it was only 2 minutes.

So, how does the new fall season look to you?

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Eh. I'll check out Lone Star, Outlaws, and The Event. Nikita's pilot was okay, as was Hellcats. Terriers already looks like a goner.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Call me a cynic, or disheartened by pilot season's lackluster results, or whatever, but I think this year has a bumper crop of duds, from the promos I've seen.

I'm curious about the Event, but I'm afraid it's another expensive serial and will have to hang heavily on the strength of its writing. Only time will tell.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes, I've heard "The Event" is trying to be this season's "Lost." And trying too hard. The pilot is supposedly pretty convoluted and time jumps too much.

I also heard that the pilot for "Detroit-1-8-7" has already been scrapped and reshot. Not a good sign.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Eh. I'll check out Lone Star, Outlaws, and The Event. Nikita's pilot was okay, as was Hellcats. Terriers already looks like a goner.
Still more proof that I'm not the demographic. I saw part of Hellcats and thought it was basically unwatchable. Yet I liked Terriers quite a bit.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, "No Ordinary Family" has the potential to be good, but I'm not getting overly excited yet.

"Mike And Molly" is set to DVR, I'm interested to see how they are going to portray Teh Fat People--as the usual joke, or the novel concept of actual humans.

Ditto for "Outsourced". I'm concerned they aren't going to go any deeper than an Apu scene from the Simpsons with this one. Plus you've got the white guy turning up to be the boss of all the locals, which seems like a setup for a string of terrible racist "jokes" (I haven't seen the movie, but I can only assume it's handled in a more intelligent way than the average sitcom is). But a sitcom set in India could be great.

And some crime? spy? conspiracy? show called "Undercovers" that looked moderately interesting.

And next month BBCA is premiering a detective show called "Luther" starring Idris Elba, who is awesome.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to No Ordinary Family and Hawaii Five-0, but those are the only ones. I may check out The Undercovers and The Event, but I wouldn't say that I'm excited about them. I recorded the premiere of Nikita, but I haven't watched it yet. Oh - I forgot about Boardwalk Empire on HBO! I'm pretty excited to watch that one on Sunday. I think that's it - I haven't been too impressed with this season's offerings.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I will give Hawaii Five-O a try. Never seen the original, so I don't have anything to compare it to (and in the case of a remake, that is probably a good thing). I like Alex O'Laughlin, he needs a good show. And I like Grace Park.

The only other new show I am watching is Blue Bloods with Tom Selleck. Well, because it has Tom Selleck. I adore him and will watch him in anything.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I will give Hawaii Five-O a try. Never seen the original, so I don't have anything to compare it to (and in the case of a remake, that is probably a good thing). I like Alex O'Laughlin, he needs a good show. And I like Grace Park.

Honestly? Hawaii-Five-O was like most late 60s cop shows. Heavy on the morality plays of good vs. evil, that the cops are good and right and just and criminals are just bad people. And let's not forget the 60s anti-drug attitude. If you've seen old eps of Dragnet or Adam-12, its similar to that except it has women in grass skirts.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen Lonestar and The Event. Lonestar was mostly setup, like most pilots, and it could be interesting but by the end I just didn't care. The Event is a little more interesting, reminiscent of 24 more than LOST, but it frequently shifts POV characters to purposefully withhold information from the viewing audience. It's supposed to build intrigue, but it's pretty frustrating instead. I hope it's not a trend they continue in further episodes.

I may or may not check out a second episode of both shows.

I do want to see how Undercovers and Running Wilde (from the creator of Arrested Development) work out.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly pay no attention to "new seasons" any more. Mainly because they seem to occur at random times and last for (take your pick) length of time. I've seen ads for new shows that sound interesting, and then they don't show up at all or not until weeks later. Then stations will air an episode multiple times at various times of day/night (using the same promos stating it's the 'new episode'), or run a marathon of previous shows before the new ep, or have previous seasons showing on affiliated stations at the same time as the so-called new season... bleah. I don't have time or interest in creating a logarithm to keep track of things. If I happen to catch enough episodes of a show over a period of months, I may be inclined to get the DVD. Otherwise, eh - it's mostly white noise for me anyway.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only new show really on my radar is Boardwalk Empire and alas, I don't have HBO. I've heard positive things about F/X's Terriers so I might try to catch up on that. I want to have faith and be intrigued by The Event but I agree with everyone else here who's said it looks like it's trying way too hard to be the next Lost-style "super-mysterious long-arc internal-mythology-heavy show."

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly? Hawaii-Five-O was like most late 60s cop shows. Heavy on the morality plays of good vs. evil, that the cops are good and right and just and criminals are just bad people. And let's not forget the 60s anti-drug attitude. If you've seen old eps of Dragnet or Adam-12, its similar to that except it has women in grass skirts.

Sorry, I have heard of it, but I was born in the late 70's. I have never even noticed it in reruns on tv.

And nope, never seen Dragnet of even heard of Adam-12.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
The Event and Boardwalk like everyone. No hope for anything else.

It doesn't help that with a DVR, I never watch the previews of coming shows, and I don't search them out either.

I'm content to let the shows develop, and whatever makes it through the full season and hits DVD next summer will be the shows I try out. If it's good, I pick up in season two. If it gets canceled in-between, I don't bother.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
But the old Hawaii Five-O had one of the greatest lines ever. Danno and McGarrett bust a crash pad. Hippies are lying all over, passed out. McGarrett tries to question one of them, but the guy just mumbles and falls back asleep.

McGarrett finds a stash of white powder, tastes it, (not the smartest thing to do) turns to Danno and says:

"Pure speed."

But when I was in Salt Lake City this summer, one of the local cable stations had The Rockford Files on, 5:00-6:00 every afternoon. I was in TV heaven.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's funny but I don't really care about the new shows.

I'm just looking forward to the return of my old favorites: House, NCIS, Criminal Minds and Medium.

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
Do you mean the BBC one, or are they making an American version?

SyFy is doing an American remake of the series, but that doesn't air until summer 2011 or so. I gather that the Mitchell-analogue character will be played by Sam Witwer, who is the voice and actor/model behind Galen "Starkiller" Merek in the Force Unleashed games. And the George-analogue is played by the guy who was Jimmy Olsen in the new Superman movie.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I'll probably watch the Law and Order series and S*** My Dad Says (this one may be bad, but William Shatner could be entertaining in any role :D).

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Looks like NCIS and Criminal Minds are the only shows I have any interest in but I won't be able to watch them anyways so it's a moot point. I could give Castle a shot, I haven't seen the first two seasons though. But it has Nathan Fillion, one of the few actors I both recognize and like, so we'll see.