PDA

View Full Version : Book Titles

Ronald Rellinger
09-12-2010, 01:07 AM
I have a question on locating book titles that have been published. As I write novels, short stories, or even articles, I need to know if one of my fellow authors has already used the same title that I would like to use. I have always just used the Internet search engines like Google and searched for the title.

My question is this. Is there a better place on the internet to search to insure I am not duplicating another authors title? I have always worried that I will someday accidental use a published title. I checked at Bowkerlink where ISBN numbers are listed, but even then, have I covered all the bases.

Ronald Dean Rellinger

Michael Thorsett
09-12-2010, 01:25 AM
I do this: I check both NYPL and Los Angeles (City and County) public library catalogs. They're all three online, and available to the public without registration.

scarletpeaches
09-12-2010, 01:29 AM
You can use whatever title you like. Titles aren't copyrighted.

Freelancer
09-12-2010, 01:35 AM
You can use whatever title you like. Titles aren't copyrighted.Not exactly. Many of them are trademarked instead. If a title is a trademark, from that moment you can't use that title as your main title, especially if the trademarked title belongs to another novel or a different, parent product. Copyrights and general rights also applies for few titles if they're covering an entire universe or an entire brand.

James D. Macdonald
09-12-2010, 01:36 AM
The rules for titles are a) They should be easy to spell, and b) they shouldn't be embarrassing to say aloud.

There are a couple of further ones: Avoid trademarks, and avoid confusion.
And don't worry: Your publisher's marketing department will assign a title if they don't like the one you provided.

scarletpeaches
09-12-2010, 01:37 AM
Unless you're writing a book called Harry Potter and Indiana Jones of the Sith I don't see the problem. You can call your book what you like. Hell, there are a thousand different The Devil You Knows out there and it didn't stop me calling one of my books that.

Ronald Rellinger
09-12-2010, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Ronald Dean Rellinger

writeonsandy
09-12-2010, 07:13 AM
And depending on what you write, don't fall in love with your title because more often than not it gets changed.

s.

Birol
09-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Unless you're writing a book called Harry Potter and Indiana Jones of the Sith I don't see the problem.

Damn. You mean that's been taken already? I thought I was being so original.

IrishWristwatch
09-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Unless you're writing a book called Harry Potter and Indiana Jones of the Sith I don't see the problem. You can call your book what you like. Hell, there are a thousand different The Devil You Knows out there and it didn't stop me calling one of my books that.

"Harry Potter and Indiana Jones of the Sith"

Best, Book idea, EVER!

scarletpeaches
09-12-2010, 04:34 PM
That's MY idea, dammit!

seun
09-12-2010, 04:44 PM
"Harry Potter and Indiana Jones of the Sith"

Best, Book idea, EVER!

I wrote a book ages ago that featured a schoolboy wizard who goes on a quest to find a magic ring while being stalked by an albino monk who works for a secret Catholic orginisation who are in league with tall, blue aliens who live in a forest with dragons and stuff.

Terie
09-12-2010, 06:27 PM
That's MY idea, dammit!

Yeah, but ideas aren't any more copyrightable than titles. Bwahaha! :D

Rhoda Nightingale
09-12-2010, 09:27 PM
You can always type it into Amazon, if you're going with an internet search.

And, just echoing what everyone else said about titles not being copyrighted, and you might wind up having to change it anyhow.