Ramble

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I have done everything other than write today. I've bitched about not knowing who to ask to publish or agent my work. I've read other people's queries. I've actually done some work at work. I've opened every separate chapter document on my google docs account, checked word count and figured out how much I still have to write.

I've mused in a self-indulgent fashion with regards to how bad my work is, and how lacking in true talent it actually is.

I've written this post.

It's not writer's block - I know what scenes I need to write - it's that 'almost finished self doubt' period. It's killing me.

Plus I'm bored. Who's going to join me? :D

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I *have* written today, but only a little bit, and I don't feel like doing any more tonight, so I'll join you!

As for "almost finished self doubt", I don't really get that - I get "ready to submit self doubt" instead. I'm waiting for that one golden day when I feel invincible - then I'll submit to every publisher on my list. Once it's out there, it's up to them.

Although I still need to Americanise my first novel for American e-publishers. Going to be such fun. I'll do that next month when 50/90 has finished, before NaNo starts. *sigh*

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
oh, it's just that my work is at that point where all the fun stuff is written, and it's down to the hard scenes I've been putting off, the bridging scenes, or the serious ones that aren't fun. No more funny come-back scenes, no more sex scenes, no more love scenes. It's all down to boring move the story along stuff, boo! LOL

I can justify the break since I've written an average of 2000 words a day for the last 3 weeks :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, so you're not writing in order then? I see...

I've only ever written in order (except some songs, where I'll jump a verse ahead for no apparent reason then come back and fill in the blanks...) so I just power through the "boring" stuff knowing that another fun scene is just on the horizon. Of course, I always try to make even the technically boring-to-write scenes fun to read... not sure if I succeed, though, lol.

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote the first seven chapters in sequence, got stuck, wrote a whole lot of random scenes, then linked them to each other, and thus had the end of the book written.

I had hoped to write twenty chapters. I have the first and last halves of the book written, so now I'm missing half of chapter seven, the whole of chapter eight, and then roughly all chapters between ten and about fifteen.

I hope it's entertaining, like you said, but meh, they're hard and boring scenes to write, since they involve checking all these random details to make sure it all flows and hangs together nicely, sigh!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
That's one thing I like about writing in order - assuming I don't take forever to write the book, I can keep in mind all the relevant information that's been mentioned so far, so I know what to say when I have to reference something later on.

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
you're totally right there. I started off writing this one with the intention to write in order, but I got stuck and I still haven't been able to jump that particular plot hurdle. Grumble. I'll get there eventually, but my guess is I'll have to work back from the end and then go through to check for continuity :)

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
it is! and it's more than over half now, hurrah! update sig time I think!

I'm a bit tired of the whole 'oh, I'm the vampire queen and I'm taking over the world' paranormal romance. What about two vamps that fall in love, and have to deal with their various every day problems, as well as those of being a vampire?

That's pretty much what I've written, LOL

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a vampire novella where the MC vamp is just trying to stay alive in a world of vamp politics, where a psycho vamp is trying to take over the world by killing all the royalty. The MC isn't royalty, but she was made by a Prince, so she has a certain amount of power in the underworld.

And of course she's in love with a human. ;)

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
oooh interesting. How does she stop herself from biting him? or sucking him dry? My vamp is an emote. She gets drunk off emotions.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
She bites her girlfriend often, but the vamps in my story can sense when their "victim" (who enjoys the bite) is about to pass out, and death follows shortly afterward, so she can stop in time because of knowing when her girl is about to pass out.

Also, the royals passed a law when technology started to be prevalent that you can't kill those you feed off, because forensics would be able to possibly pinpoint vampire venom and come to know they exist.

That doesn't stop the psycho antagonist vamp from killing though. :p