What's this outfit called?

Status
Not open for further replies.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I know this isn't directly related to sci-fi/fantasy, but this sort of outfit shows up often in sci-fi and/or fantasy.

GameFrontDetails.jpg

I know she's wearing a unitard, but I want to know what the thing over the unitard is called. I wanna say tunic, but that doesn't seem right. Anyone know? Thanks!

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
It could be a tabard for women, though, I think a tabard usually covers more and is of one piece.

Your picture looks as if it may be several different items, and not one whole.

e.i. Belt, shoulders, middle piece, and wrists, they look like they can be seperate items, worn apart from the others.

I'm not sure, sorry. Not much help.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
In any sort of historical setting you would not have unitards. A unitard requires really stretchy modern fabric such as lycra, spandex, or nylon. More realistically that would be a long sleeve shirt and leggings/trousers under the tabard/tunic/surcoat (this particular version is much more revealing than any of those would have been historically). The shirt and leggings might be made of either thin flexible leather, linen, wool, or a wool/linen blend. Cotton if your setting has cotton, historical European settings didn't. Silk's also possible but it wouldn't look quite like it does in this picture.

Ariella

Registered
Reaction score
I suppose you could call it a non-religious scapular.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
It's more like a tabbard.
That sounds about right. Thanks!

In any sort of historical setting you would not have unitards. A unitard requires really stretchy modern fabric such as lycra, spandex, or nylon. More realistically that would be a long sleeve shirt and leggings/trousers under the tabard/tunic/surcoat (this particular version is much more revealing than any of those would have been historically). The shirt and leggings might be made of either thin flexible leather, linen, wool, or a wool/linen blend. Cotton if your setting has cotton, historical European settings didn't. Silk's also possible but it wouldn't look quite like it does in this picture.
Well good thing this is from KOTOR. :tongue

I was just using it as an example, because I have a character wearing something similar in design. And yes, it's set in the future too. Yay for spandex!

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
This is because I know that's what's-her-lightside-always-on-my-case-for-taking-bribes from KOTOR.

So, the for-reals Jedi outfits (Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon style, you know), there are two layers of tunics, topped with a tabard and obi (sash). Bastilla's outfit there seems to really just be the under-tunic and tabard of her own styling. Because she's too cool for school or something. So you could probably just call it a tunic-and-tabard style of outfit.

Sidenote, I'm not a cosplayer. I just really, seriously, would love to be a Jedi.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It is a fairly unusual configuration and I am having trouble thinking of a situation where anyone would want to wear it as normal dress. But I would call that (from what I can see) a combination of loincloth and cowl or tabard.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first thought was "impractical".

On the serious side, it's pretty much what I think of when I think of the harnesses women wear on Barsoom (Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars series). "Harness" was a word used for leather armor back about 100 years ago. Not that this is much in the way of armor, but it's what I think of.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Hey! It's Bastila!

(I just started this game on Xbox. :) )
Yep! :D One of my favorite games. I'm thinking of reinstalling it, try out the good side for once.

My first thought was "impractical".

On the serious side, it's pretty much what I think of when I think of the harnesses women wear on Barsoom (Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars series). "Harness" was a word used for leather armor back about 100 years ago. Not that this is much in the way of armor, but it's what I think of.
I'll have to check that out, never heard of the series before. And I don't think there's much armor against lightsabers so might as well wear what ya want. ;)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to check that out, never heard of the series before. And I don't think there's much armor against lightsabers so might as well wear what ya want. ;)

If you're good enough with a sword-type weapon, you generally don't need armor 'cause the other guy's dead too quickly. ;)

* believes in the John Carter of Mars style of fighting

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
The lightside ending is okay but the evil ending is better overall.
Ahh, but I heard there was some lesbian feelings with the cat girl if you played good female.

If you're good enough with a sword-type weapon, you generally don't need armor 'cause the other guy's dead too quickly. ;)

* believes in the John Carter of Mars style of fighting
Tis true, which is why I prefer Chinese fighting movies. No armor, no problem.

Really? Hmm. I've gone lightside by default, but perhaps I should reconsider. :)

I will say, the darkside comments in the dialogue crack me up!
Come to the dark side, we have cookies. :evil

My first thoughts were "hmm, looks like the 'armor' women warriors used to wear in good ol' school D&D, with those little paintable figurines."
By "armor" do you mean thongs, knee high boots, and windows in their chest plates? :tongue

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Urban legend i'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.