Khan University

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
No, this is not a university about the Eugenics Wars, nor a Star Trek gag.

Rather, it's something far more awesome

http://singularityhub.com/2010/09/11/is-the-khan-academy-the-future-of-education-video/

Originally developed as a means of helping his cousins with math, Salman Khan’s efforts have expanded into 1800+ videos on YouTube, with nearly 22 million views between them. In these brief 10-15 minute tutorials, Khan explains basic (and not so basic) math concepts in a concise manner that students can easily digest and reference later. The academy also includes many videos on non-math topics like biology, history, and the economics of a cupcake factory. Khan Academy videos are viewed more than 70,000 times per day – that’s more students than most major universities.

And it's all free.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
...no.

And before anyone goes, "Blah blah, can't replace teachers and classrooms," I'd like to point out that...well, this is supposed to be a supplement to classroom education, not a replacement.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Fine, no extra cost beyond the internet connection. Which, by the way, has been extending it's fingers to the third world faster than you'd think. Due, in no small part, to the works of the fine people at One Laptop For Every Child.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Zoombie, for pointing this out. It's pretty darn neat. :)

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah! I saw something about this guy...or rather heard about him...on TV one early morning when I was half-asleep, half-awake. Very cool. Thanks for the info. I definitely want to check him out!