Nudge: What if they don't respond?

Author or Princess

Registered
Reaction score
I queried a well-known agent in NYC and got an immediate request for a full from her assistant. We sent a couple of emails back and forth, and I always got a response in 1 or 2 days. I sent the full 3 months ago. I nudged last week, sending it to the assistant - the only person there I've had contact with. I have not gotten a response.

Do I just wait? Do I try to reach the actual agent? Her website is very sparse and has only a query email, with no staff or other agents listed, so I don't know if that assistant is even still there. Do I assume no response means they aren't interested?

Thanks for any input.
AorP

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Resend your very polite query monthly until you get a response, cc the query e-mail address.

Danthia

If she's always been prompt, it's possible she was on vacation last week or just swamped. Give her some time to settle back in or clear her desk if that's the case and follow up next week.

Three months on a full is not uncommon. Three to six months is pretty typical.

Reaction score
I believe Nathan Bransford uses the phrase 'achingly polite' on his blog as regards this kind of situation.

IHeartWriting

Lurking in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jblynn.wordpress.com
Unfortunately there are some who will never respond to requested manuscripts or nudges. It can be frustrating/disheartening. Don't let it become the focus of your world.

Concentrate on your next project or sending out more queries.

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
Whatever you do, wait at least another month before emailing again. You don't want to annoy them into saying no.

lnmorton

Perpetual Lurker
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat - I've been waiting seven months on a partial. I've nudged twice (at three months and six months) with no response. The agent is one who usually responds to all queries, much less requested material, so the radio silence is weird to say the least.

FWIW, I plan to nudge once more, once one last month has passed, and then give up. Three and out seems like a good strategy to me.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't hear anything after a nudge, you should probably just move along. As a previous poster said, if you nudge a month is a good time frame to get a response. If you don't, they're probably not interested.

Eiro

Pull no punches!
Registered
Reaction score
How can you annoy them into saying No, instead of Yes? I thought the quality of the manuscript was all that matters.

The quality of the manuscript is important, yes, but if you prove to be annoying, insecure, and pushy in the query stage (when really, the agent doesn't owe you anything), they'll worry about how much worse you'll act if they take you on as a client. No one wants to work with someone they don't like, and being that annoying, insecure, pushy would-be client is a really good way to cool the agent' enthusiasm for your work. You don't want to make the agent decide that getting your manuscript isn't worth dealing with your personality.

Which is not to say that you should never nudge -- mistakes happen, agents forget things, et cetera. Nudges have their place. You should just be polite and patient when you do nudge.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
How can you annoy them into saying No, instead of Yes? I thought the quality of the manuscript was all that matters.

The quality of the manuscript matters much more than anything else, but it's never all that matters. No one wants to work for a nagging boss.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Author or Princess, I would move on and forget about it. Like Jamesaritchie said, you're risking annoying them by nagging.

There are other agents out there, ones who will be more timely.

I've had full requests more than a year after the original partial and it was kind of nice to say "Sorry, the ms is no longer available." :)

Author or Princess

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your opinions. Here's the plan: I will wait one month and give one more 'achingly polite' nudge (cc'ing the query address) and then give up. I will continue to work on my next project and will just chalk up the deafening silence to the way it goes sometimes.

I remain puzzled that they she was so quick with emails and so enthusiastic about the ms and then seemilngly dropped from the face of the earth, but for me to be puzzled about something is nothing new....

A or P

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to hijack the thread, but when is a good time for a first nudge to an agent with a full? Is three months reasonable, or should I keep waiting? This is an agent with a good reputation for responding and I'm confident I'll hear from her (provided she got the thing okay in the first place).

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your opinions. Here's the plan: I will wait one month and give one more 'achingly polite' nudge (cc'ing the query address) and then give up. I will continue to work on my next project and will just chalk up the deafening silence to the way it goes sometimes.

I remain puzzled that they she was so quick with emails and so enthusiastic about the ms and then seemilngly dropped from the face of the earth, but for me to be puzzled about something is nothing new....

A or P

You have been querying other agents in the interim, though, correct?

MikeGrant

Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to hijack the thread, but when is a good time for a first nudge to an agent with a full? Is three months reasonable, or should I keep waiting? This is an agent with a good reputation for responding and I'm confident I'll hear from her (provided she got the thing okay in the first place).

Three months is good, I reckon. Be achingly polite and reiterate your keenness!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Three months is good, I reckon. Be achingly polite and reiterate your keenness!
Fabulous. I'm good at achingly polite and obsequious keenness. I'd get repped fer sure it that's what it depended on!

Thanks!