PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with an agent...

Mazurka
09-12-2010, 10:31 PM
So I've recently heard back from an agent at an agency in New York (small but legitimate, I checked them out) who told me that she "loved" the manuscript I sent her and wants to call me and "have a conversation." Can any of you more wizened scribes tell me what the hell this means?

And also...I have no idea what kind of questions I'm supposed to be asking during this "conversation." Or what I'm supposed to be on the lookout for. Her firm is reputable, but I don't know if she's necessarily a power player, or right for my book, or whatever...can anyone give me tips, or point me in the right direction on this?

dgrintalis
09-12-2010, 10:36 PM
She could intend to offer you representation or she may want to discuss revisions with you, with the ultimate goal of offering representation if you are receptive to her revision ideas.

With respect to 'right for your book', you want an agent who loves and is enthusiastic about your work, whether that agent is from a large or small agency.

suki
09-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Ditto Dgrintalis. And as for questions, agent rachelle gardner has a good list of the kinds of questions you could ask on her blog.

For me, I researched the agent's sales and experience, but I wanted to know about their styles of communication and what they expect from heir clients/ and what I should expect in return. And I wanted to know specifically how they saw my book - ie, how would they pitch it, and any areas of suggested revisions, so I could make sure we were on the same page and they were enthusiastic about the book.

If the agent is calling about a possible revise and resubmit, they may ask about other things you've written and would likely explain the proposed revisions. Then you could ask for some time to consider them and, if you agreed they would improve the book, actually do the revisions.

If the agent is calling to offer representation, you could tell the agent you have other agents also considering the manuscript (if you do) and ask for some reasonable period of time to give them the courtesy of also considering representation - like a week to 10 days. then you email the other agents with the subject line offer of representation and advise them that you have an offer from an agent, and could they please let you know by such and such date whether they are still considering the manuscript.

good luck. :)

~suki

mgencleyn
09-21-2010, 03:59 AM
Or you can just address your concerns in an email/letter with her, simply asking what to expect from the conversation. *shrugs*

Seriously. If you're going to have a working relationship with this agent, communication will be vital. She's going to represent you, your interests. It's a professional relationship you'll be developing with her. Get comfortable asking those questions.