unsolicited queries?

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
i emailed an agent who doesnt take them and explained that i really think she would work for my ms but i am unable to go meet with her at conferences because of my location. she emailed back saying i needed to learn the meaning and move from there. so when an agent says no to unsolicted what are they really meaning? i always though it meant not unless agent asks because of conferences or things like that. need help here with a definition. thanks.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would take it to mean they don't want to be emailed without prior discussion about the MS.

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
You're correct about the meaning. If an agent doesn't accept unsolicited queries, she only takes queries from people who have been recommended by people she knows or from people she has already spoken to, probably at a conference. Unfortunately, even if you're book is a great fit, you're still not an exception to this policy.

There are many, many agents who accept unsolicited queries, so focus on them. Also, there are writing conferences in many locations, not just New York. Are you sure you can't attend one? Have you joined local writing groups? Sometimes you can make good contacts that way.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
When an agent switches to "unsolicited" that means they're not actively growing a list. They're not looking for new talent to keep them afloat. Instead, they're looking to focus on their existing clients. If somebody they trust recommends them something, or if they meet something that really piques their interest, they might give it a read, but they're not looking for slush.

If an agent is not accepting unsolicited queries, move along.

BrooklynLee

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto Ferret -- there are so many agents actively seeking new clients, it seems a waste to spend too much time and effort pursuing one that really isn't.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
i emailed an agent who doesnt take them and explained that i really think she would work for my ms but i am unable to go meet with her at conferences because of my location. she emailed back saying i needed to learn the meaning and move from there. so when an agent says no to unsolicted what are they really meaning? i always though it meant not unless agent asks because of conferences or things like that. need help here with a definition. thanks.

agent does not care if you have the funds to travel to a conference, it means they are at a point where they have the luxury of not taking anyone they do not wish to actively seek out, basically. Maybe they are semi-retired, maybe they rep Stephen King and so the money is quite good. In either case it means they are comfortable enough they do not need to "look for" or "work for" business and they do not wish to see any queries. think of it as "don't call us, we'll call you"

good luck

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
World Fantasy Con is in Columbus, Ohio this October. I don't know much about it, but I hear it's a good one, so you might check that out.

Nicole

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
thanks for the help. heres the problem: i cant afford the 165.00 to go. i am not working right now because of an illness. is there any other ways to meet agents?

Focus on querying agents who *do* accept unsolicited queries. Meeting them doesn't necessarily lead to signing - many, many people are signed off unsolicited queries - far more than are signed of casual conference meetings.

~suki

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
I joined a local writers' group that has monthly meetings with guest speakers. Some of the guest speakers are agents or writers, so this is a good way to make contacts. It's cheap, too ($5 a meeting). Look for local groups like this. Meetup.com can help you find them.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Queryshark is also very helpful - queryshark.blogspot.com

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just an FYI, be very careful about any "help" writing query letters that you have to pay for or that guarantees results - red flags and sirens wail. ;)

~suki

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
When you see the word "no", it always means do not do it. Period. No unsolicited queries means do not query me under any circumstances. Not by e-mail, not if you see me at a conference, not ever, for any reason.

Having said this, it's often safe to ignore this when a publisher says the same thing, if you know how to get past the gatekeeper.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... if you really think a particular agent would be a perfect, perfect fit and that they would really dig your ms and salivate all over it you can always make a pest of yourself and query them even if they say "no." The worst they can do is call you a stupid fool and few other choice words. I queried two agents who said they weren't accepting queries. One relayed a polite, "no thanks"; the other, a request, which ultimately went nowhere.

-------------------

Thanks Elindson. You're in a good genre. Very popular. G'luck. What ever you do, definitely start at the top of your list and slowly work your way down. Always the best way to go. (Couldn't resist chucking in some more 2 cents.)

Last edited:

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
thanks for the help. heres the problem: i cant afford the 165.00 to go. i am not working right now because of an illness. is there any other ways to meet agents?

send your query to them; it may sound harsh, but they are far more interested in your query than in any personal attributes you may bring. I would guess the vast majority query entirely by mail and e-mail without going to conferences.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... if you really think a particular agent would be a perfect, perfect fit and that they would really dig your ms and salivate all over it you can always make a pest of yourself and query them even if they say "no." The worst they can do is call you a stupid fool and few other choice words.
I honestly wouldn't query anybody who says "no unsolicited". If they say "no" but later reopen, you resubmit. They've already said "no", so why should they change their minds? There's also a good chance they'll remember you as somebody who didn't pay attention to the previous listing. That might also sound harsh, but many agents are incredibly strict about their guidelines.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... good point, Ben. Something to keep in mind for future reference. (No advice is harsh so long as it's soundly based.)